GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A blurring of the edges"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/01 at 11:19
Regular
Remember the old days?

Remember the rebirth of the console with the NES?

Back then things were different.

A game could be catergorised so easily.

A platformer was a platformer. You had to jump onto platforms and hit things.

A beat'em-up was just that, sometimes one-on-one, sometimes scrolling, with multiple enemies.

Shoot 'em-ups? Fly your space ship, and shoot things.

In recent years there has been a significant blurring of the edges that defined these genres.

Much like the way in which modern music rarely fits into just one catergory these days, games have moved along the same way.

As gaming develops surely these genres will be less and less obvious, with elements of many types of games combining. These is already obvious in the way that the simple platformer of old is no more, but has become a 3D adventure. More like a basic console RPG than a platformer!

First person shooters are becoming more complex too. Deus Ex had so much more to it than just following corridors mowing down streams of enemies.

So in the future, as games get bigger, surely other game styles will come into play. I'd like to see an RPG/ adventure game set in modern times, in which you can hop in your car and drive to your location, but I want the driving to be physically sound. I want to be able to attack certain people if I wish with the same variety of moves that you'd get in a beat 'em up - Shenmue apparently achieved this to some extent.

So what game elements would you like to throw together?
Tue 13/02/01 at 14:12
"possibly impossible"
like, children's platform game could be called NintendoMadeThis (only kidding, put that gun down, no, down, now, please?)
Tue 13/02/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Barbie Race and Ride with Resident Evil. :-)

But as these genres overlap, new genres are created in between. There used to be shooters, (Time Crisis) there used to be RPG's (Suikoden), then you got them overlapping to get RPG/Shooters like Command & Conquer, Resident Evil, Perfect Dark, Fear Effect, all of which in turn overlap into other genres to create entirely new ones.

The only problem so far is that no one has yet come up with a name to define these new genres, so they easily fall into either category.

RPG Shooters should be called RP Shooters, or RPS.
Tue 13/02/01 at 11:56
"Darkness, always"
Take Homeworld and mash it up with X-Wing Alliance.

Now your talking....
Tue 13/02/01 at 11:19
Regular
"not dead"
Remember the old days?

Remember the rebirth of the console with the NES?

Back then things were different.

A game could be catergorised so easily.

A platformer was a platformer. You had to jump onto platforms and hit things.

A beat'em-up was just that, sometimes one-on-one, sometimes scrolling, with multiple enemies.

Shoot 'em-ups? Fly your space ship, and shoot things.

In recent years there has been a significant blurring of the edges that defined these genres.

Much like the way in which modern music rarely fits into just one catergory these days, games have moved along the same way.

As gaming develops surely these genres will be less and less obvious, with elements of many types of games combining. These is already obvious in the way that the simple platformer of old is no more, but has become a 3D adventure. More like a basic console RPG than a platformer!

First person shooters are becoming more complex too. Deus Ex had so much more to it than just following corridors mowing down streams of enemies.

So in the future, as games get bigger, surely other game styles will come into play. I'd like to see an RPG/ adventure game set in modern times, in which you can hop in your car and drive to your location, but I want the driving to be physically sound. I want to be able to attack certain people if I wish with the same variety of moves that you'd get in a beat 'em up - Shenmue apparently achieved this to some extent.

So what game elements would you like to throw together?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.