GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The nature of the beast"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/01 at 09:50
Regular
The purpose of consoles has always been games. Nobody bought a NES to do their homework on. Nobody bought a Megadrive so they could talk to friends in Outer Mongolia. They bought consoles to play games.

But here come the next generation consoles, with internet access, DVD players, and hard-disks! Now I don't have a problem with throwing a modem in with a console and a browser so that you can do a little web-surfing when it takes your fancy, or play games online, but are all of the other features that we may see in the future really necessary?

With your PS2 it makes sense to allow it to play DVD movies, afterall, the chosen game format is on DVD's, but Sony plans to make it an entertainment unit, so no doubt there will be many more accessories.

A hard-disk on a console?

Is this really a good thing?

So you can save your progress on a game straight to it, saving you buying countless memory cards, but with this and internet access we'll get more bugs in our games, and the developers will just say, "that's okay, you can download these 2 patches to your hard disk, then the game will work fine."

Well I don't want that, I want to be able to stick in by cartridge/disk and play games on a console.

If I want to download stuff, I'll do it on my PC.

If I want to listen to music, I'll use my stereo.

Films? TV and VCR will do just fine for now.

And my console? It's a games machine. It plays games. It does exactly what it says on the tin!
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:50
Regular
"not dead"
The purpose of consoles has always been games. Nobody bought a NES to do their homework on. Nobody bought a Megadrive so they could talk to friends in Outer Mongolia. They bought consoles to play games.

But here come the next generation consoles, with internet access, DVD players, and hard-disks! Now I don't have a problem with throwing a modem in with a console and a browser so that you can do a little web-surfing when it takes your fancy, or play games online, but are all of the other features that we may see in the future really necessary?

With your PS2 it makes sense to allow it to play DVD movies, afterall, the chosen game format is on DVD's, but Sony plans to make it an entertainment unit, so no doubt there will be many more accessories.

A hard-disk on a console?

Is this really a good thing?

So you can save your progress on a game straight to it, saving you buying countless memory cards, but with this and internet access we'll get more bugs in our games, and the developers will just say, "that's okay, you can download these 2 patches to your hard disk, then the game will work fine."

Well I don't want that, I want to be able to stick in by cartridge/disk and play games on a console.

If I want to download stuff, I'll do it on my PC.

If I want to listen to music, I'll use my stereo.

Films? TV and VCR will do just fine for now.

And my console? It's a games machine. It plays games. It does exactly what it says on the tin!
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:54
"Darkness, always"
Need I reiterate my point about consoles becoming PCs here?

It's the way the market is heading.

It is inevitable, it is you're destiny....

IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:03
Regular
"not dead"
Insane Bartender wrote:

>It is inevitable, it is you're destiny....

MD: Noooooooooooooooooooo!

IB: The force is strong in you, but you will turn to the darkside.

MD: Never, my console is for playing games on, it's not a PC, even though it's bundled with a keyboard, has a built in modem and hard-disk, it's not a PC.....
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:06
"Darkness, always"
IB: So, you admit the truth!

MD: I admit the truth that you were once a console, my games machine.

IB: That platform no longer holds any meaning for me.

MD: You won't turn into a PC, I feel the console in you.

IB: You don't know the POWER of the PC, I must convert!!

Erm, yeah...
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:21
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I'd be a hell of a lot happier if I could just download a patch for WWF No Mercy! That game is so good, but THE GLITCH...
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:27
Regular
So... what exactly do you hate about consoles anyway?

And don't say because PC's last longer... because that's rather crap and not exactly the best point.
Wed 07/02/01 at 21:40
Regular
"not dead"
You know I only started this thread for the title.

I was all title and nothing to write until this whole consoles should be PCs debate kicked off....

It's funny how often the title of a thread is superior to the contents within.
Wed 07/02/01 at 21:42
Regular
Patches make the games slightly better and though you can still DL maps!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.