GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which is better? Reality, or unreality?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/02/01 at 17:47
Regular
Lets have a little explanation first.
Unreality = Game which is set in a fantasy time, future, present, past.
Reality = Game that is based on something that has happened in the history of the world, or is based on present day, or something that *could* happen.
When it comes down to setting the era for a game, you can always expect where it would be, depending on the developers.

-Blizzard always set their games in fantasy, past, (Diablo, Warcraft) or future (Starcraft).
-Westwood, although have some good ideas for their RTS's, they basically stay in the *real* world.

Games based on famous Wars are popular because they actually happened... but would they be as popular if they were set in another galaxy, far far away? It seems they would.

Which makes gaming more enjoyable for you, though? Do you like playing games in a fantasyland more than you enjoy playing games based on the world today?

Would you rather play Sim City 3000, over Heroes of Might and Magic 3?

Or is it some obscure unknown land that makes you more interested in a game than anything else?

One game that seems to slip easily in and out of each of these catagories is Deus Ex. Although Deus Ex is quite fantasy and unreal at times, at other times it seems very close to home.
Duke Nukem 3D was based in locations in the world, but had you shooting aliens.

Also, Genres set examples of reality and unreality. There are, as far as I know, NO RPG's set in reality. I think it would be very cool to have an rpg based in London, where you have to repair guns, buy new cars and so on... Gangster may achieve this, and I am awaiting the day a confirmed date is announced.

Shenmue could be described as a real RPG, but if I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a FREE game, and didn't really have the elements of a RPG game.

On the other side of the coin, there are management games. MOST management games are based in the real world. A few are set in fantasy, the best remembered one being Afterlife by Lucasarts, where you had to manage Heaven and Hell and had to make sure that all the Nazis and... err... more Nazis had enough burnt sausages in Hell, and all the avid Christians had enough chocolate sauce on their ice cream in Heaven.

Civilisation could be described as fantasy to some extent, because of the fact that it continued into the future, and had more inventions that we have not yet discovered ourselves. The same was for Sim City. But catagorically they are filed under reality.

So, I ask you. What is your favourite?
Fri 10/04/09 at 16:39
Regular
Damn you!!! :D Second! :p
Thu 09/04/09 at 20:49
Regular
w00t first to post :D
Sun 22/04/01 at 13:58
Whatever... (:)
Sun 22/04/01 at 13:55
I think it would be really good if there was a game that was based in reality but where all the normal rules had changed. The idea of having a model of the entire earth is very appealing, but a bit difficult for the developers.. If i could travel through England and find my home town, and actually walk, run, or fly through the streets i live in, then it would be a really class game.

However, to not make it less boring (more interesting) than real life, some things would need to be changed.. you would have to start with a huge amount of money, or be able to travel, or maybe the entire population was wiped out except you, and you go searching for survivers in your home town, then move out and explore the earth, and discover that the cause of everyone's demise was actually some evil space aliens, and have to go up to their ship... then it really would be a mixture of the two, maybe completely corny though.. I dunno, might be fun.. if it could be made into a really addictive multiplayer and you had one central server, with thousands of players all over the world being "survivers" in different places on the earth, interacting logically rather than blowing eachother up (aka q3a) then it could be worth playing.

I don't suppose there are any developers out there who could comment on this? Perhaps much of the AI technology in B+W could be used.

And of course, there has to be a linux version ;)
Sat 21/04/01 at 23:35
Both, if it works its good.
Sat 21/04/01 at 22:02
Regular
Unreality is better as if it is addictive enougth you are pulled in so it feels real at the time of playing it and there is so much more possibilities than reality.
Sat 21/04/01 at 21:52
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Reality is better as when its real you feel more of a part of the game. YOu jump more when something jumps around the corner... there's something about reality games.
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:59
I like both as long as the damn game is playable!!!!!!!!!
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:57
i like final fantasy and mgs the most and platforms are sometimes good
Sat 21/04/01 at 14:42
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I prefer fantasy but grounded in reality. So like in Civilisation, you start with reality, but that soon gets boring so you move into the future and have some more fun stuff to play with, which makes it more interesting.

Most games have to be based in reality to some extent, i.e. the physics of the game worlds are usually the same as ours, so you drop something and it falls. There are very few games that try to change the physical laws of the gaming environment, perhaps that should be looked into. Even with games like Sonic the Hedgehog, which is total fantasy, if you jump up, you come down again.

So that kind of familiarity I can deal with, but I'd be interested to see more alternatives.

Variety is the key though, a nice mix of pure reality, a few games of pure fantasy, and a bit of Tomb Raider in the middle makes a good collection of games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.