GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil 5"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 5'.
Tue 24/03/09 at 12:45
Regular
1996 saw the release of a revolutionary title that would spur the onset of a new gaming genre altogether – Capcom’s Resident Evil, opening to wide critical acclaim, made the survival horror genre a mainstay and wide favourite among gamers. Since its origins, however, it has evolved considerably, particularly with the fourth installment released in 2004, in which the gameplay engine was largely overhauled, rectifying many complaints from gamers, allowing a more streamlined (and decidedly less frustrating) gaming experience.

March sees the release of the much-hyped Resident Evil 5. Building on the engine of the fourth game, 5 pushes the bar further, allowing co-operative play throughout the entire game, even extending this to online play. Thus, it is certain to say that the series of noble origins has evolved into a gloriously lavish production.

And although most will be happy with the changes made in the last two Resident Evil games, purists may find the move away from horror elements somewhat jarring, as Resident Evil 5 is through and through an action game above all else. Gone are the frustrating puzzles and hours without a save point – yes, Resident Evil 5 is certainly the easiest of the bunch, but it is the most fun and least frustrating, even if it is a touch too easy.

Resident Evil 5 begins with series regular Chris Redfield in Africa, accompanied by female sidekick Sheva, as they investigate Las Plagas infections in the area. Unfortunately, what they would encounter is more terrifying than they would expect – the parasitic infection of Resident Evil 4 has evolved into a Type 2 intonation, making enemies even more fierce, and furthermore, there are even some vicious, bullet-fodder Type 3 baddies occasionally out to get you, as well as some ferocious and inventive bosses.

So yes, difficulty aside, Resident Evil 5 is as well-constructed a game as any RE fan could ask for. For those who dispised babysitting Ashley for most of Resident Evil 4, you’ll be relieved that the system AI for Sheva is mostly competent – she will occasionally become stuck in objects, and her voice over work is certainly irritating, but if kitted out correctly, she is a valuable asset to your outfit. Naturally, however, the heart of the game comes with playing co-operative with either a friend locally or online – it renders the game even easier than with an AI component, but it is unmeasurably fun, and certainly less irritating (unless you get a player attempting simply to sabotage your game).

Visually, RE5 is a stunning package – it may simply be a refinement of RE4, sure, but everything from the particle effects to the voluminous gore floating around the screen are a joy to observe. The wonderfully realised, grotesque bosses are beautifully rendered, and make the experience not exactly terrifying (thanks to the difficulty), but certainly intense. The presentation of the cut scenes in particular are stellar, accompanied by a superb heart-pounding soundtrack. In fact, the only fault on the presentation side is that Sheva’s voice-over is repetitive and therefore highly irritating.

Although RE5 is little challenging, there are a few touches to ensure your attention never falters – as previously, the much-complained about fact that you cannot shoot and move at the same time remains, and Capcom have now made the inventory system real-time, meaning that you have to be more on your toes than ever before. These changes, however, simply take a little getting used to, and after an hour or so, you’ll never wish for anything different.

It is difficult to say how hardcore fans will respond to the changes made in RE5 – it is a mostly easy game, but to this effect it is highly accessible for non-fans or for those who find disdain in some of the series’ more cumbersome elements (such as a lack of saving, which is wholly rectified here). As an action game, it is certainly one of the best entries onto a console in a long time – with an exciting array of weaponry and stunning set pieces, this is a great entry into the series, although it will to an extent divide gamers.

9/10

Thanks for reading,
Reefer
Sun 03/10/10 at 23:31
Regular
"good game site"
very good game 10
Mon 30/03/09 at 12:29
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Have you done the giant ogre thing yet? Just done him on my third play through on hard now. He actually scales in difficulty incredibly.

Anyone figured out yet how to activate the "infinite ammo" by the way? Notice you get the extra option available on new game plus but it doesn't actually do anything for me. Maybe I am being useless????
Wed 25/03/09 at 21:26
Regular
"THFC"
I know what you mean! It is rather annoying when you hear bullets being fired and you notice they are being wasted on you!

Well i am chapter 3-1, and i have taken out some pretty impressive bosses and the story is now starting to get a little bit interesting, so i am really enjoying it thus far and hopefully it will continue!
Wed 25/03/09 at 19:10
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Completed it last weekend in the end.
I went on and on about it here in the office (I had been waiting a year for it after all)

It is an incredibly good game, especially as you move further in and upgrade and unlock new weaponry. To put it in perspective the starting gun has a power rating of 120 (odd), and my magnum at the moment has 2300(600). Makes going back and doing the new game+ much more appealing :D

Noticeably different to the other games however, it did have a much more "battle" based feel to it.

AND.....I would also like to note one of the only flaws I found. Although Sheva has very good AI for a character, I honestly believe it would not be hard to programme her so she does not unload hundreds of valuable bullets into the back of my head whilst trying to hit zombies -_-
Wed 25/03/09 at 12:05
Regular
"THFC"
Nice review, i got this on 360 and i semi enjoyed the demo, and gave the game a chance, got the limited edition steel book because it looks nice and i am enjoying the game.

I am about 1/2 way through and it is the first Resident Evil i have played. I know it is different to the older ones and i watched all the older ones be played and completed.

But anyway, a good game and hopefully i will see it through until the end as the story seems pretty good, with some flashbacks and other twists that will keep me interested hopefully.
Wed 25/03/09 at 08:46
"possibly impossible"
Good review, makes me think about giving the game a second chance actually.

And well done on the GAD!

Don't forget that the game which started it all was Alone In The Dark though!
Tue 24/03/09 at 12:45
Regular
1996 saw the release of a revolutionary title that would spur the onset of a new gaming genre altogether – Capcom’s Resident Evil, opening to wide critical acclaim, made the survival horror genre a mainstay and wide favourite among gamers. Since its origins, however, it has evolved considerably, particularly with the fourth installment released in 2004, in which the gameplay engine was largely overhauled, rectifying many complaints from gamers, allowing a more streamlined (and decidedly less frustrating) gaming experience.

March sees the release of the much-hyped Resident Evil 5. Building on the engine of the fourth game, 5 pushes the bar further, allowing co-operative play throughout the entire game, even extending this to online play. Thus, it is certain to say that the series of noble origins has evolved into a gloriously lavish production.

And although most will be happy with the changes made in the last two Resident Evil games, purists may find the move away from horror elements somewhat jarring, as Resident Evil 5 is through and through an action game above all else. Gone are the frustrating puzzles and hours without a save point – yes, Resident Evil 5 is certainly the easiest of the bunch, but it is the most fun and least frustrating, even if it is a touch too easy.

Resident Evil 5 begins with series regular Chris Redfield in Africa, accompanied by female sidekick Sheva, as they investigate Las Plagas infections in the area. Unfortunately, what they would encounter is more terrifying than they would expect – the parasitic infection of Resident Evil 4 has evolved into a Type 2 intonation, making enemies even more fierce, and furthermore, there are even some vicious, bullet-fodder Type 3 baddies occasionally out to get you, as well as some ferocious and inventive bosses.

So yes, difficulty aside, Resident Evil 5 is as well-constructed a game as any RE fan could ask for. For those who dispised babysitting Ashley for most of Resident Evil 4, you’ll be relieved that the system AI for Sheva is mostly competent – she will occasionally become stuck in objects, and her voice over work is certainly irritating, but if kitted out correctly, she is a valuable asset to your outfit. Naturally, however, the heart of the game comes with playing co-operative with either a friend locally or online – it renders the game even easier than with an AI component, but it is unmeasurably fun, and certainly less irritating (unless you get a player attempting simply to sabotage your game).

Visually, RE5 is a stunning package – it may simply be a refinement of RE4, sure, but everything from the particle effects to the voluminous gore floating around the screen are a joy to observe. The wonderfully realised, grotesque bosses are beautifully rendered, and make the experience not exactly terrifying (thanks to the difficulty), but certainly intense. The presentation of the cut scenes in particular are stellar, accompanied by a superb heart-pounding soundtrack. In fact, the only fault on the presentation side is that Sheva’s voice-over is repetitive and therefore highly irritating.

Although RE5 is little challenging, there are a few touches to ensure your attention never falters – as previously, the much-complained about fact that you cannot shoot and move at the same time remains, and Capcom have now made the inventory system real-time, meaning that you have to be more on your toes than ever before. These changes, however, simply take a little getting used to, and after an hour or so, you’ll never wish for anything different.

It is difficult to say how hardcore fans will respond to the changes made in RE5 – it is a mostly easy game, but to this effect it is highly accessible for non-fans or for those who find disdain in some of the series’ more cumbersome elements (such as a lack of saving, which is wholly rectified here). As an action game, it is certainly one of the best entries onto a console in a long time – with an exciting array of weaponry and stunning set pieces, this is a great entry into the series, although it will to an extent divide gamers.

9/10

Thanks for reading,
Reefer

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.