GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"xp problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/03/09 at 12:46
Regular
anyone had start up problems with xp. I have two desktop pc's, one with xp home and one with xp pro. Can't believe that both have developed the same start up problem. Both will boot up into log in then shut down and show a small window saying "going to sleep" as though going into hibernation. Unchecked screensaver and hibernation buttons but no better. Checked blog sites etc, found a couple of items on this problem but no one has come up with a fix. Help, driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fri 27/03/09 at 12:46
Regular
anyone had start up problems with xp. I have two desktop pc's, one with xp home and one with xp pro. Can't believe that both have developed the same start up problem. Both will boot up into log in then shut down and show a small window saying "going to sleep" as though going into hibernation. Unchecked screensaver and hibernation buttons but no better. Checked blog sites etc, found a couple of items on this problem but no one has come up with a fix. Help, driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fri 27/03/09 at 13:10
Regular
Do you have any anti-virus software, and are the PCs linked up (networked) to one another?
Fri 27/03/09 at 13:27
Regular
not networked, no anti-virus, no internet conns at moment, ran spyware software on both, both clean. The pc with xp pro will now boot to desktop and remain stable for 4-5 mins then just shut down, as though someone has pulled the plug. The one with xp home edition will boot up and then shut down time after time adinfinitum, will not even get to the log in stage?
Fri 27/03/09 at 13:47
Regular
Ok. It's possible that this is a hardware problem caused by a power surge of some sort, perhaps, but first I would get some anti-virus software and scan your system.

We actually sell the cheapest and best anti-virus you can buy, here.

It's hard to diagnose these problems without actually being there, but try scanning your system with anti-virus software as not having sufficient protection against these things will leave you open to attacks both now and in the future too.

Before you do though, try booting in 'safe-mode' by restarting your pc and pressing F8 lots whilst it boots. This will take you to a screen where you can choose to boot in safe-mode. This will have your PC only load the programs that it needs to function (so hopefully no viruses!) but see what happens.
Fri 27/03/09 at 14:04
Regular
ran panda, cleaned everything out, then uninstalled it, on both machines, done the f8 bit, gone through the whole list ie, normal s/up, last config, safe mode, no change. Even ran misonfig/ startup/ tried the 3 load options, no change. Ran chkdsk, no problems found, got me baffled. Could it be there is a bug in xp? Thanks anyway
Fri 27/03/09 at 14:11
Regular
Sounds like you either want to reinstall XP and/or check your hardware then, unfortunately.
Fri 27/03/09 at 16:49
Regular
sounds more like a hardware problem, especially if its not got internet connection? how are you posting here with no internet?

You can get a pc to shut down very quickly if the thing overheats.

Digi
Fri 27/03/09 at 17:46
Regular
Digitrader wrote:
> sounds more like a hardware problem, especially if its not got
> internet connection? how are you posting here with no internet?
>
> You can get a pc to shut down very quickly if the thing
> overheats.
>
> Digi

using a laptop !!!!!!!!!!!!
you can also have desktop alerts if a critical cpu overheat !!!!!!!!!!!!
Both pc's have exact same problem, still think it's xp software bug.
Anyway up thanks for your input, i will find a solution, can't let it get the better of me. Let you know if i work out a fix. Cheers Dave.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.