GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Big Companies - Milking it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/02/01 at 12:52
Regular
We've seen crazes come and we've seen crazes go. In came wrestling in the early nineties and out it went in the mid nineties. (Yes I know its back now) Thomas the Tank Engine was an absolutely huge success but now it's appeal has worn off. Lots of youngsters still like it but it's barley ever shown on TV anymore. One of the biggest influences of my childhood is now dead in the water.

Nowadays we've still got crazes but they are nowhere as big as they were before. Take Pokémon for example. It was the biggest thing you could find in America and Japan then it came over here and, for about 3 months you couldn't turn anywhere without seeing Pikachus cute little face advertising this or that. Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Pokémon because that’s down to personal choice, but I hate the way big companies such as Tescos and Woolworth’s are taking advantage of the nations youth today.

They are milking everything they can out of Pokémon, putting a new product in their shops every single bloody week, with the hope that some poor impressionable child somewhere will walk into a shop with his Mum or Dad and say,"Mummy Mummy, please can I have that portable Pokémon cleaning kit" (Okay a bit theatrical but you get my drift)

Now Pokémon is starting to die out the company that created it is trying to earn that last dollar. I'm sure you all have heard of the Pokémon trading card game. Sure what’s wrong with it? Well what’s wrong with it is that kids in playgrounds everywhere can remember every single little fact about all 151 Pokémon and not know a damn thing about what they're supposed to learn about in school. These are the future generation and we're trying to pollute their minds with a load of crap about furry little monsters that can perform megachops and the suchlike.

It's the same with the computer games for crying out loud. You've got Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon Stadium 2 (which is in the last stages of development), Pokémon Snap, Hey You Pikachu and now Pokémon Puzzle League. That’s 5 games on one single console for Pete’s sake. Fair play Pokémon Snap is actually quite a fun game and Hey You Pikachu is an extremely novel idea with the VRU (Voice Recognition Unit) but do we really need all these games? No.

Then there’s the countless rip offs of huge crazes like these. Digimon anyone? Exactly, the same thing but replacing the Poké with Digi.

As well as taking advantage of all the children who do like Pokémon there is inevitably going to be some kids who actually don't like Pokémon. With all these products some children are going to get just a little bit fed up, aren't they?

Then you've got the movies. Pokémon: The Movie wasn't exactly as large as the makers had expected it to be. So what do they do? They make another one! Wow great idea or what! Pokémon: The Movie 2001 is just some fat cats somewhere who aren't happy enough just simply polluting the minds of tomorrows adults, they aren't happy enough with the amount of money they've raked in either. So they try and make some more by taking the same film and adding an extra Pokémon here, a new landscape there...

You would think that Children would notice this, wouldn't you? Well no they don't. I'm not going to bother telling you why because if you've read what I've already written you will probably already know the answer.

This got me thinking. If they can do it why don't game makers? Then I realised that they do!! Sequels to games are simply the developers trying to make a bit of extra cash. Okay sometimes the sequels are actually quite good and other times they're not, but they've all got the same motive behind them. Films converted into games. What’s wrong with that you ask? Nothing as long the maker’s are actually trying to make a decent game to entertain the general public and not to rip them off.

I hope by now you get my point. I'm sorry to rant on and on about this but I've finally decided to speak out against what I hate most in society today. Greed.

RBS
Fri 09/02/01 at 21:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
He's there, but he got covered by a staple.
Fri 09/02/01 at 21:07
Regular
"You've upset me"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> ...what I can remember of it, anyway...

u an grix are nutters, oh by the way grix, where was your pic in the maggy?
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:56
Regular
...what I can remember of it, anyway...
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:55
Regular
You kidding? It was hilarious!!!!
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:53
Regular
I don't think his tragic childhood is a laughing matter.

(Baaa ha ha ha ha!)

Fri 09/02/01 at 20:50
Regular
"You've upset me"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> That's personal information. I don't give it out. Here's a hint
> though, my parents were hippies, still would be today if they were
> both still around, and I used to get LSD slipped into my bottle when
> I was in the crib, which goes a long way in explaining how I turned
> into the wild child that I am today.

lol
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:45
Regular
That's personal information. I don't give it out. Here's a hint though, my parents were hippies, still would be today if they were both still around, and I used to get LSD slipped into my bottle when I was in the crib, which goes a long way in explaining how I turned into the wild child that I am today.
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:41
Regular
"You've upset me"
FantasyMeister wrote:

By the way, with regards to
> your last question, yes I do sometimes post like a 7 year old, and
> at other times I post at levels years ahead of the real me, it just
> depends how tired and unhumourous I feel at the time.

so exactly how old are you?
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:38
Regular
Nope. I just lost the pretentious 'Registered' trademark at the end of my name when I recently changed my name to MantasyFeister. When I tried to change it back to the original, I couldn't remember what the keypad code was for the symbol, so I am now back to my original self, in spirit if not in spelling.

By the way, with regards to your last question, yes I do sometimes post like a 7 year old, and at other times I post at levels years ahead of the real me, it just depends how tired and unhumourous I feel at the time.
Fri 09/02/01 at 20:32
Regular
"You've upset me"
hang on a sec, your the fake FM

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.