GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Older Drivers (another moan)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/03/09 at 15:55
"possibly impossible"
So on my way to see my mum for mother's day we hit traffic. It wasn't the usual accident or tractor holding up the traffic, but a car.

That car, we found as we got nearer, was driven by an old man who was peering out of the window in a manner suggesting that he could just about see the bonnet and no further. This probably explains why he was driving at 30mph in a 60mph zone with a clear view ahead and taking corners at about half that speed.

It really worries me that there are people like this driving on the road. I know someone who was told that they need cataracts but continue driving. It's madness when surely the best idea is to give them free transport on busses and a taxi allowance if needed. It would save lives. Well, ok, it would save my sanity at least.

Anyway, it got me thinking that it would be a good idea to introduce a short driving re-test for anyone over 50 and every 5 years after this. It wouldn't be long or complicated, but would take the form of 3 simple checks:

1. Eyesight
Can either be done at the opticians and you get given a form to say you are clear, or there could be an optician brought in for the tests. Since there are so many people driving without being able to see they would get a choice of having glasses and a check to see if they’re wearing them or giving up driving if they’re eyesight is too bad.

2.Reactions
Obviously, as you get older you’re going to lose some reaction time, but you’ll need to show you have good enough reactions to stop in an emergency. This can be done on a simulation, so no driving with an instructor or examiner would be required.

3.Highway Code
People sitting the test would be tested on simple road signs and basic knowledge of roads. Not a full theory test, but a selection of basics and any updates to the highway code in the last 30 years. This would ensure that they were up-to-date and would catch anyone who got a licence without a test back in the day if they refuse to learn the current code.

Anyone who gets a certain failure rate (under 80% perhaps?) would need to either get some help where they can to resit or have their licence taken away. During this time they would be given a free bus pass and some taxi allowance depending on financial situation. I know this would mean more tax payers money, but isn’t that better than lives?

So what does everyone think to this idea? Useful, or does everyone think that older people should be left to their own devices?
Mon 23/03/09 at 15:55
"possibly impossible"
So on my way to see my mum for mother's day we hit traffic. It wasn't the usual accident or tractor holding up the traffic, but a car.

That car, we found as we got nearer, was driven by an old man who was peering out of the window in a manner suggesting that he could just about see the bonnet and no further. This probably explains why he was driving at 30mph in a 60mph zone with a clear view ahead and taking corners at about half that speed.

It really worries me that there are people like this driving on the road. I know someone who was told that they need cataracts but continue driving. It's madness when surely the best idea is to give them free transport on busses and a taxi allowance if needed. It would save lives. Well, ok, it would save my sanity at least.

Anyway, it got me thinking that it would be a good idea to introduce a short driving re-test for anyone over 50 and every 5 years after this. It wouldn't be long or complicated, but would take the form of 3 simple checks:

1. Eyesight
Can either be done at the opticians and you get given a form to say you are clear, or there could be an optician brought in for the tests. Since there are so many people driving without being able to see they would get a choice of having glasses and a check to see if they’re wearing them or giving up driving if they’re eyesight is too bad.

2.Reactions
Obviously, as you get older you’re going to lose some reaction time, but you’ll need to show you have good enough reactions to stop in an emergency. This can be done on a simulation, so no driving with an instructor or examiner would be required.

3.Highway Code
People sitting the test would be tested on simple road signs and basic knowledge of roads. Not a full theory test, but a selection of basics and any updates to the highway code in the last 30 years. This would ensure that they were up-to-date and would catch anyone who got a licence without a test back in the day if they refuse to learn the current code.

Anyone who gets a certain failure rate (under 80% perhaps?) would need to either get some help where they can to resit or have their licence taken away. During this time they would be given a free bus pass and some taxi allowance depending on financial situation. I know this would mean more tax payers money, but isn’t that better than lives?

So what does everyone think to this idea? Useful, or does everyone think that older people should be left to their own devices?
Mon 23/03/09 at 19:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I know it may seem an odd comment pb, but your three checks would apply equally well to people under 50, judging by the antics I see on a daily basis :-)
Tue 24/03/09 at 09:02
"possibly impossible"
This is true, but I think it's easier to enforce for a certain age group.

I've seen lots of younger drivers too who need a refresh, but a lot of the really old drivers passed when there were no tests at all and haven't got a clue about driving within the law.
Tue 24/03/09 at 09:06
Regular
Thing is, it's so easy not to tell the DVLA that you're medically blind and carry on driving.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.