GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox, will it replace PC`s?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/01 at 18:38
Regular
With the oncoming arrival of the XBOX, alot of people are asking will this be the end for the PC in gaming terms? are PC going to go back to what they were when they first started as a workplace tool and home office.
Granted this is what alot of people including myself use a PC for, but i also use my PC for games, and in my view the best games you can get.
The pluses of the XBOX, i think will be more games to be ported form and to PC`s, thats a plus, mor games = more enjoyment.....but the downside could be more games out for both formats but of a less quality and the danger of the market being flooded with console type games, either racing games or platform games.
Another plus is there will be a big fat spotlight over the launch of the XBOX and also the pc gaming area, and if PC and XBOX owners can play multiplayer together, then that would enhance the online gaming community.
Downsides, the fact that computer software makers/publishers will tend to make games for the XBOX rather than the PC instead of for both, basically for a better profit margin, something us PC owners have had of late with games such as OBI-WAN being axed.
Another downside i think to the XBOX is future upgrades to it, PC`s are machine that can be constantly upgraded, although it is tedious and expensive but you get to keep up to play the latest games, the XBOX comes with one spec, eventually games makers will get the best out of the machine and thats it.....they can`t improve anymore, unless Microsoft bring on upgrades for it, and if you think of the XBOX and a mini PC and you`ll be able to upgrade it as you like then i think that would be excellent and you never know us joe public might be able to save money if that were to happen.
So will the XBOX replace PC`s?
I hope not, i hope that it will complement the PC and make both the XBOX and PC gaming community together to dominate the market.
Thu 08/02/01 at 18:38
With the oncoming arrival of the XBOX, alot of people are asking will this be the end for the PC in gaming terms? are PC going to go back to what they were when they first started as a workplace tool and home office.
Granted this is what alot of people including myself use a PC for, but i also use my PC for games, and in my view the best games you can get.
The pluses of the XBOX, i think will be more games to be ported form and to PC`s, thats a plus, mor games = more enjoyment.....but the downside could be more games out for both formats but of a less quality and the danger of the market being flooded with console type games, either racing games or platform games.
Another plus is there will be a big fat spotlight over the launch of the XBOX and also the pc gaming area, and if PC and XBOX owners can play multiplayer together, then that would enhance the online gaming community.
Downsides, the fact that computer software makers/publishers will tend to make games for the XBOX rather than the PC instead of for both, basically for a better profit margin, something us PC owners have had of late with games such as OBI-WAN being axed.
Another downside i think to the XBOX is future upgrades to it, PC`s are machine that can be constantly upgraded, although it is tedious and expensive but you get to keep up to play the latest games, the XBOX comes with one spec, eventually games makers will get the best out of the machine and thats it.....they can`t improve anymore, unless Microsoft bring on upgrades for it, and if you think of the XBOX and a mini PC and you`ll be able to upgrade it as you like then i think that would be excellent and you never know us joe public might be able to save money if that were to happen.
So will the XBOX replace PC`s?
I hope not, i hope that it will complement the PC and make both the XBOX and PC gaming community together to dominate the market.
Mon 12/02/01 at 20:31
Regular
I would be very surprised if the X-Box was able to replace the PC in the near future, mainly because so many games are currently being released on the PC. I don't see why it is so bad if it does, because consoles are a lot cheaper than PCs, and although they can't be upgraded, seeing as you can buy 3-4 consoles for the price of a cheap PC, it doesn't really matter.

Eventually, I think it is likely that will will be using some sort of cross between the PC and a console, which allows immediate playing of games without an operating system or installation times, but also allows multi-tasking and word-processing and so on, which means that for simple tasks which currently need a PC, a console will do.

With the advent of modems, hard drives, and possibly more on the playstation 2, dreamcast and X-Box it seems as if this is beginning, and the X-Box will (hopefully) begin to close the gap between PCs and consoles!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.