GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metal Gear Solid (1,2,3,4) Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/03/09 at 22:27
Regular
"Metal.. Gear?!?"
first review of my favorite games this is properly going to fail but here goes:

Metal Gear Solid (ps1, Game cube)

The first metal gear solid was my second metal gear solid game, it had the features to be the best play station 1 game. the story line was great and really sucked you in. Metal Gear Solid: the twins snake however had the graphics and other features that proved to be quality. Snake was always the best with his ninja type dodging moves when he fought the ninja and his deep voice. Metal gear solid boss battles where good and the storyline for a play station one game was amazing. the sneaking game play made metal gear solid what it is today.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (ps2)

This was my first ever metal gear solid game, at first i thought snake went though some major changes only to find out that he wasn't Snake at all and some complete stranger who i never realized was in the game. The tanker episode i enjoyed the most, the weather and the tanker and graphics. Snake getting a cold for being outside too long in the rain made the game realistic. Going though the tanker searching for a new type of metal gear made me realize what it was going to look like as i never saw a metal gear before. as soon as i walked in the hold of the place where metal gear was i was stunned to find a gigantic robot thing. the cut-scenes was amazing seeing the tanker explode and water filling up was awesome. The plant episode confused me a lot. At the start Raiden comes in the plant being called snake which makes the players think how is that. it didn't take me long to realize it was not Snake but someone completely new. at first i didn't really like what was happening but i started to grow attach to the story line. Raiden is properly one of the best characters of the game even though some people still hate him for being a whine and annoying. The Plant chapter was epic the boss battles with vamp, the defusing c4s and sneaking past the guards made the game really worth playing. Don't forget fighting loads of metal gears made me addicted to it's genius boss battles.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (ps2)

I waited about 3 years for this to come out after finishing metal gear solid 1 and 2. i watched the trailers and it was really worth the wait. the camouflage index made the game superb. sneaking around the jungle catching wild animals such as snakes, frogs, rats, birds, fish made a amazing survival experience. also in the game there is a do it cure section which gave you the ability to heal Snake's Wound like a broken leg, cut, or a leach suck. Falling of a tree and breaking your leg so you had to go into menu and heal your leg up was fun, the storyline was breathtaking, Playing as Naked Snake (big boss) made the metal gear solid experience truly astonishing. The boss battles where tense, fighting ocelot in a duel, fighting the pain, the fury, the fear, the end and the sorrow made the game amazing but somehow confusing. the cut scenes where great watching snake's eye get blown off was gruesome but one hell of a cut scene. the love scenes with Eva and the opening music and movie made the game fell like a James bond movie. fighting the shagohod and doing all sorts of things. metal gear solid 3 was one of the best yet.

Metal gear Solid 3: Subsistence (ps2)

Metal gear Solid 3: Subsistence had an improvement to the original metal gear solid 3, with an improved camera angle making the camera follow snake instead of looking at a certain section. Metal gear solid 3 subsistence had another amazing improvement. Metal Gear Online. The online was amazing, there was 4v4 you could be the KGB leaded by Snake, the Ocelot unit followed by the only ocelot. and the gru leaded by sokolov. each leader had their own special moves, Ocelot had the revolver and his gun taunt, sokolov had stealth and snake had his camouflage. this made the online really fun and enjoyable. online was taken down about a year after release. which upset most of the metal gear online community.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the patriots (ps3)

Metal gear solid 4 is the best metal gear solid game ever. you are in the middle east searching for liquid (ocelot) Snake who now is old due to his clone gene. is feeling the pain of being old. as he sets out to do his last mission with the mk2 controlled by otacon. in the middle east Ocelot uses the guns of the patriots which makes soldiers or whoever has nanomachines have a seizure. The graphics in this game where amazing you can see the aging snake in the game with winkles and Grey hair.
The cut scene's in this game were long which some people found very annoying. the camouflage in the game was great with snake's octocamo which changed into the texture and looked like whatever snake was on, so snake wouldn't be found.
in metal gear solid 4 some questions from previous metal gear solid games where answered. Raiden appears in metal gear solid 4 as a exoskeleton cyborg ninja. he has a rivalry with vamp. he helps snake along the way. in metal gear solid 4 you went back to shadow Moses witch where you first played in the first metal gear solid. the ability to drive a metal gear in the game made the game the best so far.
the online in metal gear solid 4 was amazing, you can customize your person and play in different game modes.

Out of all the metal gear solid games the one i have to say is the best out of them all is metal gear solid 2.

thanks for reading
Raimundo :D
Thu 12/03/09 at 15:41
Regular
"Metal.. Gear?!?"
Thu 12/03/09 at 15:15
"possibly impossible"
Yes, well done on the GAD.

Choose wisely! :)
Thu 12/03/09 at 13:12
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Well done on your win!

Well deserved :D

Emmie, pb and myself now have some more competition, so I'm going to have to work harder on my reviews & walkthroughs from now on.
Thu 12/03/09 at 08:32
"possibly impossible"
Yep, good review there. I can see you're a fan of the series.

I loved the idea but found the excecution of the early games annoying (camera angles, movement etc).

Have you played the earlier Metal Gear games (on NES)?
Thu 12/03/09 at 07:28
Regular
"THFC"
Yeah god review Rai - i too love the MGS series and MGS2 was my first one. Thus making it potentially my favourite, but i have played all of them and loved it, such great games (hope they can go to Xbox with any news ones lol)

Anyway, good to see you putting the effort in and i am sure you will be rewarded soon for it.
Wed 11/03/09 at 22:46
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Great review! You really put the effort into it :) Fingers crossed you'll be rewarded for it!
Wed 11/03/09 at 22:27
Regular
"Metal.. Gear?!?"
first review of my favorite games this is properly going to fail but here goes:

Metal Gear Solid (ps1, Game cube)

The first metal gear solid was my second metal gear solid game, it had the features to be the best play station 1 game. the story line was great and really sucked you in. Metal Gear Solid: the twins snake however had the graphics and other features that proved to be quality. Snake was always the best with his ninja type dodging moves when he fought the ninja and his deep voice. Metal gear solid boss battles where good and the storyline for a play station one game was amazing. the sneaking game play made metal gear solid what it is today.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (ps2)

This was my first ever metal gear solid game, at first i thought snake went though some major changes only to find out that he wasn't Snake at all and some complete stranger who i never realized was in the game. The tanker episode i enjoyed the most, the weather and the tanker and graphics. Snake getting a cold for being outside too long in the rain made the game realistic. Going though the tanker searching for a new type of metal gear made me realize what it was going to look like as i never saw a metal gear before. as soon as i walked in the hold of the place where metal gear was i was stunned to find a gigantic robot thing. the cut-scenes was amazing seeing the tanker explode and water filling up was awesome. The plant episode confused me a lot. At the start Raiden comes in the plant being called snake which makes the players think how is that. it didn't take me long to realize it was not Snake but someone completely new. at first i didn't really like what was happening but i started to grow attach to the story line. Raiden is properly one of the best characters of the game even though some people still hate him for being a whine and annoying. The Plant chapter was epic the boss battles with vamp, the defusing c4s and sneaking past the guards made the game really worth playing. Don't forget fighting loads of metal gears made me addicted to it's genius boss battles.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (ps2)

I waited about 3 years for this to come out after finishing metal gear solid 1 and 2. i watched the trailers and it was really worth the wait. the camouflage index made the game superb. sneaking around the jungle catching wild animals such as snakes, frogs, rats, birds, fish made a amazing survival experience. also in the game there is a do it cure section which gave you the ability to heal Snake's Wound like a broken leg, cut, or a leach suck. Falling of a tree and breaking your leg so you had to go into menu and heal your leg up was fun, the storyline was breathtaking, Playing as Naked Snake (big boss) made the metal gear solid experience truly astonishing. The boss battles where tense, fighting ocelot in a duel, fighting the pain, the fury, the fear, the end and the sorrow made the game amazing but somehow confusing. the cut scenes where great watching snake's eye get blown off was gruesome but one hell of a cut scene. the love scenes with Eva and the opening music and movie made the game fell like a James bond movie. fighting the shagohod and doing all sorts of things. metal gear solid 3 was one of the best yet.

Metal gear Solid 3: Subsistence (ps2)

Metal gear Solid 3: Subsistence had an improvement to the original metal gear solid 3, with an improved camera angle making the camera follow snake instead of looking at a certain section. Metal gear solid 3 subsistence had another amazing improvement. Metal Gear Online. The online was amazing, there was 4v4 you could be the KGB leaded by Snake, the Ocelot unit followed by the only ocelot. and the gru leaded by sokolov. each leader had their own special moves, Ocelot had the revolver and his gun taunt, sokolov had stealth and snake had his camouflage. this made the online really fun and enjoyable. online was taken down about a year after release. which upset most of the metal gear online community.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the patriots (ps3)

Metal gear solid 4 is the best metal gear solid game ever. you are in the middle east searching for liquid (ocelot) Snake who now is old due to his clone gene. is feeling the pain of being old. as he sets out to do his last mission with the mk2 controlled by otacon. in the middle east Ocelot uses the guns of the patriots which makes soldiers or whoever has nanomachines have a seizure. The graphics in this game where amazing you can see the aging snake in the game with winkles and Grey hair.
The cut scene's in this game were long which some people found very annoying. the camouflage in the game was great with snake's octocamo which changed into the texture and looked like whatever snake was on, so snake wouldn't be found.
in metal gear solid 4 some questions from previous metal gear solid games where answered. Raiden appears in metal gear solid 4 as a exoskeleton cyborg ninja. he has a rivalry with vamp. he helps snake along the way. in metal gear solid 4 you went back to shadow Moses witch where you first played in the first metal gear solid. the ability to drive a metal gear in the game made the game the best so far.
the online in metal gear solid 4 was amazing, you can customize your person and play in different game modes.

Out of all the metal gear solid games the one i have to say is the best out of them all is metal gear solid 2.

thanks for reading
Raimundo :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.