GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A change?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/10/06 at 14:57
Regular
The gaming world is about to pick up. Major third parties are preparing themselves for the final entrants into the next generation console battle: Sony’s technical powerhouse and Nintendo’s innovative new machine. As fans we await, with intense anticipation, the future of video gaming.

And yet, behind the hushed excitement and the mass pre-orders, there lurks a colossal problem that will not go away. Already this year the mega publisher, EA, have made 200 members of its staff redundant whilst Activision have dismissed 150. Publishers continue to stamp their feet over lost revenue through the sale of pre-owned software whilst the Electronics Entertainment Expo, traditionally a celebration of all things gaming, has all but gone. Is the industry in decline?

Critics who argue against such a possibility use the fact that software and hardware sales increased in 2005 over the previous year. Yet they gloss over the unarguable fact that this was down to the release of three new consoles, the PSP, the DS and the X-box 360. The dying industry can be seen all around us, online retailers going into administration and even high street chains, such as Blockbuster’s Gamestation stores, have reported huge losses.

The hype surrounding modern video games are also not as it was. There is scepticism over anything new, which is understandable considering the lack of ambition shown by many publishers. Take Activision’s big new gamble, Gun. The game turned out to be nothing more than a short, story driven, GTA clone set in the wild west, and this is indicative of a lot of these new “innovative” ideas. With money the only thing on publishers agendas it is the sure-fire hits that get produced. If a small company comes up with a clever, quirky original new title it is unlikely to get published ahead of a new GTA clone.

The market leaders, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are trying to promote originality in software by altering the hardware. Sony created the EyeToy, an interesting and exciting piece of hardware. Microsoft is selling their machine as an “online games console”; it is not a mere optional extra like it is with their rivals. Meanwhile the Nintendo’s DS and Wii use new methods of control to promote change.

Yet where is the commitment? If the EyeToy is such a grand new idea, why did Sony market it as a mere add on? Why not bundle it as a true alternative to the dual shock pad? If Microsoft’s console is truly an “online console” why is there the option not to have a hard drive? And why isn’t the online service free? And the Wii is a philosophical contradiction in itself. Why are we being sold the idea of a gaming revolution whilst also being told “oh and you can download nearly Nintendo’s entire back catalogue”? Is it really a move forward or a move backwards?

The fact is Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are scared of truly letting go of the past. All of the innovations, from GBA connectivity to intelligent ways of using a hard drive are promising, but they never fulfil their promises.

For the industry to move forward we are in need of something new, something fresh. We need to let the small developer run the show; inventive young people who have big ideas but are stifled by a thoroughly unimaginative industry. Perhaps if a change is to happen, maybe it is Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony themselves that need to be changed. Now that is a true gaming Revolution, not some gyroscopic TV remote.

So, when you watch Z-list celebrities unveil the latest GTA clones, when you see Nintendo confirm another batch of re-releases and when you listen to the over excited spokesman sell his or her companies image for the future… ask yourself this, what do you want to see?

Because you are the future.

Dringo.
Mon 16/10/06 at 18:04
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Dringo must be wanting a new game :-D

Shush. I have been writing some articles to spruce up my portfolio and I felt I had something to say to the world and Freeola.

What is with this skepticism :P

Nice to see you comparing this to a published article though Alfonse. That makes me proud.
Mon 16/10/06 at 16:30
Regular
The last time I saw someone write something like this, the next day I saw it in PS3 magazine :/

I think it was about phone graphics or something?

Yup here we go: High-definition games? That's not the future.

I hope Cruciatium Fixative did not get a gameaday for this.
Mon 16/10/06 at 15:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Dringo must be wanting a new game :-D
Mon 16/10/06 at 14:57
Regular
The gaming world is about to pick up. Major third parties are preparing themselves for the final entrants into the next generation console battle: Sony’s technical powerhouse and Nintendo’s innovative new machine. As fans we await, with intense anticipation, the future of video gaming.

And yet, behind the hushed excitement and the mass pre-orders, there lurks a colossal problem that will not go away. Already this year the mega publisher, EA, have made 200 members of its staff redundant whilst Activision have dismissed 150. Publishers continue to stamp their feet over lost revenue through the sale of pre-owned software whilst the Electronics Entertainment Expo, traditionally a celebration of all things gaming, has all but gone. Is the industry in decline?

Critics who argue against such a possibility use the fact that software and hardware sales increased in 2005 over the previous year. Yet they gloss over the unarguable fact that this was down to the release of three new consoles, the PSP, the DS and the X-box 360. The dying industry can be seen all around us, online retailers going into administration and even high street chains, such as Blockbuster’s Gamestation stores, have reported huge losses.

The hype surrounding modern video games are also not as it was. There is scepticism over anything new, which is understandable considering the lack of ambition shown by many publishers. Take Activision’s big new gamble, Gun. The game turned out to be nothing more than a short, story driven, GTA clone set in the wild west, and this is indicative of a lot of these new “innovative” ideas. With money the only thing on publishers agendas it is the sure-fire hits that get produced. If a small company comes up with a clever, quirky original new title it is unlikely to get published ahead of a new GTA clone.

The market leaders, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are trying to promote originality in software by altering the hardware. Sony created the EyeToy, an interesting and exciting piece of hardware. Microsoft is selling their machine as an “online games console”; it is not a mere optional extra like it is with their rivals. Meanwhile the Nintendo’s DS and Wii use new methods of control to promote change.

Yet where is the commitment? If the EyeToy is such a grand new idea, why did Sony market it as a mere add on? Why not bundle it as a true alternative to the dual shock pad? If Microsoft’s console is truly an “online console” why is there the option not to have a hard drive? And why isn’t the online service free? And the Wii is a philosophical contradiction in itself. Why are we being sold the idea of a gaming revolution whilst also being told “oh and you can download nearly Nintendo’s entire back catalogue”? Is it really a move forward or a move backwards?

The fact is Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are scared of truly letting go of the past. All of the innovations, from GBA connectivity to intelligent ways of using a hard drive are promising, but they never fulfil their promises.

For the industry to move forward we are in need of something new, something fresh. We need to let the small developer run the show; inventive young people who have big ideas but are stifled by a thoroughly unimaginative industry. Perhaps if a change is to happen, maybe it is Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony themselves that need to be changed. Now that is a true gaming Revolution, not some gyroscopic TV remote.

So, when you watch Z-list celebrities unveil the latest GTA clones, when you see Nintendo confirm another batch of re-releases and when you listen to the over excited spokesman sell his or her companies image for the future… ask yourself this, what do you want to see?

Because you are the future.

Dringo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.