GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The end of mod makers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/02/01 at 21:05
Regular
And yes, we've seen more then enough people capable of making games themselves, take a look at counter strike, now how could some average guy create such a great game like that?
It's amazing how much they know about making games, and they bring out top quality mods on all sorts of games.
But with PC's going out of fashion, and less games coming out then usual, because of console commitments from the developers where else could they turn?
On a console there's no way of modifying the game in any way, though a few extra snippets made by the developers such
as the level editors it doesn't show as much hard work as the mod makers.
The mod makers are a credit to the gaming industry, you might think they are some new gaming pirates but they are not.
They made sure they could make a new game out of your old games, once you complete the original game, you will have to look elsewhere, in this case mods make a fresh new game for you to play all together. The usually look much better than the original game aswell using a different style of weapons, levels and extras.
Some developers make a game just for mod making purposes sometimes, when the Deus Ex multiplayer was released one special message went out to all of the Mod-makers and that was to 'Make mods out of these and we'll see what you can do'.

I would like to thank them for bringing some great ideas to the games, unreal fortress different style of levels, Counter strike's more realistic feel.
These people are the future of game making, with these people we could have such good ideas coming from people and more original games coming out!
All praise to them all.
Mon 12/02/01 at 17:26
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Here we go again... :)
Mon 12/02/01 at 17:04
Regular
Of course i'd rather play certain games on my console.
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:18
"Darkness, always"
I'm sorry, but 'with PCs going out of fashion'?

A higher proportion of the population have PCs now than ever have, that hardly reflects what you are saying there.

Considering the fact that PCs are often now preferred to many consoles, I think you may have this the wrong way round. In a couple of years your console will be mostly PC anyway, so if anything they are coming more into fashion than they have ever been.

I know that really isn't the argument here, I just thought I would correct that point.

-IB
Mon 12/02/01 at 14:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I dont think PC games are dying out quite yet :) ...

Besides, arnt there a few titles comming out on the PS2 & Dreamcast that are going to include MOD options...

With additional HardDrives, Mice, Keyboards and Net access consoles owners (or should that be computer oweners?) will have all the kit required for Mod making...

---

With all there MOD creators on the forum.... mabe SR could have a place were peeps could show off their works? ;)
Sun 11/02/01 at 23:07
i'm a mod maker
Sun 11/02/01 at 23:01
Regular
Any one a mod maker?
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:07
thank you starcraft campeighn editor.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:05
Regular
And yes, we've seen more then enough people capable of making games themselves, take a look at counter strike, now how could some average guy create such a great game like that?
It's amazing how much they know about making games, and they bring out top quality mods on all sorts of games.
But with PC's going out of fashion, and less games coming out then usual, because of console commitments from the developers where else could they turn?
On a console there's no way of modifying the game in any way, though a few extra snippets made by the developers such
as the level editors it doesn't show as much hard work as the mod makers.
The mod makers are a credit to the gaming industry, you might think they are some new gaming pirates but they are not.
They made sure they could make a new game out of your old games, once you complete the original game, you will have to look elsewhere, in this case mods make a fresh new game for you to play all together. The usually look much better than the original game aswell using a different style of weapons, levels and extras.
Some developers make a game just for mod making purposes sometimes, when the Deus Ex multiplayer was released one special message went out to all of the Mod-makers and that was to 'Make mods out of these and we'll see what you can do'.

I would like to thank them for bringing some great ideas to the games, unreal fortress different style of levels, Counter strike's more realistic feel.
These people are the future of game making, with these people we could have such good ideas coming from people and more original games coming out!
All praise to them all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.