GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil 5 "Versus" Add-On"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 5'.
Thu 09/04/09 at 00:40
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Resident Evil 5 kicked off the year in high gear with its adrenaline-fuelled adventurer in Africa earlier in March and I have to admit I’m still trying to improve upon my Mercenaries scores every chance I get. But here we are now in April where it has barely been out a month and already we’re being given downloadable content in the form of a few competitive multiplayer modes for both the 360 and PS3.

While you’ll find Grand Theft Auto IV, Fallout 3 and more on the Xbox 360 offering pretty bulky downloadable content at 800 points and upwards the “Versus” package here is a surprisingly small amount of 400 points. For a whole extra online mode it’s definitely worth a look.

Of the two modes on offer here, first up is Slayers which in my opinion is the better of the two options. Here basically the same rules as mercenaries apply with a few minor tweaks to suit the competitive nature of the mode. Killing enemies gets you points while combos, time bonuses and ammo and health pick-ups apply here too but what mixes things up are the other human players roaming the map who are a threat themselves too! While the major points are to be found with killing Majini, attacking the other three human opponents can add to your total too. In the end the player with the most points is declared the winner.

Next up is the Survivors mode which while similar to Slayers, reverses the priority kills and makes you focus on the human players rather than the Majini. Here you are rewarded for every successful shot on an opponent and penalised for getting hit yourself by others. What is unique here is the scoring system since rather than gaining points simply for kills like most other shooters opt for, you also grab them for landing shots onto your opponents. Handgun bullets are worth a certain amount of points while shotgun blasts and explosions more. There is simply no point in wasting time shooting down anyone other than your opponents as points cannot be earned for blowing a Majini’s head off.

While you can play either of these modes against three other people, there’s also the choice to play two versus two which can result in some serious rethinking when it comes to a strategy and working as a team.

The biggest concern when I downloaded this, was how well the run, stand still and shoot mechanic Resident Evil is so famous for, would translate over to a multiplayer gun-fest. The answer is not too bad for the Slayers mode but not as good for the Survivors option. The problem is it can seem so archaic not being able to run and shoot at the same time and it’s simply a system that isn’t suited to multiplayer. I found myself simply standing facing someone who was doing the same thing to me and firing into them hoping they would be first to drop. This is why I don’t feel Survivor works as well since the focus is on hunting down your opponents. The awkward controls are made even more flawed since the opponents you’re fighting aren’t simply fairly idiotic computer controlled bots, but rather fully thinking human players who have the same artillery as you. Slayers on the other hand is quite a good laugh simply because you’re following mercenaries rules with more people and not simply focusing on killing your opponents.

As far as new modes and characters go you won’t find any here. Every one of the eight maps you’ve unlocked in mercenaries can be played here but you need to unlock all the characters again regardless of whether you have them already. For some this may seem annoying, but really I think it’s a good idea as the later, more powerful characters are saved and rewarded the more you play (Wesker basically)

Ten extra achievements have also been added to the pre-existing fifty from the game which is a nice surprise. They mainly focus on getting so many wins, scores or combos in each mode which should keep you busy and give incentive to play through again and again.

This is the first add-on expansion I’ve bought for any of my games on the 360 and at 400 points it was definitely worth it. After one day of playing Slayers I can’t wait to try and nap those other achievements tomorrow. While the controls may not totally suit that of a multiplayer shooter it’s still a neat addition to an already great game.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 09/04/09 at 00:40
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Resident Evil 5 kicked off the year in high gear with its adrenaline-fuelled adventurer in Africa earlier in March and I have to admit I’m still trying to improve upon my Mercenaries scores every chance I get. But here we are now in April where it has barely been out a month and already we’re being given downloadable content in the form of a few competitive multiplayer modes for both the 360 and PS3.

While you’ll find Grand Theft Auto IV, Fallout 3 and more on the Xbox 360 offering pretty bulky downloadable content at 800 points and upwards the “Versus” package here is a surprisingly small amount of 400 points. For a whole extra online mode it’s definitely worth a look.

Of the two modes on offer here, first up is Slayers which in my opinion is the better of the two options. Here basically the same rules as mercenaries apply with a few minor tweaks to suit the competitive nature of the mode. Killing enemies gets you points while combos, time bonuses and ammo and health pick-ups apply here too but what mixes things up are the other human players roaming the map who are a threat themselves too! While the major points are to be found with killing Majini, attacking the other three human opponents can add to your total too. In the end the player with the most points is declared the winner.

Next up is the Survivors mode which while similar to Slayers, reverses the priority kills and makes you focus on the human players rather than the Majini. Here you are rewarded for every successful shot on an opponent and penalised for getting hit yourself by others. What is unique here is the scoring system since rather than gaining points simply for kills like most other shooters opt for, you also grab them for landing shots onto your opponents. Handgun bullets are worth a certain amount of points while shotgun blasts and explosions more. There is simply no point in wasting time shooting down anyone other than your opponents as points cannot be earned for blowing a Majini’s head off.

While you can play either of these modes against three other people, there’s also the choice to play two versus two which can result in some serious rethinking when it comes to a strategy and working as a team.

The biggest concern when I downloaded this, was how well the run, stand still and shoot mechanic Resident Evil is so famous for, would translate over to a multiplayer gun-fest. The answer is not too bad for the Slayers mode but not as good for the Survivors option. The problem is it can seem so archaic not being able to run and shoot at the same time and it’s simply a system that isn’t suited to multiplayer. I found myself simply standing facing someone who was doing the same thing to me and firing into them hoping they would be first to drop. This is why I don’t feel Survivor works as well since the focus is on hunting down your opponents. The awkward controls are made even more flawed since the opponents you’re fighting aren’t simply fairly idiotic computer controlled bots, but rather fully thinking human players who have the same artillery as you. Slayers on the other hand is quite a good laugh simply because you’re following mercenaries rules with more people and not simply focusing on killing your opponents.

As far as new modes and characters go you won’t find any here. Every one of the eight maps you’ve unlocked in mercenaries can be played here but you need to unlock all the characters again regardless of whether you have them already. For some this may seem annoying, but really I think it’s a good idea as the later, more powerful characters are saved and rewarded the more you play (Wesker basically)

Ten extra achievements have also been added to the pre-existing fifty from the game which is a nice surprise. They mainly focus on getting so many wins, scores or combos in each mode which should keep you busy and give incentive to play through again and again.

This is the first add-on expansion I’ve bought for any of my games on the 360 and at 400 points it was definitely worth it. After one day of playing Slayers I can’t wait to try and nap those other achievements tomorrow. While the controls may not totally suit that of a multiplayer shooter it’s still a neat addition to an already great game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.