GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do I play games from the US ?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/02/01 at 17:00
Regular
Admittedly I'm not a PS "fan" , but I was thinking of buying a PS2 .

My question is : does it need some kind of card or other utility to play games from all over the globe -- US , Japan and such ?

Much appritiate the help :-) !

-Gabi.
Thu 08/02/01 at 18:27
Yeah, I meant reigon 2... :)
Thu 08/02/01 at 17:45
Regular
You can't play Japanese games on a PAL PS2 but you can watch Jap DVD's because we share the same DVD region ie. region 2. You can't play jap games on a UK ps2 because UK ps2's are PAL and jap ps2's are NTSC and so are the games. Just like PS1.
Wed 07/02/01 at 21:27
Regular
Japan and the Uk are Region 2, but you probably meant that anyway.
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:03
I do believe you can play Japaniese games on your UK PS2. If my theory is correct, (Reigon 1: UK and Japan) then you should have no problem.

Reading the instructions is the main problem!
Wed 07/02/01 at 19:00
NOBODY GET THEIR PS2 CHIPPED!!! If you will, the gaurantee will expire and if it does not work, you are STUFFED.
Wed 07/02/01 at 07:19
region 4 dvd is aussie and new zealand-
i have played a couple of zone 1 disks on my NZ PS2 and they seem to go ok, not all zone 1 disks will play so unles you have a good friend at the video store who will try it out in the shop for you your stuffed. the gu at the shop around the corner from me says he has tried quite a few and it is more of the newer movies that wosk (dont ask me why) but im not complaining i could watch the x-men or chicken run while its only been at the pickys a week
Wed 07/02/01 at 02:23
There are sites that claim to have beaten the Ps2 security on playing US and back up games, unfortunately this means stripping down your PS2 and removing certain bits at £300+ it would be potentially painful if its attempted on mine.
Tue 06/02/01 at 22:24
Regular
Region 4 is Australia I believe.
Tue 06/02/01 at 20:24
Where is region 4?
Tue 06/02/01 at 17:28
It's UK games only. You would need to get it chipped (much the same way as you had to for PSOne). I don't know if anyone's offering this service as yet. I haven't looked, as I'm quite happy with UK stuff. And it's region 2 only for DVDs (Though I've heard rumours that some region 4 may work. Even if it's true, it's still not hugely helpful!).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.