GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Directors Commentaries - do they ruin the film?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/02/01 at 14:32
Regular
So do you think the director's commentary on DVDs is a good
thing, or a bad thing? Does it add to the movie, or spoil it?

Well. Yes. And no.

At first pass it can seem a little odd. Like going to the cinema and having some film buff anorak in the seat in front of you talking the whole way through. But you can get a wonderful insight into the film making process. You can find out why the deleted scenss were cut, how involved shooting a particular scene was - the lighting, the choreography the effects.

But then they point out some of the mistakes you'd never noticed. Microphones and lights appearing on screen, assistants hands, uncooperative extras, plot holes created
by editing out scenes late in the day. You should see the film plenty of times first to leave you with the good memories if you're not prepared to deal with seeing all the flaws every time you watch it afterwards.

And there are some useful tips. You might learn that you almost certainly never want to see an in flight movie on an airplane. Plane crashes and any scenes not strictly U certificate will be cut, usually at the epxense of the story.

And some of them are just great to watch. Men In Black and Ghostbusters feature the crew in silhouette pointing out things on screen and circling them with light pens, using the subtitle track to draw black and white graphics over the movie. If nothing else it's a blast to watch, but it does remind me of the anarok in the seat in front of me again. At least, unlike in the cinema I can turn it off.
Wed 14/02/01 at 14:32
So do you think the director's commentary on DVDs is a good
thing, or a bad thing? Does it add to the movie, or spoil it?

Well. Yes. And no.

At first pass it can seem a little odd. Like going to the cinema and having some film buff anorak in the seat in front of you talking the whole way through. But you can get a wonderful insight into the film making process. You can find out why the deleted scenss were cut, how involved shooting a particular scene was - the lighting, the choreography the effects.

But then they point out some of the mistakes you'd never noticed. Microphones and lights appearing on screen, assistants hands, uncooperative extras, plot holes created
by editing out scenes late in the day. You should see the film plenty of times first to leave you with the good memories if you're not prepared to deal with seeing all the flaws every time you watch it afterwards.

And there are some useful tips. You might learn that you almost certainly never want to see an in flight movie on an airplane. Plane crashes and any scenes not strictly U certificate will be cut, usually at the epxense of the story.

And some of them are just great to watch. Men In Black and Ghostbusters feature the crew in silhouette pointing out things on screen and circling them with light pens, using the subtitle track to draw black and white graphics over the movie. If nothing else it's a blast to watch, but it does remind me of the anarok in the seat in front of me again. At least, unlike in the cinema I can turn it off.
Wed 14/02/01 at 16:18
I think commentry on DVD's are a great thing and now expect every DVD to have it. After watching your favorite movie again and again it gives you a new reason to watch it again.
You finaly realise why things were put in and hidden meanings you never noticed. It makes you love the film even more when you realise how clever it is. Recently I watched Final destinaion and Fight club commentry, and I love those films more after watching it because i found out that they were clever on so many levels. Besides if you don't like it, then you have the option of not watching i ofcourse.
Wed 14/02/01 at 16:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think director's commentaries are great, but watch the movie without them first. I find it's better that way.
Fri 16/02/01 at 00:13
I loved watching the commentary of The Matrix - it gives you great insight to the film.
Fri 16/02/01 at 09:44
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Oddly, the only two commentaries I have ever listened to are the same ones as everyone else - Fight Club and Final Destination. Both were great and both revealed new things about the story which I never noticed before.
Sun 04/03/01 at 20:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'd always hoped that, since the addition of the 'extra footage' to moves...

that DVD could allow the viewer to watch either the theatrical release and the extra footage seperatly...

Or to include the extra footage within the movies... ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.