GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Improving hits and getting your site noticed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/03/09 at 23:18
"possibly impossible"
If you’ve just created a new website with Freeola and are wondering when all the traffic will turn up on your doorstep, it might be time to consider raising your profile on search engines and also encouraging more people to stay.

I recently did some research into getting site traffic, partly out of interest and partly to see if i could get a site advertised once it's been finished. These are the results I've come up with:

Links
The most obvious way of promoting your site is the trick of finding as many other sites as possible to link to you. You can do this through forums (if they are relevant and allow advertising, always check the rules) or through other external websites which you can contact by email. Another way is to add a link in your footer on any forum that supports them.

The other reason to add your site to forums is that search engines love to get information from forum posts, so you’re likely to get google to notice you as much this way as by submitting the information manually to the engine.

Metatags
Metatags aren’t always supported by search engines (google in particular), but they are still worth adding to your site and often work in attracting visitors. The best system is to ensure you have a MetaDescription.

You can add MetaDescriptions by adding a simple piece of code in between the two ‘head’ codes (the header). An example would be:

Buy my Gadgets

The text should be kept to less than 250 characters as many search engines will cut off any text after this point.

If you want, you can even add Meta Keywords to your site, but to be honest it won’t be used by many search engines. If you still want to have these in, just add a line like the one below the Meta Description and before the end of the Head code;

Add your site
Search engines often have the ability to add your site information manually, but this can be time consuming (despite still being worth doing).
You may also be tempted to use one of the many search engine companies promising big returns for a small fee which will allow your site to be added to many engines at once. To be honest, though, if you do the other suggestions above then you’re likely to get noticed anyway.

Update not stagnate
Websites love updates, so keep your site updated as often as you can. The header and brief text at the top of the site is especially good for updating and maybe even adding a news ticker or events log near your title (as long as it’s updated) would be a good idea.

Tell the world
Lastly, tell your friends, hand out cards and generally shout your website address to the world. Word of mouth is a great way of advertising your site without spending a penny.
Thu 26/03/09 at 18:49
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hmmm...!

Your help is clearly appreciated across the forum! I am surprised that a Game-A-Day award hasn't been issued to you in a while. Generally (but not officially) awards go to written guides or tutorials, as these are helpful to a wider audience.

I do still think your comment is fair, and we shall bare it in mind in future :).
Thu 26/03/09 at 18:31
"Are you sure?"
Contrats pb :¬) GAD winners

I was hoping the hours spent helping some of the others with their recent problems would get me some where :¬(

I'll have to take a leaf or two out of your book...

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 25/03/09 at 12:18
"possibly impossible"
Thanks Hmmm, I'm going to read though those and pick up some more tips myself! Feel free to let me know if you spot anything incorrect in my post too, like I said, I'm still learning!
Wed 25/03/09 at 09:20
"Are you sure?"
Also here are some previous Search Engine related posts that may be helpful:

Search Engines - by cjh.
Page Titles and Search Engines - info within thread.
Search Engine Tips - written with Instant Sites in mind.
Use a sitemap to tell Search Engines about your web pages.
SEO with InstantPro - Official Freeola page.

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Tue 24/03/09 at 23:18
"possibly impossible"
If you’ve just created a new website with Freeola and are wondering when all the traffic will turn up on your doorstep, it might be time to consider raising your profile on search engines and also encouraging more people to stay.

I recently did some research into getting site traffic, partly out of interest and partly to see if i could get a site advertised once it's been finished. These are the results I've come up with:

Links
The most obvious way of promoting your site is the trick of finding as many other sites as possible to link to you. You can do this through forums (if they are relevant and allow advertising, always check the rules) or through other external websites which you can contact by email. Another way is to add a link in your footer on any forum that supports them.

The other reason to add your site to forums is that search engines love to get information from forum posts, so you’re likely to get google to notice you as much this way as by submitting the information manually to the engine.

Metatags
Metatags aren’t always supported by search engines (google in particular), but they are still worth adding to your site and often work in attracting visitors. The best system is to ensure you have a MetaDescription.

You can add MetaDescriptions by adding a simple piece of code in between the two ‘head’ codes (the header). An example would be:

Buy my Gadgets

The text should be kept to less than 250 characters as many search engines will cut off any text after this point.

If you want, you can even add Meta Keywords to your site, but to be honest it won’t be used by many search engines. If you still want to have these in, just add a line like the one below the Meta Description and before the end of the Head code;

Add your site
Search engines often have the ability to add your site information manually, but this can be time consuming (despite still being worth doing).
You may also be tempted to use one of the many search engine companies promising big returns for a small fee which will allow your site to be added to many engines at once. To be honest, though, if you do the other suggestions above then you’re likely to get noticed anyway.

Update not stagnate
Websites love updates, so keep your site updated as often as you can. The header and brief text at the top of the site is especially good for updating and maybe even adding a news ticker or events log near your title (as long as it’s updated) would be a good idea.

Tell the world
Lastly, tell your friends, hand out cards and generally shout your website address to the world. Word of mouth is a great way of advertising your site without spending a penny.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.