GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does Fullscreen: 4:3 make DVDs look bad?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 19:33
Regular
I recently bought Angel series 1 on DVD and found out it is fullscreen 4:3 hope it won't spoil my enjoyment of watching the DVDs, does the picture look fine or bad?
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:47
Regular
Autolocked69 wrote:
> I recently bought Angel series 1 on DVD

my condolences
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Yes your TV will be a 4:3 aspect ratio so it will look fine running on
> it. If you had a widescreen however all your wide screen DVD's would
> be full screen (if you understand what I mean).

Not strickly true. A DVD with the ration of 1.85 would be full screen on a widescreen TV. But films that are released in 2.35 actually have borders on a widescreen TV, if the screen is set to widescreen on the DVD player.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:38
Regular
"AKA 2PacForever306"
I think that helps thanks ÂLŠ†ÂÎR.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:23
Regular
The 24 Box Set runs very nicely in Anamorphic widescreen. However I couldn't really forgive the fact that its in Dolby 2.0?! Still, with a series that is as good as that I could over look this rather simple error.

*Releases Jack Bauer from hostage compound*

Anyway back to the topic...

Yes your TV will be a 4:3 aspect ratio so it will look fine running on it. If you had a widescreen however all your wide screen DVD's would be full screen (if you understand what I mean). Thats the Beauty of having a widescreen TV but for Anamorphic and 4:3 aspect ratios your TV will be fine.

Hope this helps!
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:19
Regular
"AKA 2PacForever306"
Sorry for being a bit dumb, but I don't have a clue what type of TV I have, It's a normal large sized TV (NOT widescreen) all DVDs I have bought looks fine on my TV.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:11
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well you can only buy Angel Season 1 as 4:3 so your stuck with that. It wont look bad on a 4:3 and wouldnt look bad on a 16:9 TV. We have a widescreen TV downstairs and watching 4:3 aspect on that even at fullscreen on the widescreen isn't any worst than people think.

Any way I think Angel was filmed in 4:3 so the picture should be good. I normally buy the widescreen editions of films and watch them on my 4:3 TV in letter box only as I prefer this to having a 4:3 picture on a DVD. With the boxsets I would actually prefer a 4:3 screen as thats how they are shown on TV.
Mon 26/05/03 at 20:53
Regular
It looks fine. I take it you don't have a Widescreen? It only looks bad when you change the mode on the DVD player to run Widescreen films in full screen format when you don't have a widescreen TV. The quality isn't as good as the widescreen with some DVD's in 4:3 but it depends on whether the time was taken with the translation.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:33
Regular
"AKA 2PacForever306"
I recently bought Angel series 1 on DVD and found out it is fullscreen 4:3 hope it won't spoil my enjoyment of watching the DVDs, does the picture look fine or bad?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.