GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Earth Hour"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/03/09 at 14:25
"possibly impossible"
As you might already be aware, tomorrow evening at 20.30 GMT (local time, so rolling around the world by time-zone), there will be a global demonstration of how much impact can be achieved by switching off unnecessary electrical appliances and lighting.

http://www.earthhour.org/home/ or via the UK World Wildlife Fund's site: http://earthhour.wwf.org.uk/

Anyone interested in joining in?
Sat 28/03/09 at 22:57
Regular
"eat toast!"
i spent the time having the lights in the hallway and living room on whilst i played titan quest and had the router on for no reason.

I have restored balance to the universe. You save energy so i can waste it and keep the world and the electrical industry alive.
Sat 28/03/09 at 20:35
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Lights off. I think the point of this is somewhat diminished by the TV and laptop being on. I prefer the dark anyway so this is a normal Saturday night for me. Was supposed to go and see Monsters Vs Aliens but cant be bothered.
Sat 28/03/09 at 20:02
Regular
Everyone got their candles ready? 20 odd minutes to go...
Fri 27/03/09 at 20:04
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I think it's a good idea and I remember it one or two years ago as well, but there's always the worry that people will switch off their lights for this one hour and feel they've 'done their bit' and go back to leaving lights on, leaving everything on standby and generally not caring too much about the impact they're having... Although it is good in the sense of raising awareness and acting as a publicity stunt, and it's so easy anyone can get involved...
Fri 27/03/09 at 19:29
Regular
I hate things that can only stay in standby :/ what a waste of power. Has anyone got one of those monitors where you can see how much power you're using?

@YH, I hope they wouldnt do that, I guess they would increase the tax in other areas. Electric and gas prices are high already and they're only going to go up. Thats why we need to cut down on our usuage and power our own stuff ^^ Then that just leaves the water supply. hmm we cant all have streams in our gardens so we'll collect rain water from our roofs and filter it for our drinking water. Mmm
Fri 27/03/09 at 17:26
Regular
Machie wrote:
> Soon the days of paying £40 worth of petrol a week will be
> gone.

And how much do you think you will end up paying for electricity to power your car? What do you think the government will tax to high heaven to replace the revenue lost from less people buying petrol?

This read as a very abrupt post, so thought I'd add I'm not being funny, am genuinely curious.

EDIT - I won't actually be in at that time, so no lights will be on in my home anyway. We've just bought a new telly the other week - one of the tubes went on our CRT everyone went the colour of a smurf. We got one of those Samsung 32" ones (from sainsburys of all places). Anyway, the point of this is that our new telly can't be turned off - it seems you can only put it on standby unless you pull the plug out. How ridiculous is that?!
Fri 27/03/09 at 16:19
Regular
Never heard about it before my girlfriend told me. So its getting attention down in Singapore and that whole region.

I'll be taking part so I better make sure we have some candles ready.

I think we should all be insulating our homes, putting solar panels on our roofs and wind turbines in our garden. Oh and give away lots of free bags so all the shops can ban plastic bags.

My mum works at Somerfield, this old woman comes in 3 or 4 times a day buying the same products (tissues, milk, chocolate desserts) and ALWAYS insists in having a bag, never bringing her own. She must have 1000s at home, what a waste.

I'm pleased to see cheaper electric cars are in production. :) Soon the days of paying £40 worth of petrol a week will be gone.
Fri 27/03/09 at 16:00
Regular
Anybody else watch that 'I own Britain's best home' last night? (I was forced in to it)

There was an awesome house that basically had a garden as a roof (turf keeping in heat etc), but meant that the whole house could be run on less than £500 per year - and we're talking about a mansion-sized house ... + 1.
Fri 27/03/09 at 15:24
Regular
"eat toast!"
interested? No. I prefer a more proactive solution. Like putting money into renewable resources, nuclear power, fusion battery technology and asking people to find a renewable resource. Like using chip pan oil.
Fri 27/03/09 at 15:03
"possibly impossible"
Hah. I guess you could read it like that.

It's more of an awareness thing. Though what lighting is un-necessary when it gets to 8.30pm depends on how dark it is and how much light you need, I guess...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.