GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forget about the left-sided problems..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/06/03 at 11:09
Regular
When we think of England's problems, and why they under-perform, we always seem to turn, instantly, to the left-side of midfield, and how we haven't had a decent and consistant 'natural' left-footer playing well down there in years. Even if David James is in-goal, that's always the place we seem to look to.

And, looking at last night's performance, you can see that our left-sided problems STILL aren't over - not with Frank Lampard playing there, anyway!
He is, naturally, a central midfielder, and therefore we saw him cutting-inside from that left-hand-side, to join-up with Paul Scholes, and Gerrard on the right - who seemed to be doing the exact-same-thing.

The problem with that is that we have no width in our midfield.
And with this problem, our full-backs (Mills and Ashley Cole) were forced to come forward and support the attack up by their 18-yard box.
And then look at what happened - thanks to Eriksson's "tactical genius"...

We got caught-short at the back, and suddenly found 3-or-4 Slovaks on the counter-attack, with only Upson and Southgate to stop them from (inevitabley!) beating David James.
They could've EASILY had 4-goals in this first-half, all thanks to this!
But - luckily for that Swedish egg-head - they coughed-up on all-but-one of those many great-chances!

But that one-goal was enough to see them ahead at half-time...

And while Nemeth and others were letting-us-off at one-end, we weren't all that-much-better at the other-end - even with "Golden-Boy" Michael Owen "Burger King's" Wayne Rooney!
Vassel did come-on to have a good impact, but it still wasn't enough.
Hargreaves did the same on the right, but again, they just couldn't finish!

Which leads me to the conclusion that England are seriously struggling for new-blood in the attack department.

Ever since Alan Shearer announced his retirement from the international game, we've been struggling to find the back-of-the-net consistantly through anyone other than our "National Hero", David Beckham!
Liverpool fans can rant all they like about how "great" they believe Michael Owen really is. But the fact is that, at international level, he just isn't "doing-it" like he used to.
And as for Wayne Rooney, he's just some over-hyped beefcake who's way-too-young to be put through so much pressue at such a crucial stage in his career.

They may've been the 2 that started last night... But, aside from them, we don't really appear to have anyone other than "Donkey-Boy" Heskey, or "Super-Sub" Vassel.

But no matter which pairing plays-together, they never seem to 'gel' as well as the likes of Shearer and Sheringham have done in the past.
That's what "the great" Eriksson needs to do NOW - find the right partnership. He should stop giving into all the hype and media rubbish by playing Rooney and Owen, and choose 2 players who DESERVE to be wearing numbers 9 and 10, and not just these "fans favourites"

Perhaps Paul Scholes could try playing of of Owen, Heskey, or even Alan Smith - where the heck is he after that superb England debut?!?
The "supporting" role has worked-wonders for Man United this season, and I bet the same could happen with England. ...If only we had our very-own "Ruud van Nistelrooy"....

Alan Smith definitley deserves to be back in the squad, if you ask me!
People still refer to him as "young", but he's shown us at Leeds, during the last-2-years alone that he's quite the "natural" when it comes to scroing-goals. And that's just what we need! If only he had a little more experience... Something he will only get by PLAYING more-games (*COUGH, COUGH*, Eriksson!!)

Why Emile Heskey has never been able to reproduce his form from his Leicester City days, though, I do not now...
Back at Filbert Street, he showed us he could score goals. And he also had the strength, power and pace to beat ANY world-class centre-back!
But since his move to Liverpool, things seem to have gone badly....
He's never really been "great" at Anfield, and I can only blame Gerard Houllier for, perhaps, ruining the confidence of a player who once possessed so-much potential.

I've said it before, and I still believe a move away from Anfield could really benefit old "Bruno".
I'd hate to see him end his international career with 'nothing'.

England need a "new Alan Shearer" more-so than a left-sided midfielder.
Just look at our squad today - filled with the likes of Joe Cole, Jermaine Jenas, Trevor Sinclair, Owen Hargreaves, and others! All of which have at least played one-game on that left-hand-side, and done very-well.
All the answers are there!! He just needs to find the right-one.

But when it comes to strikers, only a small-percentage of England's squad consists of them. Owen, Heskey, Rooney, Vassell... Always the same names.
When are we going to see some new-faces bought-in???

If you ask me, Eriksson is overly-obssessed with midfield-talent!
But if David James starts in the final-game against Turkey....!! :@
Just like Alan Mullery recently said: "For a player of 6'6" in height, David James still makes far-too-many mistakes to even be considered as one of the Premiership's [or England's] best!"

And he may be old, but it's true!
Why, I'd have even been happier seeing David Seaman in-goal, last night!!
But we all know Paul Robinson is the future!
Fri 13/06/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Yet sven won't watch Thompson- probably scared of Scottish drunks. In fact, a popular T-shirt in Scotland states that David Seaman, Chris Waddle and Stuart Pearce (for their errors) are Scotland's footballing heroes!
Thu 12/06/03 at 17:26
Regular
"we escape....."
Yeah that is a very good point where the hell is garreth barry, plus alan thompson's been great this season. They deserve a look in.
Thu 12/06/03 at 17:19
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
If England need a left-winger, they should consider Barry or Alan Thompson. They are both experienced in the role (Thompson especially), and are both very reliable neither having been badly injured as late. Oh yeah, they're both very skilled.
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
The solution to our left sided problem is obvious.
GARETH BARRY
Had a good game in the U21's and deserves a game at the top level. And if Sven is anti-baryy, then why don't we push ashley cole up to left wing and have Wayne Bridge supporting him?
the runs ashley made yesterday, you can see it is the logical answer.

As for the goalkeepr situation, why not play our young keepers like robinson? James is awful, seaman will be retiring so why not robinson, or even Kierkland when he recovers from injury?

Another thing we should do is keep rooney on the bench. The star of last night was owen AND vassell. They obviously work so well together, as proven in the second half. Lampard had a good game, shame about the disallowed goal, and i would like to see him in future games.
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:19
Regular
"None Stored"
i want to know what the hell sven was doing playing southgate in defence, he's too slow and crap, should have played john terry, he's a world class
defender.
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yep i totally agree our 'attack' if you can even call it that is very poor at the moment. Sure Owen scored twice last night but he had about 6 good chances and could only put 1 in open play away and even then that was from 6 yards out and me gran could have scored it. He's still living off 'that' goal in 98 against the Argies
As for Rooney he's more over-hyped than Beckham in my opinion and that's going some. The new Pele? please, if he was dead he'd be turning in his grave hearing that. Rooney doesn't possess even a tiny bit of talent that Pele had. Sure he's scored a couple of good goals but he's not the 2nd coming for God sake as shown last night when he could have easily turned and had a first time shot but instead elected to knock it straight back to a Slovak Defender.

But where are the options? Vassell was one of the few players to come out of this game with any credit for me as when he came on our attack seemed to get a whole new lease of life and the Slovaks started to panic. I think he should start the next game. Look at his scoring ratio so far what is it? 8 games and 5 goals or something like that and most of those were from the subs bench. Where's the harm in giving him a run-out in our next friendly.

As for the clumsy donkey known as Emile he doesn't deserve to wear a England shirt or even be in the same room as one and if there was one reason i would make a fuss out of the captains armband debacle that happened the other week it's that this muppet was actually the captain of England, supposedly our best player for a few minutes. He couldn't hit the floor at the moment (well not unless he's throwing his big self to it after being looked at by the defender) and doesn't deserve a place in the squad. People say 'oooh he's big, he can hold the ball up and then pass it off to someone for a shot' sorry but Shaq does that for the LA Lakers in the basketball equivalent (sorry for even comparing him to you Big Diesel no disrespect meant) i don't know what Heskey does to have earned him that description or what player the 'experts' seem to be watching but whenever i watch Heskey he's always on the deck, not holding the ball up with his strength. Replace him with Alan Smith who had a great debut but obviously scoring goals is not the first thing Sven looks for in an attacker.

As for the Left sided problem, i'm not sure whether Kieran Richardson is english or not but for the future he looks like our best bet in that position.
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:11
Regular
"we escape....."
oh common Glenn Hoddle and Keegan were crap. at least we've regained some level of expectancy now. But our tactics are crap i can't see why we can't try out a 3-5-2 with wingbacks against crappy teams like Lichenstein, we're hardly going to lose. I mean if we adopt a more attacking formation then we'll be more exciting. I think the team we shud play shud be summink like:

Seaman (he still the best keeper) if not Paul Robinson or possibly David James then...
Gary Neville RWB
Sol, Rio, Ehihogu (or Terry) Centre Backs
Ashley Cole LWB
Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard Midfield
and Owen upfront with Vassell or Rooney.

I think if we tried this out against weak teams like macedonia we'd kick ass.
Thu 12/06/03 at 11:35
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that people are FINALLY starting to face-facts over Sven-Goran Eriksson - he's not as-great as they all seem to think he is!

When he first arrived, we were playing "better", just because a player of his stature and reputations was in-charge.
But since then, we've soon gotten used to his ways, and now he's merely no-greater than Glenn Hoddle or even Kevin Keegan have been in recent years.

...That and the heads of Michael Owen and, especially, David Beckham have gotten even-bigger!

But, no matter what may be the right thing to do, I do not see how the English FA would ever consider sacking Eriksson; admitting it was a bad-move, after some of the many bad-descisions they've been making within the last-3-years.
Thu 12/06/03 at 11:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Blondes remind Sven of Ulrika.

I think Sven has, and is continuing to make many questionable decisions. I think Smith is a very good partner for Owen. He could do with being a little taller, but he has the facets of the game that Owen doesn’t. he’s a scrapper who works damn hard, I would like to see him move to Liverpool.
Thu 12/06/03 at 11:09
Regular
"Long time no see!"
When we think of England's problems, and why they under-perform, we always seem to turn, instantly, to the left-side of midfield, and how we haven't had a decent and consistant 'natural' left-footer playing well down there in years. Even if David James is in-goal, that's always the place we seem to look to.

And, looking at last night's performance, you can see that our left-sided problems STILL aren't over - not with Frank Lampard playing there, anyway!
He is, naturally, a central midfielder, and therefore we saw him cutting-inside from that left-hand-side, to join-up with Paul Scholes, and Gerrard on the right - who seemed to be doing the exact-same-thing.

The problem with that is that we have no width in our midfield.
And with this problem, our full-backs (Mills and Ashley Cole) were forced to come forward and support the attack up by their 18-yard box.
And then look at what happened - thanks to Eriksson's "tactical genius"...

We got caught-short at the back, and suddenly found 3-or-4 Slovaks on the counter-attack, with only Upson and Southgate to stop them from (inevitabley!) beating David James.
They could've EASILY had 4-goals in this first-half, all thanks to this!
But - luckily for that Swedish egg-head - they coughed-up on all-but-one of those many great-chances!

But that one-goal was enough to see them ahead at half-time...

And while Nemeth and others were letting-us-off at one-end, we weren't all that-much-better at the other-end - even with "Golden-Boy" Michael Owen "Burger King's" Wayne Rooney!
Vassel did come-on to have a good impact, but it still wasn't enough.
Hargreaves did the same on the right, but again, they just couldn't finish!

Which leads me to the conclusion that England are seriously struggling for new-blood in the attack department.

Ever since Alan Shearer announced his retirement from the international game, we've been struggling to find the back-of-the-net consistantly through anyone other than our "National Hero", David Beckham!
Liverpool fans can rant all they like about how "great" they believe Michael Owen really is. But the fact is that, at international level, he just isn't "doing-it" like he used to.
And as for Wayne Rooney, he's just some over-hyped beefcake who's way-too-young to be put through so much pressue at such a crucial stage in his career.

They may've been the 2 that started last night... But, aside from them, we don't really appear to have anyone other than "Donkey-Boy" Heskey, or "Super-Sub" Vassel.

But no matter which pairing plays-together, they never seem to 'gel' as well as the likes of Shearer and Sheringham have done in the past.
That's what "the great" Eriksson needs to do NOW - find the right partnership. He should stop giving into all the hype and media rubbish by playing Rooney and Owen, and choose 2 players who DESERVE to be wearing numbers 9 and 10, and not just these "fans favourites"

Perhaps Paul Scholes could try playing of of Owen, Heskey, or even Alan Smith - where the heck is he after that superb England debut?!?
The "supporting" role has worked-wonders for Man United this season, and I bet the same could happen with England. ...If only we had our very-own "Ruud van Nistelrooy"....

Alan Smith definitley deserves to be back in the squad, if you ask me!
People still refer to him as "young", but he's shown us at Leeds, during the last-2-years alone that he's quite the "natural" when it comes to scroing-goals. And that's just what we need! If only he had a little more experience... Something he will only get by PLAYING more-games (*COUGH, COUGH*, Eriksson!!)

Why Emile Heskey has never been able to reproduce his form from his Leicester City days, though, I do not now...
Back at Filbert Street, he showed us he could score goals. And he also had the strength, power and pace to beat ANY world-class centre-back!
But since his move to Liverpool, things seem to have gone badly....
He's never really been "great" at Anfield, and I can only blame Gerard Houllier for, perhaps, ruining the confidence of a player who once possessed so-much potential.

I've said it before, and I still believe a move away from Anfield could really benefit old "Bruno".
I'd hate to see him end his international career with 'nothing'.

England need a "new Alan Shearer" more-so than a left-sided midfielder.
Just look at our squad today - filled with the likes of Joe Cole, Jermaine Jenas, Trevor Sinclair, Owen Hargreaves, and others! All of which have at least played one-game on that left-hand-side, and done very-well.
All the answers are there!! He just needs to find the right-one.

But when it comes to strikers, only a small-percentage of England's squad consists of them. Owen, Heskey, Rooney, Vassell... Always the same names.
When are we going to see some new-faces bought-in???

If you ask me, Eriksson is overly-obssessed with midfield-talent!
But if David James starts in the final-game against Turkey....!! :@
Just like Alan Mullery recently said: "For a player of 6'6" in height, David James still makes far-too-many mistakes to even be considered as one of the Premiership's [or England's] best!"

And he may be old, but it's true!
Why, I'd have even been happier seeing David Seaman in-goal, last night!!
But we all know Paul Robinson is the future!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.