GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where you from, you sexy thing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/02/01 at 14:19
Regular
Most people will tell you its whats on the inside that counts...

This being especially true when talking about consoles...

However.... some consoles have in their time REALLY looked quite dodgy... (the original NES?)...

Others have looked like the manufacterer has at least made some effort to make the machine look like its supposed to be seen by human eyes...

But which are the bets and worst looking consoles in hostory?

Which did you gaze at lovingly as it rested next to your TV, and which did you prefer to have covered with a paper bag?
Mon 12/02/01 at 19:08
I know exaclty what you mean. I think the N64 wins the best dressed microchip of the year award hands down! It looks smooth sleek and at the same time fun. Things like the playstation and dreamcast look like they were designed with a ruler and protractor. I mean come you would have thought that sega would have employed some designers who knew what a curve was. But one of the things that makes the big N so good is the free sticker covers you get in N64 mags they are so cool. In a few minutes you can change a plain old ninty into a kick a$$ perfect dark shrine or a pokemon paradise! It only takes a few mintues and transforms your N64! You dont even have to have a proper sticker cover all you need is an N64 mag a whole load of sticky back plastic and of course the one you made earlier. The versatility of the actually N64 shows how fun it really is!
Mon 12/02/01 at 18:47
Regular
The Megadrive WON the console war. No doubt about it.

The SNES had a very good start, but overall the Megadrive won.
Mon 12/02/01 at 15:21
"Darkness, always"
If SEGA can't handle the competition, then it's just as well they are moving out of the market. There's nothing dirty about exclusivity contracts, as they are perfectly legal. If SEGA had any nonce, they would have given the developers a better offer. As it is, they probably thought "Pah, we don't need good games, our console will sell perfectly well as a Macdonalds medium fries holder"

Which, let's face it, is all the Master System was good for.

(Apologies, life long Nintendo fan who will be buying GameCube on principal that Nintendo have made it, and they have never failed to deliver quality consoles in the past)

-IB
Mon 12/02/01 at 15:13
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think that the Megadrive was rushed out.

It may not have been released quite as soon though, had it not have been for Nintendo of Americas dirty tricks in the 8 bit console market.

The Sega Master System was vastly superior to the NES, so Nintendo asked all of the developers to sign exclusivity contracts. So in the US the SMS had few games other than those produced by Sega. So Sega launched a console which completely blew the competition out of the water in the Megadrive.

Admittedly once the SNES was released Nintendo regained the upper hand.
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:58
"Darkness, always"
They were both about as powerful as each other, yet the SNES was well known to be the better of the two, and ruled the 16bit market.

The difference made here was the quick rushing out of new technology, and the intelligent waiting and developing of it to create a better product.

Same as the difference between wanting to make as much money as possible and offering your customers a quality product. SEGA have always had problems with the latter tactic, and hence they are now rethinking their market startegy.

-IB
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:54
Regular
"not dead"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> The Megadrive is disqualified for the fact that it was lame, and
> never really matched the SNES, except for the Mortal Kombat gore,
> which was crap and pointless anyway.

No way! The Megadrive was out years before the SNES!

Maybe that's because I bought mine on import though, so I never saw it as a competitor for the SNES.

The SNES just seemed like a natural progression to make from a Megadrive.
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:45
"Darkness, always"
The Megadrive is disqualified for the fact that it was lame, and never really matched the SNES, except for the Mortal Kombat gore, which was crap and pointless anyway.

-IB
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Which 2600... the original or the black wedge with the meatal stripe across the missle? ...

Goota be better than the fake wood Atari 5200 :)
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:23
Regular
"not dead"
The Megadrive was a real good looker.

The US SNES looked worse than the NES. That was terrible.

Though the old Atari consoles weren't anything special to look at.
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:22
"Darkness, always"
Well, though groundbreaking as it was, the Atari 2600 was ugly as hell looking back.

And I personally think that the revised looking PS1 is really eyepleasing.

But that's just me...

-IB

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.