GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is The N64 Dying Out?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/01 at 14:09
Regular
I'm a newbie on here and have been mulling over a question in my mind for quite a long time. Then I stumbled across this site and I have decided to put the question to some intelligent gamers.So, here it is.

With the release of the GameCube growing ever closer I have to pose a question. Is my beloved N64 going to be forgotten?

Unfortunately I have to say that the answer to this question is yes. But why? It's obvious from how little activity the N64 forum gets that the SR users think the N64 is dying out but thats where they are wrong. The N64 is anything BUT dying out. With future releases like Dinosaur Planet (admittidly this may be moved the the GameCube) Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Paper Mario (this has been getting rave reviews across the Atlantic) I would say that the N64 has only just reached it's peak!

Perfect Dark, which is without a doubt the greatest shoot-em-up on any machine ever, has only just been released and has revolutionised the gaming scene on the Ninny. With games like that only JUST being produced, 4 years into the N64s life you have to say that really it has only very recently reached it's full potential, maybe it hasn't even now!

Even with the new consoles coming out the N64 will always be remembered as the console that changed the gaming scene. Or will it? It certainly should be. Before March the 7th 1997 gamers hoping to play new games that had made advances from the great days of the Megadrive and the wonderful SNES could only satisfy themselves with the PlayStation, which was good for it's time but now the gameplay is superfulous to the conquering PS2 and N64. The graphics look blocky and dated compared to the newer consoles. But that hasn't stopped it becoming the most widley played console in the entire world.

The PlayStation got given a 2 year headstart before the N64 was released and look how Sony have profited from it.Now The PS2 has been given a headstart aswell Nintendo are going to have to start pulling out all the stops and make sure that the launch games are all top quality. Someone else on here has said before that Nintendos users are some of the most loyal gamers you will find, but now the PS2 has been released ahead of the GameCube you have to wonder wether any of Nintedos users will jump ship.

Coming back to my original question, I would like to know why people will forget that it's with the help of todays consoles, the N64 and the PSX, that we actually HAVE the PS2 and the upcoming GC and GBA. If we didn't have the N64s astounding playability and graphics capabiltity we certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the production of the GC. If we didn't have the Gameboys trend setting addictiveness the GBA could only exist in developers dreams. The same goes for the PSX. Without we wouldn't have the PS2.

Wether you like it or not the N64 is NOT anywhere near dying out. It's near to being outclassed by newer, updated models but it certainly is not dying.

RBS
Sun 11/02/01 at 15:00
Regular
of course the 64 is dead. i walk into my local games store and they hardly have anything devoted to my console. i hate to admit it but only a few more games are coming out, but at least they should be quality. excitebike,conker, and banjo tooie should be great, and dont forget the unglitched version of no mercy.

Sun 11/02/01 at 12:16
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Did NES die when SNES showed up? Did the same happen to SNES with N64? mega drive for saturn, evrything except, possibly, mastersystem when people couldn't afford mega drive so that there was still a market for the cheaper predecessor.

To see your future, look to your past.
Sat 10/02/01 at 13:26
The N64 is not going to die out for a long time. So mayby it has gone down a bit but the N64 is still the best console ever by a long mile better than any Graystation Poo.
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:26
Regular
"not dead"
Yes it's dying out.

Consoles have to die out soon after they reach the peak because games can't get any better on that platform, and if the games aren't getting any better, no one will buy them.

The Gamecube will probably do exactly the same thing, with 1st generation titles being only superior to N64 games, but not by a long way.

Throughout the life of the console developers will get better and better with it, until they reach a point in which they can get no more from the hardware. Then it will again be time for a new console again.

For an example of this look at the first few releases for the SNES. Compare these to the likes of Donkey Kong Country.
They pushed that hardware as far as they could, then moved onto the N64. The first N64 games were superior to later day SNES games.

It just keeps on going round in a circle.
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'm a newbie on here and have been mulling over a question in my mind for quite a long time. Then I stumbled across this site and I have decided to put the question to some intelligent gamers.So, here it is.

With the release of the GameCube growing ever closer I have to pose a question. Is my beloved N64 going to be forgotten?

Unfortunately I have to say that the answer to this question is yes. But why? It's obvious from how little activity the N64 forum gets that the SR users think the N64 is dying out but thats where they are wrong. The N64 is anything BUT dying out. With future releases like Dinosaur Planet (admittidly this may be moved the the GameCube) Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Paper Mario (this has been getting rave reviews across the Atlantic) I would say that the N64 has only just reached it's peak!

Perfect Dark, which is without a doubt the greatest shoot-em-up on any machine ever, has only just been released and has revolutionised the gaming scene on the Ninny. With games like that only JUST being produced, 4 years into the N64s life you have to say that really it has only very recently reached it's full potential, maybe it hasn't even now!

Even with the new consoles coming out the N64 will always be remembered as the console that changed the gaming scene. Or will it? It certainly should be. Before March the 7th 1997 gamers hoping to play new games that had made advances from the great days of the Megadrive and the wonderful SNES could only satisfy themselves with the PlayStation, which was good for it's time but now the gameplay is superfulous to the conquering PS2 and N64. The graphics look blocky and dated compared to the newer consoles. But that hasn't stopped it becoming the most widley played console in the entire world.

The PlayStation got given a 2 year headstart before the N64 was released and look how Sony have profited from it.Now The PS2 has been given a headstart aswell Nintendo are going to have to start pulling out all the stops and make sure that the launch games are all top quality. Someone else on here has said before that Nintendos users are some of the most loyal gamers you will find, but now the PS2 has been released ahead of the GameCube you have to wonder wether any of Nintedos users will jump ship.

Coming back to my original question, I would like to know why people will forget that it's with the help of todays consoles, the N64 and the PSX, that we actually HAVE the PS2 and the upcoming GC and GBA. If we didn't have the N64s astounding playability and graphics capabiltity we certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the production of the GC. If we didn't have the Gameboys trend setting addictiveness the GBA could only exist in developers dreams. The same goes for the PSX. Without we wouldn't have the PS2.

Wether you like it or not the N64 is NOT anywhere near dying out. It's near to being outclassed by newer, updated models but it certainly is not dying.

RBS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.