GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bizarre beliefs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/05/03 at 10:32
Regular
Have you ever stumbled across a seriously unusual and bizarre belief?

-Taken from "Liber Null & Psychonaut" by Peter J. Carroll, a book about the occult practices of an esoteric Order known as "The Illuminates of Thanateros":

(quote)
"The Black Rite
This rite consists of the forceful entry of a spirit into the body of an already inhabited being. It is both dangerous and unreliable and used only in certain peculiar and desperate situations. It will sometimes result in there being a double life-force in one body, if the invading-spirit fails to displace the occupant. In this case the victim will seem to have gone mad. In any case the memory of the taken-over being remains, and the invading-being will have to work through this.
Once a suitable victim has been selected, he is taken to a secure, secluded chamber and drugged unconscious, usually by opiates or other powerful narcotics. The reincarnating Adept retires to the same chamber and finishes his present existence, often using a massive overdose of the same drug. Adepts have been known to use their own students for this purpose. This allows some control over the memory which they are to possess. The same advantage and others exist with one's natural children."
(unquote)

Sinister. To think that someone might actually put this kind of belief into practice is disturbing to say the least.
This is an extreme example of the bizarre things some people believe in, but when we step back and analyse the more so-called "normal" beliefs held around the world, maybe it's not quite as "stand-out" bizarre as it first may seem.

For instance: I'm always amazed how millions of people around the globe actually believe they have a "personal relationship" with the infinite creator of the universe.
Now they may be right, they may be wrong, who really knows, that's not for me to say - but either way it has and is generally accepted as "normal" to hold such a bizarre belief.

And then there's the belief which actually believes that we can create peace and stability by perpetrating mass slaughter. This belief was last seen in action only a few weeks ago in Iraq. And some of us even welcomed home those responsible for the one-sided aggressive destruction as "heroes" on their return.

Bizarre?
Tis to me, but maybe I'm viewing it from the wrong perspective....

We humans are fascinating creatures aren't we - capable of many weird and wonderful things, but sometimes I wonder if our intelligence has somewhere along the line crossed onto the wrong rails and it can't get back.

Ideas are one thing, but to believe in such mind-sets as those above and actually think that you are right strikes me as bizarre indeed. And when extreme beliefs are backed-up with committed action, that's when it all gets really serious.
Just think how a simple belief in an invisible God has been used and manipulated to justify acts of monstrous violence and suppression over the course of history.... Bizarre?
Wed 28/05/03 at 19:51
"possibly impossible"
There are these people who believe in a strange kind of religion.

It involves wearing garments adorned with several colours, their gods are named on some of these so that others can be hopefully influenced by their worship.

They attend regular 'mass' sometimes with vast numbers of other people, and their gods appear before them, led by an overall god.

There are also many sects of this religion, each believing in their own gods. The most devout of these who have blind faith and are deeply troubled by their religion often wage war against their opposition, including the innocent who happen to worship those different gods.

They spend millions of pounds and have worshippers around the world, their prize religious posessions often include strange white and black spherical objects. They believe that they should try to emulate their gods as well. Some believe they can reach the heights of goddliness themselves if they are chosen, while others just strive to recieve smaller rewards like golden chalices and praise from their fellow worshippers.

Every year their gods are tested and those who are stronger than the rest become the ultimate gods, though there are smaller sects that dispute these tests. The tests are then held worldwide, when the gods from each country are tested against each other.

As I said, it's a strange religion and people who follow it can often be blinded in to sacrificing the rest of their life for their faith.
Wed 28/05/03 at 14:05
Regular
Nomad Soul wrote:
> For instance: I'm always amazed how millions of people around the
> globe actually believe they have a "personal relationship"
> with the infinite creator of the universe.

If you talk to imaginary people you're labelled a "schizophrenic". If you talk to an unseen God you're "religious". People are topsy-turvy.
Wed 28/05/03 at 10:32
Regular
Have you ever stumbled across a seriously unusual and bizarre belief?

-Taken from "Liber Null & Psychonaut" by Peter J. Carroll, a book about the occult practices of an esoteric Order known as "The Illuminates of Thanateros":

(quote)
"The Black Rite
This rite consists of the forceful entry of a spirit into the body of an already inhabited being. It is both dangerous and unreliable and used only in certain peculiar and desperate situations. It will sometimes result in there being a double life-force in one body, if the invading-spirit fails to displace the occupant. In this case the victim will seem to have gone mad. In any case the memory of the taken-over being remains, and the invading-being will have to work through this.
Once a suitable victim has been selected, he is taken to a secure, secluded chamber and drugged unconscious, usually by opiates or other powerful narcotics. The reincarnating Adept retires to the same chamber and finishes his present existence, often using a massive overdose of the same drug. Adepts have been known to use their own students for this purpose. This allows some control over the memory which they are to possess. The same advantage and others exist with one's natural children."
(unquote)

Sinister. To think that someone might actually put this kind of belief into practice is disturbing to say the least.
This is an extreme example of the bizarre things some people believe in, but when we step back and analyse the more so-called "normal" beliefs held around the world, maybe it's not quite as "stand-out" bizarre as it first may seem.

For instance: I'm always amazed how millions of people around the globe actually believe they have a "personal relationship" with the infinite creator of the universe.
Now they may be right, they may be wrong, who really knows, that's not for me to say - but either way it has and is generally accepted as "normal" to hold such a bizarre belief.

And then there's the belief which actually believes that we can create peace and stability by perpetrating mass slaughter. This belief was last seen in action only a few weeks ago in Iraq. And some of us even welcomed home those responsible for the one-sided aggressive destruction as "heroes" on their return.

Bizarre?
Tis to me, but maybe I'm viewing it from the wrong perspective....

We humans are fascinating creatures aren't we - capable of many weird and wonderful things, but sometimes I wonder if our intelligence has somewhere along the line crossed onto the wrong rails and it can't get back.

Ideas are one thing, but to believe in such mind-sets as those above and actually think that you are right strikes me as bizarre indeed. And when extreme beliefs are backed-up with committed action, that's when it all gets really serious.
Just think how a simple belief in an invisible God has been used and manipulated to justify acts of monstrous violence and suppression over the course of history.... Bizarre?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.