GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The success of a console is dependant on games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/01 at 20:11
Regular
Since the birth of consoles, for the system to sell well there has to be a reason and that reason is usually the games. Many console’s futures are decided not by the power of the machine but the quality and quantity of the software. If the games at the start don’t live up to expectations it’s life could be decided before it even gets started.

This is the reason why it is so important to have the back up from companies. They’re the people who are going to provide the games, and if you don’t have enough support the machine will fail because it is the games that sell the machine. I mean the company that designs the system can’t produce the games and expect there to be enough for the consumer to be happy.

Just think how many games there would be on the PlayStation if they didn’t have the back up from the big companies, and made all they games themselves, there would be a very small percentage of the games on the shelf today. So without Namco, Polyphony and Konami, we wouldn’t have Tekken, GT or MGS, and these games were a major selling point for the PlayStation and without them I don’t think the PlayStation would be where it is today.

For Instance has anyone heard of the Atari Jaguar released in 1993 it was the worlds first 64bit machine (nope the N64 wasn’t the first) and way ahead of its time. But at this time also was the SNES and Megadrive, but they were 16bit. But because they both had a huge library of games, including Mario on the SNES and Sonic on the Megadrive it meant that no matter how good the Jaguar was it wasn’t going to sell very well because of the limited amount of games. So in time the jaguar with very few games (made mainly by Atari) failed, and was pushed out of the fight by Nintendo and Sega.

But the biggest dominating product on the gaming market has fought off every competition for over 10 years and is still going, and again it owes its success to the games and promotion. I’m talking about the legendary Gameboy, It’s fought of the Sega Gamegear, Atari Lynx and the recent NeoGeo. It first advertising itself as the games machine you can fit in your pocket, with the one of the all time greatest selling games Tetris. This time not even Sega’s colour carry around could fight it off in the early days, and the relatively new NeoGeo with much better graphics didn’t have the huge list of games that the Gameboy had. Also when the NeoGeo first came out it was around the lunch of Pokemon so it didn’t really give the NeoGeo a chance. Also with the new advance it looks like it will be with us a long time, and it owes its success to games.

So concluding this I can safely say that every system needs great games. So no matter how good the system is, if the games companies don’t make the games and walk through the doors that the machine has opened then the machine will suffer. So it is going to be very interesting to see in the next year or so especially with the entry of Microsoft to the gaming world, how important the games are going to be in the four way war with Microsoft v Nintendo v Sony v Sega. So out of these what’s going to do the best?

Thu 08/02/01 at 20:11
Since the birth of consoles, for the system to sell well there has to be a reason and that reason is usually the games. Many console’s futures are decided not by the power of the machine but the quality and quantity of the software. If the games at the start don’t live up to expectations it’s life could be decided before it even gets started.

This is the reason why it is so important to have the back up from companies. They’re the people who are going to provide the games, and if you don’t have enough support the machine will fail because it is the games that sell the machine. I mean the company that designs the system can’t produce the games and expect there to be enough for the consumer to be happy.

Just think how many games there would be on the PlayStation if they didn’t have the back up from the big companies, and made all they games themselves, there would be a very small percentage of the games on the shelf today. So without Namco, Polyphony and Konami, we wouldn’t have Tekken, GT or MGS, and these games were a major selling point for the PlayStation and without them I don’t think the PlayStation would be where it is today.

For Instance has anyone heard of the Atari Jaguar released in 1993 it was the worlds first 64bit machine (nope the N64 wasn’t the first) and way ahead of its time. But at this time also was the SNES and Megadrive, but they were 16bit. But because they both had a huge library of games, including Mario on the SNES and Sonic on the Megadrive it meant that no matter how good the Jaguar was it wasn’t going to sell very well because of the limited amount of games. So in time the jaguar with very few games (made mainly by Atari) failed, and was pushed out of the fight by Nintendo and Sega.

But the biggest dominating product on the gaming market has fought off every competition for over 10 years and is still going, and again it owes its success to the games and promotion. I’m talking about the legendary Gameboy, It’s fought of the Sega Gamegear, Atari Lynx and the recent NeoGeo. It first advertising itself as the games machine you can fit in your pocket, with the one of the all time greatest selling games Tetris. This time not even Sega’s colour carry around could fight it off in the early days, and the relatively new NeoGeo with much better graphics didn’t have the huge list of games that the Gameboy had. Also when the NeoGeo first came out it was around the lunch of Pokemon so it didn’t really give the NeoGeo a chance. Also with the new advance it looks like it will be with us a long time, and it owes its success to games.

So concluding this I can safely say that every system needs great games. So no matter how good the system is, if the games companies don’t make the games and walk through the doors that the machine has opened then the machine will suffer. So it is going to be very interesting to see in the next year or so especially with the entry of Microsoft to the gaming world, how important the games are going to be in the four way war with Microsoft v Nintendo v Sony v Sega. So out of these what’s going to do the best?

Thu 08/02/01 at 20:17
Regular
It seems that it now takes a genie to tell everybody what we all know, and have discussed millions of times. No offense.
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:17
well I would have thought that this point was obvious genie. If a console don't ahve any games it's not going to sell is it? so this is a bit of a blatent gameaday attempt methinks.
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:18
Regular
Actually, I bet you`ll win gameaday. Anybody else?
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:21
azzido wrote:
> well I would have thought that this point was obvious

But then again if this is so obvious why do games companies repeattedly make this mistake
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:22
ssxpro wrote:
> Actually, I bet you`ll win gameaday. Anybody else?

yeah he probably will, but why? he's only telling us what we all know
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:23
Cheers by the way ssxpro, and are you really a pro at SSX
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:25
Regular
Well, I`ve done everything there is to do at the game, so in my opinion yes (no modesty there), however, there are probably lots of people who have higher trick scores or faster times.
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:27
azzido wrote:
>he's only telling us what we all know

Maybe i am and i know that you know it is only repetition but perhaps if we stress it enough companies will prosper and not conseed defeat at the first hurdle
Thu 08/02/01 at 20:32
If this was the case (your title statement) then don't you think the Dreamcast should have been more successful?

Maybe Sega should have worked out that sponsoring football teams for obscene amounts of money wouldn't hide the fact that there are no good football games on Dreamcast. Hmmm. Worldwide Soccer? NO THANK YOU.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.