GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Its about time"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/02/01 at 14:21
Regular
Have you noticed that more and more games make time an important element of play? I got Majoras Mask for Xmas, and this really takes time into account with 3 days to finish the game, and certain characters and events doing things or happening at certain times. I believe Shenmue also uses time, as you play through a day. Even gameboy ganmes are starting to use this feature, with the latest Pokemon games only allowing you to catch certain Pokemon at different times.

I think that in the future we will see this used even more. It certainly could be developed to be used effectively on the latest consoles. Just think of the extras that can come into games.

What I'd like to see would be a game set in modern day. Maybe a game in which you play a detective or something. You'd have to go see different people at differnet times, and travelling in rush hour would be really busy. You could go on stakeouts, arrange meetings, and things like that.

I can see time as being really important in some future games, and I cant wait!
Fri 09/02/01 at 14:21
Have you noticed that more and more games make time an important element of play? I got Majoras Mask for Xmas, and this really takes time into account with 3 days to finish the game, and certain characters and events doing things or happening at certain times. I believe Shenmue also uses time, as you play through a day. Even gameboy ganmes are starting to use this feature, with the latest Pokemon games only allowing you to catch certain Pokemon at different times.

I think that in the future we will see this used even more. It certainly could be developed to be used effectively on the latest consoles. Just think of the extras that can come into games.

What I'd like to see would be a game set in modern day. Maybe a game in which you play a detective or something. You'd have to go see different people at differnet times, and travelling in rush hour would be really busy. You could go on stakeouts, arrange meetings, and things like that.

I can see time as being really important in some future games, and I cant wait!
Fri 09/02/01 at 14:38
"Darkness, always"
Well, time has always been a feature of games to a certain extent. Games are now just becoming more time sensitive.

I think we will be seeing more games that require you to do certain things within a certain period of time. This is not because it is some new trend, but instead because it is becoming more and more simple to program the triggers to allow such gaming. In a way, it is the software houses showing off, but also, by limiting your time, they are limiting the amount of time you have to find bugs in the games, very sneaky move that one...

-IB
Fri 09/02/01 at 18:05
Regular
"they are limiting the amount of time you have to find bugs in the games, very sneaky move that one..."

The most obvious thing that springs to mind...

The Sims made good use of time management. Like real life.

Except a bit quicker.

And you could speed it up when you got bored.

And you could pause it.

Well not like real life at all then.
Fri 09/02/01 at 18:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
H.G. Wells, in his book 'The Time Machine', made very good use of the concept of time.

But that wasn't a game.

Oh.
Fri 09/02/01 at 18:21
Regular
Actually they did make it into a game.

But it was crap.

So there wasn't much point in saying it really, was there.

No.

(You're talking to yourself Grix.)

Was I?

(Yup.)

Wow... I must be going mad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.