GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pentium 4 Vs AMD Athlon"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/02/01 at 16:45
Regular
ok, the Athlon has some strong points and some weak ones. So does the p4

But which one is actually better?

Having looked at benchmarks on various sites the p4 mostly ranks under an Athlon in perfomance.

so what do you think?
Sun 11/02/01 at 16:45
ok, the Athlon has some strong points and some weak ones. So does the p4

But which one is actually better?

Having looked at benchmarks on various sites the p4 mostly ranks under an Athlon in perfomance.

so what do you think?
Tue 13/02/01 at 19:12
Hi, Im getting a 1.2Ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird with the 3D Prophet 2 GTS Pro, etc, I chose it because after the problems that Intel have been having with their chip and I have seen a lot of independent sites telling me that Intel is down and out and that AMD is the new King of the processor Chip wars. Good luck with chosing one.
Sat 10/03/01 at 07:28
No Contest

Even AMD K6-2 Has powerful and Trusted Virtual Memory

Being a rapidly expanding company they know what they're talking about like me.

Their Mermory doesn't cause any fatal Exceptions (registry problems) on startup and they're half the price of cheaply built processors

PS. Anyone know what AMD K7-DURON is?
Sat 10/03/01 at 07:35
Good Choice Big Foot 17

I'm not a AMD Worker but my over curiousity as a 15 year old tells me that AMD is more reliable.

My testing shows that the registry related to Processors on my dads Pentium 3 and my AMD K6-2 show mine to be more reliable and also better built because my dads once broke.
Sat 10/03/01 at 15:44
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Duron is AMD's budget range of processors, still pretty sweet - several of my mates have got them, and they're all happy.
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:52
Thanks, But are AMD K7 DURON's and Thunderbirds not as long lasting as Athlon's then and which is the cheapest?
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:55
Regular
The Athlon is AMD's answer to the P3, the Thunderbird is their answer to the P4.

Ive got an old AMD k6-2 400 in my machine and i can still run all the latest games, im looking to upgrade in a bit though, so when you decide can you let me know mate?
Cheers.
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:29
Ok you guys seem to know what your talking about, I have a very old PC, a Pentium 133Mhz chip from intel in a Socket 7 socket....what processors can I upgrade to, I think I can upgrade to a intel 200Mhz chip but Ive never changed a processor before.

..what chip would you get for a Socket 7 motherboard???
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:39
Regular
To be honest mate i dont know that much about it, depending on much money you've got id recommend that you buy a new mother board and processor, but the you'll have to get a new graphics and RAM as well.

Your best bet would be to find out the make and model of your mother board and email, or look at the website to see what processor you can get.

Changing a processor isnt too difficult, again if you dont know what you are doing take it into an SR shop or some such place and get them to do if for you.

hope that helps.
Mon 12/03/01 at 22:07
Thanks will do, Im a bit strapped for the cash so Im just wondering If I could by a cheap chip somewhere.
200Mhz would be dreamy from where I'm sitting!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.