GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Keep your 'Future of Gaming'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/01 at 12:32
Regular
I often see comments on this glorious forum wishing to see such developments in gaming that lead to VR headsets, games being played in your heads and having to physically perform certain actions to play the game. Well I'd just like to say 'no thanks'.

I like gaming the way it is.
I like to have to use a controller.
I like to have to play the game on TV.
I like to just sit there whilst I play.
I like having the ability to just stick in a game and play for 10 minutes or so, then stop, and sometimes i like to sit there and play for a few hours.

My point is (well one of them) that if I have to spend 10 minutes putting on a VR headset and strapping on a cybersuit. By the time I've got all that gear on, I might only fancy a quick game of Tetris (or Cyber-Tetris, in which I have to reach out my hands and stack the virtual blocks myself) whilst dinner cooks or something.

Chips implanted in my head so I can play games there? No thanks, I don't want something like that in my head. I might drop a virtual block on my foot during a game of Cyber-Tetris, and think I've broken my foot. How they'd all laugh at me in A&E.

And how about the thought of actually having to move, to move my character? No thanks! It might be fun once in a while to have to run a little, but again, I don't think it would have much appeal after sitting at work all day. Besides, if I want to run around shooting virtual people, I might as well go play Quasar or something. At least I could meet real people there.

So keep your 'future of gaming' I don't want it.

I just want the latest consoles and the latest games.
I want to play them sat comfortably in front of the TV.
I want to know it's not real.
I want to be able to switch off, knowing that it's just a game, a past-time, and as fun as it can be, it doesn't need to take over my life.
Wed 07/02/01 at 12:32
Regular
"not dead"
I often see comments on this glorious forum wishing to see such developments in gaming that lead to VR headsets, games being played in your heads and having to physically perform certain actions to play the game. Well I'd just like to say 'no thanks'.

I like gaming the way it is.
I like to have to use a controller.
I like to have to play the game on TV.
I like to just sit there whilst I play.
I like having the ability to just stick in a game and play for 10 minutes or so, then stop, and sometimes i like to sit there and play for a few hours.

My point is (well one of them) that if I have to spend 10 minutes putting on a VR headset and strapping on a cybersuit. By the time I've got all that gear on, I might only fancy a quick game of Tetris (or Cyber-Tetris, in which I have to reach out my hands and stack the virtual blocks myself) whilst dinner cooks or something.

Chips implanted in my head so I can play games there? No thanks, I don't want something like that in my head. I might drop a virtual block on my foot during a game of Cyber-Tetris, and think I've broken my foot. How they'd all laugh at me in A&E.

And how about the thought of actually having to move, to move my character? No thanks! It might be fun once in a while to have to run a little, but again, I don't think it would have much appeal after sitting at work all day. Besides, if I want to run around shooting virtual people, I might as well go play Quasar or something. At least I could meet real people there.

So keep your 'future of gaming' I don't want it.

I just want the latest consoles and the latest games.
I want to play them sat comfortably in front of the TV.
I want to know it's not real.
I want to be able to switch off, knowing that it's just a game, a past-time, and as fun as it can be, it doesn't need to take over my life.
Wed 07/02/01 at 12:40
"Darkness, always"
I don't think gaming as it is will ever disappear, though new platforms on which to play games are inevitable.

The same thing happened with board games. When Nintendo started releasing the NES, everyone said that board games were a thing of the past, but they are as prominent as ever.

Sitting in front of the TV (or monitor or equivalent) and playing games on a PC/console will always be an option, there will just be more options open to you, depending on what you can afford or get into.

Besides which, despite people going on about VR headsets, have you noticed that no-one is actually seriously deveolping VR hardware or software anymore?

Do you wonder why?

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
You stick with the Radio mucksum... if thats what your after, why change?

Personally, I'm keep onm going and to move onto the TV....

Horses for courses I suppose?

--
Last night, I walked up to this beautiful woman in a bar and
asked her, "Do you live around here often?" She said, "You're wearing two different colored socks." I said, "Yes, but to me they're the same because I go by thickness." Then she asked, "How do you feel?" and I said, "Well, you know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs then you lean too far and you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time."

Wed 07/02/01 at 14:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The latest gadget on the market is the head mounted VDU (looks like a pair of shades, but one of the lenses has a VDU facing your eye). So whilst you walk to work in the Stock Exchange you can view last nights closing prices, whilst you drive to work you can check ahead for road blocks, and whilst you lock-on to a target in your Apache helicopter you can blink to fire off an Air to Air missle and guide it to its target.

The military usually get these gadgets to play with first, then the government, then business, then the gamers, so we may have to wait a while for this one to be developed for us, but I wouldn't mind trying one out. No more need for bulky monitors or using up the TV, you could play a game on your headset and watch the cricket on BBC2 at the same time.

Information overload? Probably. But fun nonetheless. The future of gaming for our children WILL contain these items, and then they'll be posting here about "No thanks, I don't want the chip implant, I like my headset and cybersuit the way it is, thankyou very much"

Then, of course, we'll all be posting in the retro forum with things like "Remember when the DreamCast became the most successful seller of all time and beat the PS2 sales?"
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:29
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
FantasyMeisteŽ wrote:
> The latest gadget on the market is the head mounted VDU
> (looks like a pair of shades, but one of the lenses has a
> VDU facing your eye). So whilst you walk to work in the
> Stock Exchange you can view last nights closing prices,
Thereve been around for a good while now... and are still waay over priced... especialy given the quality of the image

> whilst you drive to work you can check ahead for road
> blocks, and whilst you lock-on to a target in your Apache
> helicopter you can blink to fire off an Air to Air missle
> and guide it to its target.
Didnt the airforce updated thouse a year or so ago?
(I dunno, I'm just asking here :) )

> The military usually get these gadgets to play with
> first, then the government, then business, then the
> gamers, so we may have to wait a while for this one to be
> developed for us,
The only reason the goverment gets to use this kinda thing is generally because its funding their development... theres nothing to help make faster and better PC's than warfare! :)

> but I wouldn't mind trying one out. No
> more need for bulky monitors or using up the TV, you
> could play a game on your headset and watch the cricket
> on BBC2 at the same time.
Wow!... how many things can you do at one time?

> children WILL contain these items, and then they'll be
> posting here about "No thanks, I don't want the chip
> implant, I like my headset and cybersuit the way it is,
> thankyou very much"
I hope its not quite that long!... besides I'm expecying lots of different inferfaces to be in operation... dpeending on the need...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.