GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola FTP server..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/02/01 at 22:15
Regular
Hello there...

I'm having a small problem with the Freeola FTP server, and am wondering if anyone here can shed any light on it.

I bought myself a domain name from GetDotted.com, and signed up with Freeola so I could actually use it. Anyway, I can dial in to the Freeola number with no problems, can view web pages with no trouble and send and receive e-mails from my Freeola address without any problems at all.

However, I am completely unable to log-in to the FTP server. I've checked all my details/ID/Password, and tried 3 different FTP programs, but I always get a message to the effect of 'Login Failure' or 'Connection closed by remote host'

Am I missing something blindingly obvious here? Or is there some small but vital step I'm missing?

Any help greatly appreciated, as it'd be a shame to have bought the domain name and not be able to use it except for e-mail addresses... :)

Thank you.
Thu 01/03/01 at 00:23
I had a problem similar to this. I could actually connect, but with 'Read Only' access. I called Freeola support (didn't bother with e-mail) and they checked the access rules and there was a problem.

Once the rights had been reset, everything was OK.

Might be worth a try.
Fri 23/02/01 at 22:09
Yes, I made doubly sure I was using the Freeola number. :)

*tries again, same result*

terra, if you come up with a solution can you tell me as well please? Cheers. :)

Wed 21/02/01 at 06:14
Hi, I've got same kind of trouble for these
several days.

I haven't got the domain , so the ftp should be
ok with ftp.freeola.net. The user ID and password
are the same for the control panel.
I checked my entry again and again...but it didn't
work.

I sent emal to the support but I haven't received
reply yet although already 3 day has past.

If anybody knows the solution for this kind of
trouble, it'll be great help for me.

Cheers

Mon 19/02/01 at 16:24
I know it sounds daft, but make sure you are dialing in with the Freeola dial up connection. If you still can't connect, try another FTP site to make sure your client is working (try something like ftp.netscape.com).

I recommend CuteFTP, as it's very simple to use, and you can see the commands and scripts running, without having to bother typing them yourself.

It is very important that you use the Freeola DUN, otherwise you won't be able to connect. Just using the ID and PWD when you hit the server won't do, which is a real pain for those of us with broadband connections who now have to maintain a modem just to upload, but hey, that's life.
Thu 08/02/01 at 00:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
So, your using ftp.sa-matra.com to connect, have you put it in the right place??

What FTP Program are you using By The Way. I've used CuteFTP till the trile ran out, and now use buttelproodFTP. So, mayby it's your program. Also, have you sent an E-mail to Freeola, as they don't seem to reply to this forum much.

Hope that helped a little.
Wed 07/02/01 at 00:36
Ok, to clarify:

The domain name is sa-matra.com

I completed all the 'request hosting' procedures on the control panel a couple of weeks ago, and am correctly showing the 'Domain name e-mail and web space' bit on the control panel as a result. I have set up a single e-mail address for this domain - [email protected] - which works perfectly. The standard Freeola address I chose on signup also works perfectly.

For the FTP, I've tried every variation on the server names I can think of, including the one you mention. Every time it will prompt me for my User ID, which I'll put in, then it will ask for my password, which I'll type in, then it'll say 'Connection closed by remote host' and kick me out.

Yes, I have checked caps lock when typing username/password... :)

Ah well, if it's something non-obvious then maybe I'll have to dig out the contact e-mail addresses...

Cheers,

Tsing

Tue 06/02/01 at 23:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
What is the Domain Name???

You may have the ftp address incorrect. It should look like: ftp.domain.co.uk or ftp.domainname.com (whatever extention type you have).

Also, when you say your E-mail is working do you mean a Freeola address, or one from the Domain Name you've bought? As you will have to enter your Domain Name at the bottom of the control panel, so it can be set up.

Hope that helps, but whats the Domain Name, might be able to help in the future.

Tue 06/02/01 at 22:15
Hello there...

I'm having a small problem with the Freeola FTP server, and am wondering if anyone here can shed any light on it.

I bought myself a domain name from GetDotted.com, and signed up with Freeola so I could actually use it. Anyway, I can dial in to the Freeola number with no problems, can view web pages with no trouble and send and receive e-mails from my Freeola address without any problems at all.

However, I am completely unable to log-in to the FTP server. I've checked all my details/ID/Password, and tried 3 different FTP programs, but I always get a message to the effect of 'Login Failure' or 'Connection closed by remote host'

Am I missing something blindingly obvious here? Or is there some small but vital step I'm missing?

Any help greatly appreciated, as it'd be a shame to have bought the domain name and not be able to use it except for e-mail addresses... :)

Thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.