GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do people afford them?!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/07/03 at 18:46
Regular
Websites I mean, to make a decent website you need 100's of MBs of space, a load of band width, those pop3 e-mail addresses and that's not including content! To make it physically look good you need Dream Weaver, Fire Works, Photo Shop, Swish etc. Of course you'll want to add your own little snap shots and signatures every now and again too so you have to buy Graphics Tablets, Digital Cameras, Scanners etc. How do you all afford all this? I tried making a website on Frontpage but withough any kind of graphics packages and I ended up getting free web hosting from Lycos. How do all of you manage to muster together what must be thousands of pounds to buy all this stuff and find the time to use it all?
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:46
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Websites I mean, to make a decent website you need 100's of MBs of space, a load of band width, those pop3 e-mail addresses and that's not including content! To make it physically look good you need Dream Weaver, Fire Works, Photo Shop, Swish etc. Of course you'll want to add your own little snap shots and signatures every now and again too so you have to buy Graphics Tablets, Digital Cameras, Scanners etc. How do you all afford all this? I tried making a website on Frontpage but withough any kind of graphics packages and I ended up getting free web hosting from Lycos. How do all of you manage to muster together what must be thousands of pounds to buy all this stuff and find the time to use it all?
Tue 08/07/03 at 19:03
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Cubist wrote:
> Websites I mean, to make a decent website you need 100's of MBs of
> space, a load of band width, those pop3 e-mail addresses and that's
> not including content!

Not really. Everything you listed there comes with Freeola1000 packages, apart from the webspace...

> To make it physically look good you need
Dream Weaver, - Enhanced Frontpage but you can easily do soemthing as good in notepad if you learn.
Fire Works, - Graphics program.
Photo Shop - Only need one graphics program.
Swish etc. - Flash is better.

> Of course you'll want to
> add your own little snap shots and signatures every now and again too
> so you have to buy Graphics Tablets, Digital Cameras, Scanners etc.

That's all stuff you get with a PC. And graphics tablets aren't needed.

> How do you all afford all this? I tried making a website on Frontpage
> but withough any kind of graphics packages and I ended up getting free
> web hosting from Lycos. How do all of you manage to muster together
> what must be thousands of pounds to buy all this stuff and find the
> time to use it all?

Lots of people have 'bad' copies of software. It's not expensive at all.
Tue 08/07/03 at 19:49
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Cubist wrote:
> Websites I mean, to make a decent website you need 100's of MBs of
> space, a load of band width, those pop3 e-mail addresses and that's
> not including content!

Actually, you only need about 50Mb - 100Mb of space to host a website. They may seem big, but when it comes to memory requirements, they're tiny. Also, you don't need expensive pop3 email addys. It might not look as professional, but a simple Hotmail account will do.

> To make it physically look good you need Dream
> Weaver, Fire Works, Photo Shop, Swish etc. Of course you'll want to
> add your own little snap shots and signatures every now and again too
> so you have to buy Graphics Tablets, Digital Cameras, Scanners etc.

Actually, you don't need all that stuff. All you really need is a cheap animator, if you need one at all, MS Paint for graphics, but a lot of patience if you take that route like me, you don't need Switch but it is a bonus, and you don't need scanners, cameras or graphics tablets.

> How do you all afford all this? I tried making a website on Frontpage
> but withough any kind of graphics packages and I ended up getting free
> web hosting from Lycos. How do all of you manage to muster together
> what must be thousands of pounds to buy all this stuff and find the
> time to use it all?

Simple. It costs £20 if you do it my way. Do everything with what you have rather than buying expensive stuff like that and go with a cheap domain for two year from Freeola, which I haven't done yet! I'm sticking with the free .tk domains at the minute.
Tue 08/07/03 at 21:29
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Even a 50MB website is absolutely huge. Most personal websites weigh in somewhere below 5MB. Much bigger and you have to question whether your site is too bandwidth-intensive.
Tue 08/07/03 at 22:24
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
50mb may be ok for a personal website but if you were making a professional site like nintendo.co.uk you'd need a lot more space. As for just using hotmail addresses there's really no point. If you're going to do something do it right, don't be stindgy heh. If I could afford the programs and found a decent web host. I need a job heh :S :D
Tue 08/07/03 at 22:26
Regular
"You've upset me"
You don't *need* applications like Dreamweaver or FrontPage, you don't *need* Photoshop and you don't *need* Flash or Swish. They're just flashy extras you can sometimes make use of.
Tue 08/07/03 at 22:34
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Hosting (100MB) & Domain (.co.uk x 2yrs) @ £20.00

Have web based email on account, as well as unlimited forwarding to nay address. Any host woth it's money should at least offer e-mail forwarding which eliminates the pain of having a hotmail etc email address on your site!

Software:

Notepad - Free
IMS Web Spinner - Free on this months .NET mag (WYSIWYG)
Gimp - Best free version of Photoshop based app there is

So all in all, if you know where to go and what to do, you could be looking at as little as £20 to set up and run a intermediate website.

Huzzah!
Tue 08/07/03 at 22:37
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tyla wrote:
> Gimp - Best free version of Photoshop based app there is

Ah yes the GIMP. Rob can't say enough good about it, and looking at the art he's done with it it certainly rivals Photoshop.
Tue 08/07/03 at 23:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
:)

I am useless wth Photoshop, but then it is useless for what I expect of it. The thing I hate about Photoshop is, it's not a mathematical precision tool. Sure it's great if you want to work on something in the general sense, but there is virtually no numerical control over it whatsoever. I use GIMP because I can specify what to do with each and every pixel, which is how I work.
Tue 08/07/03 at 23:19
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
How do you afford them?

Oh...I dunno...maybe a £50 a month allowance...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.