GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Out Of Date!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/01 at 18:39
Regular
If you buy a new computer nowdays it goes out of date in a few months. PC's R now way past 1ghz and when R D's upgrades gonna slow down? New PC games R now gettin better graphics and faster speeds, requiring faster processors and graphics cards.
My advice is if U R gettin a new CPU, get the fastest one out otherwise it will be out of date before U know it!
Is this a massiv step in technology or are the CPU companies encouraging U 2 buy upgrades all D time?
Most of the games dat I buy now R 2 fast 4 my CPU.
Wed 07/02/01 at 18:39
If you buy a new computer nowdays it goes out of date in a few months. PC's R now way past 1ghz and when R D's upgrades gonna slow down? New PC games R now gettin better graphics and faster speeds, requiring faster processors and graphics cards.
My advice is if U R gettin a new CPU, get the fastest one out otherwise it will be out of date before U know it!
Is this a massiv step in technology or are the CPU companies encouraging U 2 buy upgrades all D time?
Most of the games dat I buy now R 2 fast 4 my CPU.
Wed 07/02/01 at 18:54
"possibly impossible"
Actually, I don't think updating PCs are as bad as the situation once was. I seem to remember a new standard every few months in the dim and distant past, having to upgrade from 4mb to 8mb to 16mb in 6 months just to accomodate new software (ok then, new games!) Then having to upgade to high density floppy discs, only to see everything start coming out on CD!

Those were the days when we were amazed at how many discs worth of data could fit onto a single, shiny disc. So what did the games companies use them for? Interactive movies with dodgy graphics and terrible looking FMV.

Oops! Reminising again, must stop doing that on the 'future' of gaming forum!

Wed 07/02/01 at 19:00
Regular
Here's something to think about.

If you look at FMV from two years back... and even from last year, you would be amazed at the quality, and the detail...

But as we saw with the X-Box and Gamecube demos, they are now equalling the FMV with real time graphics!

So what should we expect for the future? Do you think as the graphics get better and better, FMV will get wiped out completly?

Here's hoping. :D
Thu 08/02/01 at 01:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
With regards so FMV dying out, I think it's the other way around. We could be seeing a future of fully interactive FMV games instead of graphics, because FMV is getting quicker and quicker to program as new modules are added into the existing program packages.

With regards to upgrades, the situation currently seems to have stabilised. A decent system today would be around 500-750 MHz, 128Mb RAM, 20-40 Gb floppy, 32Mb Video, DVD-CD ROM and two or three spare USB ports.

The industry has been reporting that although the technology is there to carry on increasing processor speeds indefinately, up to but not quite light speed in the far future, a decent system today should last a good 5-7 years, because most software developers for the home user have had enough, and therefore the home user should not need to upgrade, this goes for games software too. Except maybe Microsoft, who seem determined to explode your computer with every new OS release.
Thu 08/02/01 at 09:50
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Whoa! what groundbreaking theorys!
If FM is right, in 5 years we'll all be playing fully interactive FMV clips, whilst if Grix is right, we'll be playing fully interactive games that look exactly like FMV clips!
Thu 08/02/01 at 10:32
"Darkness, always"
I don't think that many of todays PCs will become obsolete too quickly.

Office PCs for a start are as fast now as they will need to be for about 20 years to come.

Operating System software, until the last 7-8 years has always been the reason why you had to upgrade your PC. Get the latest RAM cards so that you can actually run windows etc.

Today all the progress made is completely irrelevant as far as the OS is concerned, as anything Pentium 2 upwards can run windows x with satisfactory speed.

So what's left? Games. And how much faster do you think PCs will need to become to accomodate thee games?

I am confident that my PC will be able to handle any and every game released over the next 4-5 years. 866Mhz worth of processing speed is far more than any number crunching game requires, and with 192MB Ram a 64MB int graphics card plus a Geforce2 bumping the power to insane proportions, games would have to become ridiculously powerful to beat my spec. And since everyone seems quite happy for the next 6 months at least to buils games on engines that already exist, I do not think there is a danger. Games can only look so good.

-IB

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.