GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For all you philosophers...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/05/03 at 22:43
Regular
OK, this could have gone in Movies, Books, etc, but who cares?

I keep reading about how the Wachowski's are so proud about their knowledge of different philosophies, West, East, African etc. But I've never read anything like that, so I wanna try! Anyone got any ideas on where to start? I know that's a bit of a general question, but any pointers would be cool.

Cheers

GL
Wed 28/05/03 at 08:15
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm sure there's loads of general source-books on 'the history of eastern philsophy', 'the history of western philosophy' - something that gives a concise overview is probably the best place to start.

Personally I like J.Krishnamurti [eastern], Nietzsche [western].
Wed 28/05/03 at 03:46
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Over last new years I was at this Buddhist retreat in Scotland. Someone mentioned it, it seemed like a cool idea...

While there, one of the monks was doing a talk which covered some philosophy, including that Descarte's 'I think therefore I am' was the west's foundation of all knowledge, but the east viewed it as the foundation of all ignorance.

Intruiged, I bought this book from their visitor shop thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/ [SPACE] 0805211039/qid=1054089176/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/ [SPACE] 202-5251562-3854202

(Or search 'monk philosopher' on amazon.co.uk - it'll be the only book result).

Just after buying it I was into exams, and the last uni term has been hectic, so I've not had a chance to read it. But I get the impression it rules, and would make a good starting point to assess the two very different philosophies.

The fact they sell it in a Buddhist gift shop may hint to which side it would favour, but to comment on such things at least one of us would have to read it...
:^)
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:43
Regular
"I love Dave music"
OK, this could have gone in Movies, Books, etc, but who cares?

I keep reading about how the Wachowski's are so proud about their knowledge of different philosophies, West, East, African etc. But I've never read anything like that, so I wanna try! Anyone got any ideas on where to start? I know that's a bit of a general question, but any pointers would be cool.

Cheers

GL

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.