GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DDNS for remote access"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/03/09 at 18:33
Regular
Hi,

I have a static IP with Freeola and a registered domain with them.

I want to be able to use a remote access program on my mobile to access my home system.

Can I use DynDNS.org to point one of their (new) hostnames at my static IP or will it screw my IP/Domain details?

The question arises from the fact I get server authentication error whenever I try to connect from the mobile to my static IP:port, and my router, system firewall and mobile firewall are all set to allow .

Neil
Tue 24/03/09 at 18:33
Regular
Hi,

I have a static IP with Freeola and a registered domain with them.

I want to be able to use a remote access program on my mobile to access my home system.

Can I use DynDNS.org to point one of their (new) hostnames at my static IP or will it screw my IP/Domain details?

The question arises from the fact I get server authentication error whenever I try to connect from the mobile to my static IP:port, and my router, system firewall and mobile firewall are all set to allow .

Neil
Tue 24/03/09 at 19:33
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Because you have a Static IP address, you do not require the services for DynDNS apart from the fact that they can give you a free host name to point towards your IP address.

If you have forwarded the correct ports for forwarding (generally 5900 udp/tcp) then you should have no problems what so ever whilst trying to login.

Obviously you need to ensure that you are forwarding the port to the relevant machine in your local network, and that you have the Remote Assistance application running on that machine.
Tue 24/03/09 at 19:38
Regular
I have the port forwarded as documented and the 'server' is running.

It still fails authentication. It is T2 Remote Touch for Windows Mobile.

N.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it authenticates ok via 192.168... but not my external IP.
Tue 24/03/09 at 19:45
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
If your connected locally to the server machine running the remote assistance software, then you will only be able to connect using your local IP address.

When you try to login using an external Internet connection, the port forwarding will be utilized and refer the connection to that specific machine in your network.

Basically, it won't work using your external IP on the same local network, but if you try connecting using another Internet connection you will see that it works.
Tue 24/03/09 at 19:56
Regular
Right gotcha.

Based on that, I turned the mobiles wifi off and disconnected the usb activesync - and it still failed.

What am I doing wrong *starts pulling hair out*?

N.
Tue 24/03/09 at 20:00
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
So does your phone still have a 3G/Edge connection then, when not connected to Wifi? It may be possible that you are not able to use remote assistance over a 3G/Edge connection however I am not sure.

I would suggest when possible to try from another Broadband/Wifi connection and see if it then works...

Only other thing I can suggest is port forwarding. When doing so you would have had to configure specific port numbers, which ones did you configure?
Tue 24/03/09 at 20:04
Regular
Remote Touch (mobile) is compatible with 3G/Edge/Wifi etc.

The documentation suggests that the router forwards 3230.

N.
Tue 24/03/09 at 21:05
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
I should have asked by now really, but what Remote Assistance software are you using is it VNC or SSH or what?

Ill have a look at ports need to be forwarded, generally for any form of Remote Desktop or VNC its ports 5900 I believe.
Tue 24/03/09 at 21:14
Regular
I have installed nothing else on the pc except the Remote Touch Server software. Obviously, Remote Touch client is on the mobile.

That is all that is required to run the program.

Google "T2 Remote Touch windows mobile"

N.
Wed 25/03/09 at 11:57
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Well I've had a look through the installation guide, and it seems pretty generic for most Remote Assistance software. If you've completed all of the steps, all I can imagine is that your not able to connect using 3G/Edge.

Try connecting from another Wireless connection if possible?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.