GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gears of War 2"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gears of War 2'.
Tue 28/04/09 at 17:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
I never did have the first Gears of War, although i have played it, so there's not much comparison for me to analyse between the previous game. But this game doesn't need the success of it's predecessor. This game can stand on it's own. Wether you're a GOW Veteran or a Carmine Rookie, you'll find entertainment in this game.

For those who have played the game before, you'll recognise some characters from the previous game. You obviously have the storyline surrounding Sergeant Marcus Fenix, although, and not to spoil the story for those who haven't played it yet, Marcus' friend Dom has his own little story in the game. You are also joined by the usuals Cole, Baird and Tai, along with a few people you'll meet along the way. Most of the time, you (Marcus) and Dom will be fighting it together, lancers blasting.

Talking about weaponry, Gears of War 2 features a pretty hot flamethrower, capable of melting the Locust to a nice, crispy pile of ash.

You can now also go chainsaw to chainsaw with the Locust, with new chainsaw duels (of course both characters need lancers). These are won by tapping 'B' faster than your opponent, and they take care of most enemys in 1 cut (very handy for 'Elimination' matches). You of course have the Locust equivalent of the COG lancer, the Hammerburst. The Hammerburst does not have a chainsaw, though it is more accurate and more powerful than the lancer. Although slow firing, it can be fired fast by simply clicking the right trigger faster, although then you lost accuracy. Personally, i prefer the standard lancer, as it makes short work of enemys, and the sound of a revving chainsaw can make people run for miles.

The most fun thing about the chainsaw i feel is the fact that wretches seem to be lured in by them. Here's the situation; you're faced with 10 wretchers clambering towards you. What to do, you're out of ammo for all guns, and you haven't even got a grenade. Well, quite simply- stand there and rev. I play online and see people on Horde mode shooting at these fast, little wretches, wasting ammo. Wait for them to come to you, and as soon as one is near you, you'll be splattering blood automically before you can say "Hello Dolly".

Of course, who needs chainsaws and flamethrowers, when you can still access the Hammer of Dawn (just don't try to use it in a building! Amount of people i've to tell online that it works using a satellite is uncountable).

Down to the Locust. You've got all sorts from the easy to shred with a chainsaw wretches, to a massive brumak or corpser. Not to spoil the game again, but you'll actually end up enjoying brumaks in this game eventually.

One member of the Locust family i've been annoyed by is the bloodmount. These are beasts ridden by a locust master, and before you've had time to say "Hello Dolly" a second time, your heads been ripped off. Little tip, try not to kill the locust master first, as if you kill him, the bloodmount doesn't have anyone controlling it, and goes into a rampage for human flesh.

The one thing that dissapoints me most about the Gears Series is the lack of vehicles. Alhough the vehicles that are in the game are cool, there's just a lack of variation. You've only got 4 land vehicles (APC, Assault Derrick, Centaur Tank andJunker) and 1 air vehicle (King Raven), and they all seem pretty much the same. Obviously the King Raven is excluded here as that is a helicopter, but the 4 land vehicles and all pretty similar, they're all fast and have got big guns. I just wanted to see more from them, perhaps a vehicle just for fast travel instead of running, or maybe underwater travel featured in the game.

In conclusion, when i first got this game, i didn't put it down, i was so engrossed in the storyline, i had to see it all done in one night. There are unlockables in the game, and little mini quests, which features collecting war journal pages etc. Not very fun, but at least EPIC Games had there thinking hats on to include a few mini achievements.

Overall Rating: 9/10
Wed 29/04/09 at 20:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
Just tryed to post again on my runescape one, still ended up on here :S I've deleted all my temporary files, but to no prevail.
Wed 29/04/09 at 18:34
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hi Antichris :),

Have you tried deleting any temporary files/data from your Browser? That could be causing this to happen, don't think its anything to do with the forum as I have left a message on your Runescape review.
Wed 29/04/09 at 18:26
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm having trouble posting on my 'Runescape review'. Every comment i make goes onto this review somehow.
Wed 29/04/09 at 18:25
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks for all the comments :)
Wed 29/04/09 at 18:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
t1mmie wrote:
> You'll be winning every week at this rate :)

Haha thanks, i can only hope so!
Wed 29/04/09 at 18:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Warhunt wrote:
> I believe the GAD was for your FIFA review. Although this one is
> good, and have noticed that you have submitted a couple of
> others. Keep up the work.

Thanks. Although i'm fairly new to reviewing, i enjoy it, and it there's a chance i can win a prize, well that's a bonus. Thanks for the support aswell:)
Wed 29/04/09 at 16:29
Regular
You'll be winning every week at this rate :)
Wed 29/04/09 at 15:44
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I believe the GAD was for your FIFA review. Although this one is good, and have noticed that you have submitted a couple of others. Keep up the work.
Tue 28/04/09 at 23:52
Regular
"How Ironic"
Whoo can't believe my first review won me a game (FIFA). Hope this one does just aswell :D Thanks alot :)
Tue 28/04/09 at 17:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
I never did have the first Gears of War, although i have played it, so there's not much comparison for me to analyse between the previous game. But this game doesn't need the success of it's predecessor. This game can stand on it's own. Wether you're a GOW Veteran or a Carmine Rookie, you'll find entertainment in this game.

For those who have played the game before, you'll recognise some characters from the previous game. You obviously have the storyline surrounding Sergeant Marcus Fenix, although, and not to spoil the story for those who haven't played it yet, Marcus' friend Dom has his own little story in the game. You are also joined by the usuals Cole, Baird and Tai, along with a few people you'll meet along the way. Most of the time, you (Marcus) and Dom will be fighting it together, lancers blasting.

Talking about weaponry, Gears of War 2 features a pretty hot flamethrower, capable of melting the Locust to a nice, crispy pile of ash.

You can now also go chainsaw to chainsaw with the Locust, with new chainsaw duels (of course both characters need lancers). These are won by tapping 'B' faster than your opponent, and they take care of most enemys in 1 cut (very handy for 'Elimination' matches). You of course have the Locust equivalent of the COG lancer, the Hammerburst. The Hammerburst does not have a chainsaw, though it is more accurate and more powerful than the lancer. Although slow firing, it can be fired fast by simply clicking the right trigger faster, although then you lost accuracy. Personally, i prefer the standard lancer, as it makes short work of enemys, and the sound of a revving chainsaw can make people run for miles.

The most fun thing about the chainsaw i feel is the fact that wretches seem to be lured in by them. Here's the situation; you're faced with 10 wretchers clambering towards you. What to do, you're out of ammo for all guns, and you haven't even got a grenade. Well, quite simply- stand there and rev. I play online and see people on Horde mode shooting at these fast, little wretches, wasting ammo. Wait for them to come to you, and as soon as one is near you, you'll be splattering blood automically before you can say "Hello Dolly".

Of course, who needs chainsaws and flamethrowers, when you can still access the Hammer of Dawn (just don't try to use it in a building! Amount of people i've to tell online that it works using a satellite is uncountable).

Down to the Locust. You've got all sorts from the easy to shred with a chainsaw wretches, to a massive brumak or corpser. Not to spoil the game again, but you'll actually end up enjoying brumaks in this game eventually.

One member of the Locust family i've been annoyed by is the bloodmount. These are beasts ridden by a locust master, and before you've had time to say "Hello Dolly" a second time, your heads been ripped off. Little tip, try not to kill the locust master first, as if you kill him, the bloodmount doesn't have anyone controlling it, and goes into a rampage for human flesh.

The one thing that dissapoints me most about the Gears Series is the lack of vehicles. Alhough the vehicles that are in the game are cool, there's just a lack of variation. You've only got 4 land vehicles (APC, Assault Derrick, Centaur Tank andJunker) and 1 air vehicle (King Raven), and they all seem pretty much the same. Obviously the King Raven is excluded here as that is a helicopter, but the 4 land vehicles and all pretty similar, they're all fast and have got big guns. I just wanted to see more from them, perhaps a vehicle just for fast travel instead of running, or maybe underwater travel featured in the game.

In conclusion, when i first got this game, i didn't put it down, i was so engrossed in the storyline, i had to see it all done in one night. There are unlockables in the game, and little mini quests, which features collecting war journal pages etc. Not very fun, but at least EPIC Games had there thinking hats on to include a few mini achievements.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.