GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Films To See"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/04/09 at 10:02
Regular
..Not necessarily before you die, just thought I'd try and compile a list of some of the best films I've seen. Obviously feel free to add some of your own and your own critical comments
May contain spoilers

-

City of God
7/10

Hard-hitting exploration of morality, the cycle of crime and poverty, set in the favelas of Rio. The brutal, raw, nature of the crime in contrast to the beauty of Brazil and the function of a loop of morality, with those who rose in rank through the criminal underworld getting their comeuppance makes the film a very complete experience

The Deer Hunter
8/10

A three and a half hour study of the human mind and spirit. Separated into three parts - before, during and after the Vietnam war. The war scenes aren't really the focus of this film, except for the infamous Russian Roulette scene in the Mekong Delta. It's more about the psychological effect of the war and all war, how it pushes men to do things which causes deep psychological repercussions

Donnie Darko
8/10

A troubled teenager who has chilling visions of a large rabbit called Frank sets the stage for a film depicting the passage of time, an incredibly well interlinked story and a very watchable quest for an anti-hero to save the world

Forrest Gump
8/10

In my mind, the plot it one of the most interesting in any film of this genre, while the comedy and emotional depth remains consistent through the whole film. Essentially a man's progression through life, dealing with disabilities, yet featuring in some of the most important events of the latter 20th Century and ending up receiving opportunities that most people of the time would have dreamed of

Gladiator
8/10

These days it's a fairly standard film to have seen yet it still retains its visual effect - the battle scenes are some of the best in any film along the same lines, except perhaps Lord of the Rings, while the story stays consistent and gripping enough to make you want to watch the film to its conclusion each time you watch it

The Godfather
8/10

Again a film exploring the psychological effect of certain human pursuits - focusing on the search for power, greed and corruption within a Mafia family. One of the benchmark crime films with a gripping, sometimes chilling, story line and Brando at his best

Pan's Labyrinth
9/10

A little girl living in a town with Spanish Nazis during the Second World War. This becomes an amazing second world of the underground - fawns, fairies and the like when she discovers this world through a fawn. Incredibly well-filmed scenes depict the adrenaline rush which is her progression through the tasks of the fawn. The twists in the plot often leave you questioning whether everything was true or a figment of the imagination.

Saving Private Ryan
8/10

Rather than a psychological study of the effect of war on man, it's more a study of how people people's lives change during a war, camaraderie and one unit's selfless quest to find the 4th brother of a family of brothers decimated in the D-Day landings. The view of the Second World War and the fighting itself make this an infinitely watchable film

Scarface
7/10

The Al Pacino film. He may have hammed the role up in comparison to the 30s version but he plays it very well all the same. The rise to power and obsessive greed and jealousy of one man, which eventually destroys him. An anti-hero in all respects, striving to fulfill the epithet "the world is yours"

Zeitgeist
7/10

Although the production looks like it was put together on someone's Photoshop, it is one of the most intriguing conspiracy films I've seen - exploring the relation of all religions through time and their relation to Astrology as well as what is considered to be the "9/11 myth". Whether or not you choose to believe this is irrelevant, if you approach it with an open mind, it offers a very interesting point of few to the issues in question

-

I'll probably add more to this later
Mon 13/04/09 at 09:11
Regular
"I like turtles"
REVOLUTIONblud wrote:
> i got some for ya
>
> Marley and me
>
> 9/10
>
>
> About a dog what got bought when t was a little puppy for the
> guys wife
> and at the end the dog gets sick and has to be puts to sleep
> very sad film

Nice spoiler dude :)
Sat 11/04/09 at 17:18
Regular
"Ya Danoo About Me"
i got some for ya

Marley and me

9/10

About a dog what got bought when t was a little puppy for the guys wife
and at the end the dog gets sick and has to be puts to sleep very sad film
Sat 11/04/09 at 10:02
Regular
..Not necessarily before you die, just thought I'd try and compile a list of some of the best films I've seen. Obviously feel free to add some of your own and your own critical comments
May contain spoilers

-

City of God
7/10

Hard-hitting exploration of morality, the cycle of crime and poverty, set in the favelas of Rio. The brutal, raw, nature of the crime in contrast to the beauty of Brazil and the function of a loop of morality, with those who rose in rank through the criminal underworld getting their comeuppance makes the film a very complete experience

The Deer Hunter
8/10

A three and a half hour study of the human mind and spirit. Separated into three parts - before, during and after the Vietnam war. The war scenes aren't really the focus of this film, except for the infamous Russian Roulette scene in the Mekong Delta. It's more about the psychological effect of the war and all war, how it pushes men to do things which causes deep psychological repercussions

Donnie Darko
8/10

A troubled teenager who has chilling visions of a large rabbit called Frank sets the stage for a film depicting the passage of time, an incredibly well interlinked story and a very watchable quest for an anti-hero to save the world

Forrest Gump
8/10

In my mind, the plot it one of the most interesting in any film of this genre, while the comedy and emotional depth remains consistent through the whole film. Essentially a man's progression through life, dealing with disabilities, yet featuring in some of the most important events of the latter 20th Century and ending up receiving opportunities that most people of the time would have dreamed of

Gladiator
8/10

These days it's a fairly standard film to have seen yet it still retains its visual effect - the battle scenes are some of the best in any film along the same lines, except perhaps Lord of the Rings, while the story stays consistent and gripping enough to make you want to watch the film to its conclusion each time you watch it

The Godfather
8/10

Again a film exploring the psychological effect of certain human pursuits - focusing on the search for power, greed and corruption within a Mafia family. One of the benchmark crime films with a gripping, sometimes chilling, story line and Brando at his best

Pan's Labyrinth
9/10

A little girl living in a town with Spanish Nazis during the Second World War. This becomes an amazing second world of the underground - fawns, fairies and the like when she discovers this world through a fawn. Incredibly well-filmed scenes depict the adrenaline rush which is her progression through the tasks of the fawn. The twists in the plot often leave you questioning whether everything was true or a figment of the imagination.

Saving Private Ryan
8/10

Rather than a psychological study of the effect of war on man, it's more a study of how people people's lives change during a war, camaraderie and one unit's selfless quest to find the 4th brother of a family of brothers decimated in the D-Day landings. The view of the Second World War and the fighting itself make this an infinitely watchable film

Scarface
7/10

The Al Pacino film. He may have hammed the role up in comparison to the 30s version but he plays it very well all the same. The rise to power and obsessive greed and jealousy of one man, which eventually destroys him. An anti-hero in all respects, striving to fulfill the epithet "the world is yours"

Zeitgeist
7/10

Although the production looks like it was put together on someone's Photoshop, it is one of the most intriguing conspiracy films I've seen - exploring the relation of all religions through time and their relation to Astrology as well as what is considered to be the "9/11 myth". Whether or not you choose to believe this is irrelevant, if you approach it with an open mind, it offers a very interesting point of few to the issues in question

-

I'll probably add more to this later

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.