GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Promotion Wars 2 up in smoke..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 21:55
Regular
...so to say.

DW is behind with time, as this happened way back in April...but this is the news that I wasn't really looking forward to.

Prom Wars 2 has been cancelled. Read why...interesting read.

"Bad News - Posted by Adam - 23rd April @ 9.00

This past Sunday, I was working on PW2. Things seemed to be going pretty well until I got the message I'd been dreading...Out of Memory. No problem you might think, just restart your computer, close down any other programs etc. No such luck. This was with pretty much all the memory I could have, and I hadn't even run the game. The sad fact was, I wouldn't be able to finish the game. There is more left to do than I can hope to squeeze in. If I could, I would just drop some non-essential features and finish the game the best I could. Unfortunately, I would have to leave so much out that I couldn't release it and call it a game.

The reason for the memory usage? Am I pushing Visual Basic to its absolute limits? Far from it. Its simply my lack of programming knowledge which means the way I've chosen to do things are not the way they should be done. There's a lot I still need to learn about Visual Basic before I can release a game like PW2 and be proud of it. Yes, I was proud of what was there so far, but the foundations it was all built around weren't strong enough to hold it.

So, the future of Promotion Wars... Promotion Wars 2 cannot be finished. I won't be restarting it from scratch again. What I will be doing is taking a step back from these games and improving my knowledge of Visual Basic as best I can. There may be a time in the future when I feel I have the knowledge needed to make a Promotion Wars game which contains the ideas I want to include. For now, my aim is to better myself as a programmer.

A question that is bound to come up a lot is whether I'll be releasing what has been done on PW2 so far. The answer to that is no, which no doubt some people may not understand. This version of Promotion Wars, just like the infamous 2001 PW2, is just another piece of screwed up paper that won't see the light of day. I don't want Promotion Wars to be remembered for some half finished game that can't even be played properly. I know there are people out there who have put their faith in me all the way, and have waited patiently for 2 years to play PW2. All I can say is I'm sorry. I gave it my best shot, and it turns out that's not good enough at this stage in my life. Sometime in the future, maybe things will be different, and I'll have the ability I need to deliver a new Promotion Wars game.

Thank you to all the people that kept this community alive for the past 2 years. Thank you to the people who worked with me on Promotion Wars 2. Sorry your hard work and dedication has gone to waste. I couldn't have asked for a better team, and can only hope that we get to work together again in the future.

And if anybody asks whether they can have the source code to PW2 so they can finish it properly....no.

So that's it. The end of the long and rocky story known as PW2. Not the way I would have chosen it to end, but there you go.

And if you're stuck for a place to go after reading this, you could hop over to the PW Arena and join the inevitable Jennings-bashing, or you could check out this site of an up and coming sim author. I'm sure you'll all agree this lad has a very bright future ahead of him, and may one day be the next Adam Jennings..."

Taken from :: The PW Arena

I enjoyed Prom Wars and EW Revenge. EWR3 is already out, and totally kicks áss, but Prom Wars 2 would have been so much better. I feel for Adam, he was a great, honest game creator *if you can call it a game* and he doesn't really deserve it. Ah well, hopefully we will see Prom Wars in the near future.

Now I will wait for Herc to reply with "Stupid, really" or something along them lines. Ho hum.
Tue 27/05/03 at 13:00
Regular
"Plate of glue"
How sad can ya get!
Lets have war with promo's! It will be a game someday...
Tue 27/05/03 at 12:58
Regular
Promotion Wars and Extreme Warfare are like the wrestling versions of Championship Manager. You are fick which is why you haven't egver heard of it :cP
Tue 27/05/03 at 10:20
Regular
What the hell is prom wars? And why haven't I EVER heard of it?
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:14
Regular
"I like cheese"
Damn, Prom Wars was brilliant.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:21
Regular
I know. Prom Wars 2 sounded promising too :c(
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:12
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've been keeping a track of Promwars 2 and it's a shame. It sounded really good.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:11
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Yeah, in the bum.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:05
Regular
RAM HIM :c|
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:01
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Im gonna bumrape him, and make it hurt.
Mon 26/05/03 at 21:55
Regular
...so to say.

DW is behind with time, as this happened way back in April...but this is the news that I wasn't really looking forward to.

Prom Wars 2 has been cancelled. Read why...interesting read.

"Bad News - Posted by Adam - 23rd April @ 9.00

This past Sunday, I was working on PW2. Things seemed to be going pretty well until I got the message I'd been dreading...Out of Memory. No problem you might think, just restart your computer, close down any other programs etc. No such luck. This was with pretty much all the memory I could have, and I hadn't even run the game. The sad fact was, I wouldn't be able to finish the game. There is more left to do than I can hope to squeeze in. If I could, I would just drop some non-essential features and finish the game the best I could. Unfortunately, I would have to leave so much out that I couldn't release it and call it a game.

The reason for the memory usage? Am I pushing Visual Basic to its absolute limits? Far from it. Its simply my lack of programming knowledge which means the way I've chosen to do things are not the way they should be done. There's a lot I still need to learn about Visual Basic before I can release a game like PW2 and be proud of it. Yes, I was proud of what was there so far, but the foundations it was all built around weren't strong enough to hold it.

So, the future of Promotion Wars... Promotion Wars 2 cannot be finished. I won't be restarting it from scratch again. What I will be doing is taking a step back from these games and improving my knowledge of Visual Basic as best I can. There may be a time in the future when I feel I have the knowledge needed to make a Promotion Wars game which contains the ideas I want to include. For now, my aim is to better myself as a programmer.

A question that is bound to come up a lot is whether I'll be releasing what has been done on PW2 so far. The answer to that is no, which no doubt some people may not understand. This version of Promotion Wars, just like the infamous 2001 PW2, is just another piece of screwed up paper that won't see the light of day. I don't want Promotion Wars to be remembered for some half finished game that can't even be played properly. I know there are people out there who have put their faith in me all the way, and have waited patiently for 2 years to play PW2. All I can say is I'm sorry. I gave it my best shot, and it turns out that's not good enough at this stage in my life. Sometime in the future, maybe things will be different, and I'll have the ability I need to deliver a new Promotion Wars game.

Thank you to all the people that kept this community alive for the past 2 years. Thank you to the people who worked with me on Promotion Wars 2. Sorry your hard work and dedication has gone to waste. I couldn't have asked for a better team, and can only hope that we get to work together again in the future.

And if anybody asks whether they can have the source code to PW2 so they can finish it properly....no.

So that's it. The end of the long and rocky story known as PW2. Not the way I would have chosen it to end, but there you go.

And if you're stuck for a place to go after reading this, you could hop over to the PW Arena and join the inevitable Jennings-bashing, or you could check out this site of an up and coming sim author. I'm sure you'll all agree this lad has a very bright future ahead of him, and may one day be the next Adam Jennings..."

Taken from :: The PW Arena

I enjoyed Prom Wars and EW Revenge. EWR3 is already out, and totally kicks áss, but Prom Wars 2 would have been so much better. I feel for Adam, he was a great, honest game creator *if you can call it a game* and he doesn't really deserve it. Ah well, hopefully we will see Prom Wars in the near future.

Now I will wait for Herc to reply with "Stupid, really" or something along them lines. Ho hum.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.