GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One Year Ends..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/05/03 at 20:27
Regular
Yes, for me, like many many 20/21 years olds, it is the end of year. University year that is. June, July August and most of September are free for creative past-times like drinking, parties, gaming, sitting in the sun (ha!) and doing some kind of dissertation research.

However, as time rushes onwards to that fateful day when I actually have to seek employment, and with no clear idea of one career to pursue, my thoughts have turned to what I would like to do, and why. In all likelihood I'll definitely get a 2.1, possibly a 1st with a bit of luck and extra effort.

First off my early childhood ambitions to be in the Airforce were crushed back in the days of secondary school when I found that my height, and more importantly the eye condition for which I wear glasses, ruled out anything involving actual planes. Sad to say, but too many viewings of top gun - despite that being the US Navy - means I only wanted to be in RAF if it meant flying.

Secondly, the Police. It means getting somewhat fitter than I am now, I'll admit to being overweight. But it is something I've always been interested in, though the danger is that I've romanticised the job after too many tv shows, having said that I'm not under any illusion about real police work. But, can I take seeing, what is generally the worst side of people lives, day in day out, and then leave it at the end of the day ?

Thirdly, teaching. Yes, the pay sucks at first, but there are numerous incentives which are pretty generous, and it is doing something that, whilst put down by many, has respect, and there is scope for working upwards as I'll have a degree to being with, then do a years PGCE, meaning I can teach secondary and juniors - having taught different groups is a pre-requisite for head of department etc.

Fourthly, do I forget doing anything worthwhile and settle down to some graduate management training scheme with one of a multitude of companies, earn a decent wage, but spend most of my working life doing little more than being involved in selling things. Alternately there's the government side such as Civil Service....

It sounds cliche, but I'd really like to do something which, at the end of , I can look back and see it made a difference in some small way to someone.

Any advice anyone ? Just interested as to what people think, if anything !
Sat 31/05/03 at 10:34
Regular
"Otaku"
I'd wondered a while ago about something games related, but I figured that it's long term potential was pretty short unless you happened to work your way into the big developers, and seeing as they can pick and choose who they want the realistic chances seem slim.

Same goes for games journalism, I only have English up to A Level (A for literature) and 2 GCSE's in it (A* for both language and literature), and my degree isn't journalism related. Even so might be something I look into.

Thanks for reading though, we had someone come in to give a talk about employment after graduation a couple of months ago. Everyone, from the way this woman told us she'd had 5 jobs in 2 years, averaging around 16-18k on each, got the impression that University was a complete waste of time for most jobs.
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:33
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Cheers, I'll see how much sucking I can do \o/
Fri 30/05/03 at 23:17
"slightlyshortertagl"
although I can't help you HALO fan (sorry)

I can help Miserableman. The dudes at Climaz run a forum, don't know if you've heard of it or something but it's advertised in the actual game.

www.planetmgp.com

It would be a good idea to get on Climax's good side :-D
Fri 30/05/03 at 23:13
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Well, if you're going to come with something do it fast, as I'm two weeks away from being dropped into the abyss of the real world, and I need a job plenty quickee. This is my final year and I'm broke, knackered and in severe need of employment. I could have got a 2:1 but my project went completely t*ts-up, and now I may not even get a pass with honours :O|

Chances are I'll go into some kind of junior tech-support role (graduating as I am from a Software Engineering degree) before building up a portfolio of work and getting a job at a games firm. The guys who wrote Moto GP are half an hours walk away and are advertising, but beyond that I'd be looking at an hour and a half commute :O| But these are my problems, not yours, I'm lucky enough to have always known what I want to do, since I was about 10.
Fri 30/05/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Otaku"
Yes, for me, like many many 20/21 years olds, it is the end of year. University year that is. June, July August and most of September are free for creative past-times like drinking, parties, gaming, sitting in the sun (ha!) and doing some kind of dissertation research.

However, as time rushes onwards to that fateful day when I actually have to seek employment, and with no clear idea of one career to pursue, my thoughts have turned to what I would like to do, and why. In all likelihood I'll definitely get a 2.1, possibly a 1st with a bit of luck and extra effort.

First off my early childhood ambitions to be in the Airforce were crushed back in the days of secondary school when I found that my height, and more importantly the eye condition for which I wear glasses, ruled out anything involving actual planes. Sad to say, but too many viewings of top gun - despite that being the US Navy - means I only wanted to be in RAF if it meant flying.

Secondly, the Police. It means getting somewhat fitter than I am now, I'll admit to being overweight. But it is something I've always been interested in, though the danger is that I've romanticised the job after too many tv shows, having said that I'm not under any illusion about real police work. But, can I take seeing, what is generally the worst side of people lives, day in day out, and then leave it at the end of the day ?

Thirdly, teaching. Yes, the pay sucks at first, but there are numerous incentives which are pretty generous, and it is doing something that, whilst put down by many, has respect, and there is scope for working upwards as I'll have a degree to being with, then do a years PGCE, meaning I can teach secondary and juniors - having taught different groups is a pre-requisite for head of department etc.

Fourthly, do I forget doing anything worthwhile and settle down to some graduate management training scheme with one of a multitude of companies, earn a decent wage, but spend most of my working life doing little more than being involved in selling things. Alternately there's the government side such as Civil Service....

It sounds cliche, but I'd really like to do something which, at the end of , I can look back and see it made a difference in some small way to someone.

Any advice anyone ? Just interested as to what people think, if anything !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.