GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Banjo Kazooie; Nuts & Bolts"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts'.
Tue 03/03/09 at 21:56
Regular
"THFC"
So the Bear and Bird are back for their third game, this time on a Microsoft console. The two previous games were big hits on the N64 and fans enjoyed the humour that was ever present in the game, along with the colourful, open levels that allowed players to explore with an array of moves at their disposal.

Well Grunty the Witch is back, while Banjo & Kazooie have been playing Xbox and eating Pizza, Grunty has worked her way from under the pile of rocks where she was last seen, back to the surface where this time she will finally be the winner! The animal duo are seen lazing about and are very out of shape, when they hear something in the distance and waddle off to investigate. Finding only the head of their nemesis, they find little reason for concern and begin to mock her.

Soon the Lord of Games (L.O.G) appears, a retro looking machine who is, well the Lord of all Games, he creates them, makes the rules and is now turning his attention to Banjo and Kazooie. In this first scene the humour is among the best i have seen for some time in a computer game, with references to plenty of RARE games that have been big hits and some which did not make the cut. In short, L.O.G. gives Grunty a body back and zaps the fat off our heroes, allowing them to go head to head for another time.

The concept is simple and we have seen this story 100 times, but it is still an enjoyable experience to take in, the simplicity allows for more humour at its own expense. Like in the past two games, you will go from level to level collecting music notes and jiggys - unlocking new levels, beating Grunty and then also taking on L.O.G.

While this is the same concept as many games, the good ol folks at Rare have chucked us a nice big treat with this game. The ability to create endless amounts of veichles to use in the levels and aid you in completing the various "missions" you will undertake. If you want to go by land, air or water it is all possible i this game, just collect parts and blueprints, then away you go, making your very own, super fast plane which has ejection seats and egg guns on the wings. Oh and don't forget the grenade turret while your there.

Anything is possible and this is what really captured my attention. I loved being able to make all the different things to suit what i was going to do and get the best time possible, unlocking a special trophy aswell as the required Jiggy to go on in the game.

While the basis of a generic platforming game is there, a great adventure and creative side to it have been slapped on for good measure. Making for a memorable and addictive game, which can be found at a great price! Any Banjo & Kazooie fan will love the story, script, characters and tasks that need to be completed. Some may not like the emphasis on creating cars, planes and other transportation devices. But i would have to say if you do like your bright, happy and fun games then this is worth a look. While it has a childish appearance there is a much deeper game with a wide range of variation for all age gamers!

The fun does not just stop at the one player game, you can take your made up veichles on Xbox live and battle it out against friends and other players a like. With several modes of play online, from racing to fighting, you will be kept entertained by this addition to the game, but the annoyance is that if you have completed the game and have the best blueprints then in games where you can use any veichle you have created becomes frustrating if you are new to the game. It is still a new and inovative idea that is a breath of fresh air to play.

So to summarise, a quirky platform game with more than just jumping about involved, with much loved characters and a script that earns credit on its own. This is one game that any fan of the series, genre or even readers who seem intrieged should rush out and buy.

Some people may find it repetitive and while this is true, i think the game remains enjoyable for a long time and with some fun achievements and missions to get through, you will be coming back for more!

A solid 8/10

I know i gave a lot of praise and some of you would expect a 9 or 10 after reading, the flaws do come from being a bit repetitive in places. The story is not original but still fun to play through, and i think it is just one of them games that is good but not great!

Thanks for Reading.
Tue 03/03/09 at 21:56
Regular
"THFC"
So the Bear and Bird are back for their third game, this time on a Microsoft console. The two previous games were big hits on the N64 and fans enjoyed the humour that was ever present in the game, along with the colourful, open levels that allowed players to explore with an array of moves at their disposal.

Well Grunty the Witch is back, while Banjo & Kazooie have been playing Xbox and eating Pizza, Grunty has worked her way from under the pile of rocks where she was last seen, back to the surface where this time she will finally be the winner! The animal duo are seen lazing about and are very out of shape, when they hear something in the distance and waddle off to investigate. Finding only the head of their nemesis, they find little reason for concern and begin to mock her.

Soon the Lord of Games (L.O.G) appears, a retro looking machine who is, well the Lord of all Games, he creates them, makes the rules and is now turning his attention to Banjo and Kazooie. In this first scene the humour is among the best i have seen for some time in a computer game, with references to plenty of RARE games that have been big hits and some which did not make the cut. In short, L.O.G. gives Grunty a body back and zaps the fat off our heroes, allowing them to go head to head for another time.

The concept is simple and we have seen this story 100 times, but it is still an enjoyable experience to take in, the simplicity allows for more humour at its own expense. Like in the past two games, you will go from level to level collecting music notes and jiggys - unlocking new levels, beating Grunty and then also taking on L.O.G.

While this is the same concept as many games, the good ol folks at Rare have chucked us a nice big treat with this game. The ability to create endless amounts of veichles to use in the levels and aid you in completing the various "missions" you will undertake. If you want to go by land, air or water it is all possible i this game, just collect parts and blueprints, then away you go, making your very own, super fast plane which has ejection seats and egg guns on the wings. Oh and don't forget the grenade turret while your there.

Anything is possible and this is what really captured my attention. I loved being able to make all the different things to suit what i was going to do and get the best time possible, unlocking a special trophy aswell as the required Jiggy to go on in the game.

While the basis of a generic platforming game is there, a great adventure and creative side to it have been slapped on for good measure. Making for a memorable and addictive game, which can be found at a great price! Any Banjo & Kazooie fan will love the story, script, characters and tasks that need to be completed. Some may not like the emphasis on creating cars, planes and other transportation devices. But i would have to say if you do like your bright, happy and fun games then this is worth a look. While it has a childish appearance there is a much deeper game with a wide range of variation for all age gamers!

The fun does not just stop at the one player game, you can take your made up veichles on Xbox live and battle it out against friends and other players a like. With several modes of play online, from racing to fighting, you will be kept entertained by this addition to the game, but the annoyance is that if you have completed the game and have the best blueprints then in games where you can use any veichle you have created becomes frustrating if you are new to the game. It is still a new and inovative idea that is a breath of fresh air to play.

So to summarise, a quirky platform game with more than just jumping about involved, with much loved characters and a script that earns credit on its own. This is one game that any fan of the series, genre or even readers who seem intrieged should rush out and buy.

Some people may find it repetitive and while this is true, i think the game remains enjoyable for a long time and with some fun achievements and missions to get through, you will be coming back for more!

A solid 8/10

I know i gave a lot of praise and some of you would expect a 9 or 10 after reading, the flaws do come from being a bit repetitive in places. The story is not original but still fun to play through, and i think it is just one of them games that is good but not great!

Thanks for Reading.
Wed 04/03/09 at 22:25
Regular
Great review :)

I haven't played enough of this yet, but I have enjoyed the humour so far...especially the Dallas spoof!
Wed 04/03/09 at 23:00
Regular
"THFC"
lol Thanks - i enjoy Kazooies remarks about some of the lesser Rare games at the start, it is simple enough humour and at times stupid name calling, but all in good spirit and makes for a good game
Fri 06/03/09 at 14:21
"possibly impossible"
I got put off by the demo originally, but everyone tells me that the game itself is much better.

Good review and well done on the GAD.
Fri 06/03/09 at 15:05
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks for the win guys! Hope you all enjoy the review and find it helpful

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.