GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiple games using the same engine, is this good?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/02/01 at 11:15
Regular
In the world of gaming (FPS mainly) games run on a game engine which structures the whole game. Engines such as the Quake 2 or Half-Life engine have many games developers using their award winnig engines, but is this a good thing?

It was only the other day that I was playing Gunman Chronicles on the PC. I was expecting a whole new FPS, but when the games first menu loaded up I had a dejavou! It was the Half Life menu headined with mostly the same headings but was headed by Gunman Chronicles! I knew that the game had the Half-Life engine, but using the actual Half-Life menu was ridiculous!

So, I went onto the game. I could honestly say that here I was playing the sequel to Half-Life. Everything was the same, except for the fact that I was on a spaceship! I heard an annoucer, just as in Half Life, I saw doors being opened by the same contol panels as Half-life. It really was little things that made you think, "Half Life, Gunman Chronicles? Which one did I buy?" If you had really been anticipating Gunman Chronicles, this would be a massive let down.

So, where is gaming going to go if developers keep using other games engines? We aren't going to see many more orignal games as developers are using other engines to garrentee success in a way.

We all thought that sequels were bad as it was all in all the same game, but if you think about it games engines are just as bad, if not worst.
Tue 24/02/09 at 16:49
Regular
Depends on the system being quoted for if it is for a straightforward felt single storey roof this would be quite high should be nearer £35/£40M2 for a roof this size and provided none of the boards need replacing, the work should only take 1 day

Single ply system would be more expensive
Tue 24/02/09 at 16:31
Regular
We live in Essex, Our roofer was recommended to us and has quoted for a flat roof 8mtr x 5mtr £2800(£70 a mtr)is this a reasonable price to pay or should we get other estimates.
ps.do you travel this far?
Sun 04/02/01 at 11:43
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Wasn't Gunamn originally going to be a Half-Life Total Conversion, but ended up being released as a stand-alone game?
Sun 04/02/01 at 11:38
Regular
Yes they have their similarities but they still use their own ideas in it. Deus Ex uses the Unreal engine, that looks very familiar about from a few menu's the rest of the game, is different.
Sun 04/02/01 at 11:15
"Uzi Lover"
In the world of gaming (FPS mainly) games run on a game engine which structures the whole game. Engines such as the Quake 2 or Half-Life engine have many games developers using their award winnig engines, but is this a good thing?

It was only the other day that I was playing Gunman Chronicles on the PC. I was expecting a whole new FPS, but when the games first menu loaded up I had a dejavou! It was the Half Life menu headined with mostly the same headings but was headed by Gunman Chronicles! I knew that the game had the Half-Life engine, but using the actual Half-Life menu was ridiculous!

So, I went onto the game. I could honestly say that here I was playing the sequel to Half-Life. Everything was the same, except for the fact that I was on a spaceship! I heard an annoucer, just as in Half Life, I saw doors being opened by the same contol panels as Half-life. It really was little things that made you think, "Half Life, Gunman Chronicles? Which one did I buy?" If you had really been anticipating Gunman Chronicles, this would be a massive let down.

So, where is gaming going to go if developers keep using other games engines? We aren't going to see many more orignal games as developers are using other engines to garrentee success in a way.

We all thought that sequels were bad as it was all in all the same game, but if you think about it games engines are just as bad, if not worst.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.