GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do people afford them?!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/07/03 at 18:46
Regular
Websites I mean, to make a decent website you need 100's of MBs of space, a load of band width, those pop3 e-mail addresses and that's not including content! To make it physically look good you need Dream Weaver, Fire Works, Photo Shop, Swish etc. Of course you'll want to add your own little snap shots and signatures every now and again too so you have to buy Graphics Tablets, Digital Cameras, Scanners etc. How do you all afford all this? I tried making a website on Frontpage but withough any kind of graphics packages and I ended up getting free web hosting from Lycos. How do all of you manage to muster together what must be thousands of pounds to buy all this stuff and find the time to use it all?
Fri 11/07/03 at 20:17
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
I guess if you know the right people it will cost you nothing to get a decent website going. I know that some people pay a fortune to get one going and others have it free. Mainly though just paying for the domain name.
Fri 11/07/03 at 00:14
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
DW wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> IMS Web Spinner - Free on this months .NET mag (WYSIWYG)
>
> Wasn't on my copy of .NET...
>
> When did it last come out, as I tend to get it two weeks early...

I subscribe and get my copy before anyone else (which is only a week before general sale, so how do you get yours 2 weeks early?)... mine arrived on the Monday 7th complete with cover CD.
Thu 10/07/03 at 20:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It means, by all means use it, but don't pass it off as your own work.
Thu 10/07/03 at 16:24
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
It means don't steal
Thu 10/07/03 at 15:41
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
Turbonutter wrote:
> http://www.sine-wave.net/

nice site turbo..just one question..on the lightwave pictures you say enjoy but please dont rip..does this mean steal? if not what does it mean?
Thu 10/07/03 at 10:55
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
I made my site for absolutely nothing!
Uploading it only cost me around £20
And my site is over 150Mb
Wed 09/07/03 at 07:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The thing is, you can make a website with virtually nothing.

http://www.sine-wave.net/

Absolutely everything on that website created with free tools, with the possible exception of the Lightwave stuff.
Wed 09/07/03 at 07:14
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> IMS Web Spinner - Free on this months .NET mag (WYSIWYG)

Wasn't on my copy of .NET...

When did it last come out, as I tend to get it two weeks early...
Wed 09/07/03 at 00:31
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Cubist wrote:
> 50mb may be ok for a personal website but if you were making a
> professional site like nintendo.co.uk you'd need a lot more space.

Not really. Webpages are mostly text, and text takes up absolutely sfa disk space. Anything that isn't text is usually compressed pictures which again, don't take up a lot of space. A site like Nintendo might be hosting large media files (say game-preview movies) which makes it the exception to the norm - not many sites, even large ones, need to host a lot of large media or executable files.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if the whole of the Special Reserve site was less than 50MB in size. 50MB of text and pictures is a big headache of a site to manage. Maybe a staffie can tell us :o
Tue 08/07/03 at 23:19
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
How do you afford them?

Oh...I dunno...maybe a £50 a month allowance...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.