GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 thoughts"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/02/01 at 19:10
Regular
I think that sony probably made a mistake in releasing so few playstation 2's in the UK before christmas, at a very high price in comparison to other consoles.

Before christmas, most people who wanted a playstation 2 couldn't get hold of one. This meant that many people (especially children) bought something different, or had a different christmas present. Now that christmas is over, many people are likely to be reluctant to spend £299 on a console (I don't have that sort of money to spend). Also, since the Playstation 2 was released on 24 November, details of other consoles (X-Box and Gamecube) have been announced, so many people may not buy a Playstation 2 even if they do have the money to do so(including some people who may have wanted a playstation 2 before christmas). Sony seemed to have counted on people ordering anyone, and getting the console in the new year, but it seems as if most people have not done so, and have instead waited to see what happens once it is actually released. This means that many major games manufacturers are waiting before releasing their games, or switching to other platforms, since so few people have a playstation 2 in order to play games. As a result, apart from launch titles, games on the PS2 are very few and far between, and many people will not buy the console until they know that it has manufacturers support (this has been mentioned elsewhere). Before christmas I was seriously considering purchasing a PS2, until I realised that I would have to order a long time before the game is released. Now, I have instead upgraded my PC, and will wait until more details of other consoles are made known, or the price drops considerably. I have now decided that I will not buy a console for more that £200, which I think is quite enough. So, sony have certainly lost me as a customer; I know several other people who they might well have lost.

I would be interested to know what other people think about the viability of purchasing a PS2, taking into account the current market.
Wed 14/02/01 at 19:10
Regular
I think that sony probably made a mistake in releasing so few playstation 2's in the UK before christmas, at a very high price in comparison to other consoles.

Before christmas, most people who wanted a playstation 2 couldn't get hold of one. This meant that many people (especially children) bought something different, or had a different christmas present. Now that christmas is over, many people are likely to be reluctant to spend £299 on a console (I don't have that sort of money to spend). Also, since the Playstation 2 was released on 24 November, details of other consoles (X-Box and Gamecube) have been announced, so many people may not buy a Playstation 2 even if they do have the money to do so(including some people who may have wanted a playstation 2 before christmas). Sony seemed to have counted on people ordering anyone, and getting the console in the new year, but it seems as if most people have not done so, and have instead waited to see what happens once it is actually released. This means that many major games manufacturers are waiting before releasing their games, or switching to other platforms, since so few people have a playstation 2 in order to play games. As a result, apart from launch titles, games on the PS2 are very few and far between, and many people will not buy the console until they know that it has manufacturers support (this has been mentioned elsewhere). Before christmas I was seriously considering purchasing a PS2, until I realised that I would have to order a long time before the game is released. Now, I have instead upgraded my PC, and will wait until more details of other consoles are made known, or the price drops considerably. I have now decided that I will not buy a console for more that £200, which I think is quite enough. So, sony have certainly lost me as a customer; I know several other people who they might well have lost.

I would be interested to know what other people think about the viability of purchasing a PS2, taking into account the current market.
Thu 15/02/01 at 07:29
Everyone who as asked me had decided not to buy one, well, if they don't wanna have fun... don't force them.

The PS2 is such a marvelous machine - with a few good launch titles, but with 100's or kick-a$$ ones coming in march/april/may! My advice is to get one because:

Buy console = more games develloped = more customers = The PS2 will be the biggest thing since the lightbulb! (and 3,000 times more intelegent)
Thu 15/02/01 at 19:18
Regular
the PS2 aint gonna sell until it comes down in price. it aint gonna come down in price until GC and x-box come along. then we will just have to see what happens.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.