GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What number makes a band?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/06/03 at 14:20
Regular
How many members should a band have? Obviously it depends on the type of band and what instruments are used, but do some groups over-do it in the personnel department? The Beatles, without a doubt one of the best pop song-writing partnerships of recent years had 4 members, but they could all play various instruments, so in terms of studio recording they could probably have done it individually. Oasis have 5 members - an extra guitarist to play chords/fight in the pub circuit they play. Ash had 3 members, then added another guitarist to fill out the sound, but the quality of their songwriting went downhill after that. So Solid Crew have about 30, but 27 of them appear to be bodyguards (hence the guns), whilst one or two play decks and another one talks fast in a mock Croydo-Jamaican accent.
Fri 27/06/03 at 10:49
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Yeah by the same principle: Sclub7. We all know thus band has/had exactly 7 members too many.
Thu 26/06/03 at 19:08
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Good Charlotte have 4 too many members.
If there are 5 of them, that's 5 too many.
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:40
Regular
"we escape....."
MONEY!!!!
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:40
Regular
"we escape....."
how ever many good charlotte have
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:23
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Does it really matter how many band members there are? As long as they can all fit on stage it makes no difference to the music they make.
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:11
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Our whole creating a band process with me and a few mates is going on far too long - primarily because there's only 1 drummer in the area, and he already plays in 3 different bands. And he's a gimp.

Sorted for other people, ended up with 5 because we've got a keys player too - Thunder obsessed friend wanting to be able to get a similar sort of sound. Line up is now Guitar, Guitar/Vocals, Bass, Drums, Keys; minus the drums, for now. G'won Grix, you know you wants the drums and helicopter, unless you fancy getting to Saffron Walden by train witht hem strapped to various bits of your body =)

Was bloody awkward trying to arrange doing things while people are in exams and working, but we should have a run of a few weeks coming up to get together in, build something around the lyrics we've got. So yeah, my vote goes for 5 really. Works for my top 3 bands, but I like 2 guitars with either a separate vocalist, or a keys player.
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:09
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Although it sounds gay saying it

I'd probably say a Coldplay template

Drummer
Bass Player
Lead Guitarist
Frontman who occasionally plays geetar and piano
Thu 26/06/03 at 16:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The White Stripes need to get a drummer instead of utilising that care in the community moonfaced tard.
Thu 26/06/03 at 16:26
"Darth Vader 3442321"
You need 8 people to create a successful band: Drummer, guitar, vocals, bass, drummer, guitar, vocals and bass.

Though if you are prudent you may be able to find a way to reduce the numbers by asking some of the members to double up. Thus:

Drummer/Guitar, Bass/Vocals, Vocals/Bass, Guitar/Drummer.

In fact you could then look for any duplication:

Drummer/Guitar and Vocals/Bass.

And replace them with:

Bagpipes and Keyboard.

So the ideal band is:

Bass/Vocals
Guitar/Drummer
Bagpipes
Keyboard
Scratchmaster
Thu 26/06/03 at 16:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think 3/4, but to be honest, if it sounds good I don't really care.

But normally 3 or 4 members is the right number to make it sound really good anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.