GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"armageddon vs deep impact"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/01 at 19:02
Regular
hey guys, i was watching armageddon not so long ago and deep impact the ova nite! i was just wondering what u lot thought was the better film. i personally thought they were both quite good, i prefered armaggedon, coz it was better through out the whoile film, whilst deep impact was only very good in the second half! the fact that these films were about saving the world only occured in armageddon, it was also visable that the budget was so much higher in armageedon because u get the whole moon scenes in it, but in deep impact ya hardly see then on the comet! oh well. Also which film has the best way of survival, obviuosly if armageddons version 100% compltely worked it wud b better, but if not wud hifding underground 4 2 years b any good? it would sure as hel be mscry but jusr rember, its happening in our world and it cud be closer dan u think, cya all later [email protected]!
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:02
Regular
"Back in black"
hey guys, i was watching armageddon not so long ago and deep impact the ova nite! i was just wondering what u lot thought was the better film. i personally thought they were both quite good, i prefered armaggedon, coz it was better through out the whoile film, whilst deep impact was only very good in the second half! the fact that these films were about saving the world only occured in armageddon, it was also visable that the budget was so much higher in armageedon because u get the whole moon scenes in it, but in deep impact ya hardly see then on the comet! oh well. Also which film has the best way of survival, obviuosly if armageddons version 100% compltely worked it wud b better, but if not wud hifding underground 4 2 years b any good? it would sure as hel be mscry but jusr rember, its happening in our world and it cud be closer dan u think, cya all later [email protected]!
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:25
"possibly impossible"
First point, please could you use paragraphs, I don't mean to complain, but it would mean that I could read your interesting post without getting a headache! :-)

TO answer your question, I agree that Armaggeddon is the better film between that and Deep Impact. THe main problem with DI was that it was long, but needed to be longer as it took ages to introduce the characters, then finished just as it was getting exciting! Full marks for having interesting and deep charactisations, but I felt a bit let down by the end of the story.

Armageddon, on the other hand, had good, but shallow, characters which worked well as it was an action film at heart. The comedy helped to move the story along and make the more dramatic parts seem more powerful. Both films had a strong cast and good story, but Armageddon pips Deep Impact at the post in terms of the full film experience. Besides, the explosions are fantastic with a good sound system.
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:31
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
The relationship between these two films can be compared to the likeness between Antz and A Bug's Life. Deep Impact (Antz) came along first and people thought 'hey, this isn't a bad film at all'. Then along comes Armageddon (A Bug's Life) and shows up the other film as the pile of tripe it really was.

It's as if the first film released was a trailer for the second and the latter film showed us how it really should be done.

There are some inaccuracies between the two films as well. The intro to Armageddon says the 6 mile wide asteroid that (allegedly) wiped out the dinosaurs caused a blanket of ash that the sun could not penetrate for 1000 years - i.e. no more plants etc. If I remember correctly the one in Deep Impact is about this size, so how is a mere 2 years underground going to help? They have enough supplies for this time but you can't grow anything there so what are they going to do when thy come out?

In my opinion Armageddon is one of the best action film ever to be made. It has all the elements you need for such a film in abundance - constant (and I mean constant) edge-of-your-seat excitement, loads of things going wrong all the time, some slightly unrealistic moments to add extra effect to the excapism, lots of humour, a more than decent enough story to warrant the events happening and great special effects. Come on, Paris get smashed to bits! What more do you want from a film?

I should point out my hatred towards the French comes from this last weekend when I visited a friend in Brighton and we decided to pop across the channel for a day to Calais. While we were there someone smashed my friends car window shortly after we got out and ran off shouting some unprintable abuse about the English. When we got back to Dover we were told that one or two cars a day are coming back from Calais with windows missing.

The rest of France is apparently OK, so go there if you must - don't stop in Calais.

Sorry for veering off the subject a little - just had to get that off my chest.
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:36
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
pb wrote:
> Armageddon pips Deep Impact at the post in terms
> of the full film experience.

I wrote my post before reading this.

Armageddon = Faultless.

Deep Impact = Pointless.

Do not underestimate how much I love one of the above films.

I will continue blindly and stubbornly defending this opinion until this thread breaks the world record set on the other forum if necessary.
Wed 07/02/01 at 20:58
Regular
"Back in black"
good to see a few replies, and i agree wit the both of yas, its is like the antz and bugs life thing, wel come ya ideas coming in!
Thu 08/02/01 at 08:03
Regular
"not dead"
When I saw Deep Impact I thought that it was a film that had a rather nasty experience with a scissor crazy editor!

There are so many good ideas in it, but they just aren't allowed to develop, so it's just left as a mess.
Thu 08/02/01 at 12:56
"Darkness, always"
There are some
> inaccuracies between the two films as well. The intro to Armageddon
> says the 6 mile wide asteroid that (allegedly) wiped out the
> dinosaurs caused a blanket of ash that the sun could not penetrate
> for 1000 years - i.e. no more plants etc. If I remember correctly
> the one in Deep Impact is about this size, so how is a mere 2 years
> underground going to help? They have enough supplies for this time
> but you can't grow anything there so what are they going to do when
> thy come out?

The inaccuracy lies with Armageddon there. If the sun was blocked out for a thousand years, nothing would have survived except a few chioce insects and diseases. No mammals would have survived, and hence we would not exist.

-IB

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.