GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BAFTA Game winners"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/03/09 at 09:02
"possibly impossible"
Taken from BAFTA Nominations site

BEST GAME
SUPER MARIO GALAXY

ACTION & ADVENTURE
FABLE II

ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT
LITTLEBIGPLANET

CASUAL
BOOM BLOX

GAMEPLAY
CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE

HANDHELD
PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE

MULTIPLAYER
LEFT 4 DEAD

ORIGINAL SCORE
DEAD SPACE

SPORTS
RACE DRIVER: GRID

STRATEGY
SID MEIER’S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION

STORY & CHARACTER

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT
SPORE

BAFTA ONES TO WATCH AWARD
in association with Dare to Be Digital
BORO-TORO

Academy Fellowship
NOLAN BUSHNELL

GAME Award of 2008
The only award to be voted for by the public
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Some interesting choices, but nice to see all the consoles getting some recognition. It's great to see Super Mario Galaxt as the best game of the year though, beating COD4, which seems to have taken over many of the other awards!

It's also interesting to see Left4Dead getting best Online game. Obviously the game is built from the ground up as an online experience, but defeating COD4 in this aspect, probably the most talked about online game ever, is a great accolade.

Littlebigplanet is also awarded for its art, though I'm sure it would have had a chance if there was an award for best game innovation too.

And it's good to see Atari and Pong designer Bushnell finally getting some recognition for his achievements in Videogames. Pong came out the year I was born and was one of the major influences on home gaming. The Bafta site mentions this interesting fact nugget: "At one stage, the sheer number of people playing the game was reputed to have caused a coin shortage in the US, with additional coins being minted to meet demand."
Thu 12/03/09 at 19:21
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
spoonbeast wrote:
> I do question some of the choices. For instance, cod 4 as a
> possible option. Personally its a bit too old to be considered a
> game of choice for 2009.

The problem is that these awards were delayed from last year. So anything released at the latter end of 2007 was eligible. I assume future awards will cover march to feb though.
Thu 12/03/09 at 18:54
Regular
"eat toast!"
I do question some of the choices. For instance, cod 4 as a possible option. Personally its a bit too old to be considered a game of choice for 2009.

Whilst some come as no surprise, such as the handheld or artistic achievement, Most of them are a farce.

Cod 4 best story/character? Mass effect should have won that with style. With best audio as well. Who the hell thought some gruff american or SAS guy had more character then those in ME?

Absolute rubbish.

One pleasant surprise is seeing l4d as best multiplayer and its the only thing that keeps my hopes that there are still decent gamers who choose the deserveing games. Not some garbage that everyones played or is rubbish.

Boomblox is another surprise, the WII would have won the casual gaming award.

Now, next year, i expect empire total war to win something big. Otherwise, the baftas can go to hell.
Wed 11/03/09 at 21:37
Regular
"Metal.. Gear?!?"
i voted for left 4 dead
i hate cod4 its not fun at all.
Wed 11/03/09 at 19:40
"possibly impossible"
Many have raised this point since last night's announcement, but there wasn't a competition in 2008 and they decided the cut off would be prior to November 2007 for 2008's awards.

The other thing i couldn't believe is that some are saying that BAFTA kept things 'safe' by choosing a less violent game for their winner. I say just try Super Mario Galaxy without smiling!
Wed 11/03/09 at 17:18
Regular
"I like turtles"
Interesting post there pb.Call Of Duty 4 came out in 2007,so should it really have been eligible for its awards ?.Anyway,it is a truly great game and everyone still seems to love it,be a good one for a few of us on here to have a blast on one night.
Wed 11/03/09 at 09:02
"possibly impossible"
Taken from BAFTA Nominations site

BEST GAME
SUPER MARIO GALAXY

ACTION & ADVENTURE
FABLE II

ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT
LITTLEBIGPLANET

CASUAL
BOOM BLOX

GAMEPLAY

HANDHELD
PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE

MULTIPLAYER
LEFT 4 DEAD

ORIGINAL SCORE
DEAD SPACE

SPORTS
RACE DRIVER: GRID

STRATEGY
SID MEIER’S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION

STORY & CHARACTER

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT
SPORE

BAFTA ONES TO WATCH AWARD
in association with Dare to Be Digital
BORO-TORO

Academy Fellowship
NOLAN BUSHNELL

GAME Award of 2008
The only award to be voted for by the public
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Some interesting choices, but nice to see all the consoles getting some recognition. It's great to see Super Mario Galaxt as the best game of the year though, beating COD4, which seems to have taken over many of the other awards!

It's also interesting to see Left4Dead getting best Online game. Obviously the game is built from the ground up as an online experience, but defeating COD4 in this aspect, probably the most talked about online game ever, is a great accolade.

Littlebigplanet is also awarded for its art, though I'm sure it would have had a chance if there was an award for best game innovation too.

And it's good to see Atari and Pong designer Bushnell finally getting some recognition for his achievements in Videogames. Pong came out the year I was born and was one of the major influences on home gaming. The Bafta site mentions this interesting fact nugget: "At one stage, the sheer number of people playing the game was reputed to have caused a coin shortage in the US, with additional coins being minted to meet demand."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.