GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problem with my PS2..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/07/05 at 12:09
Regular
"..."
Lately I've been playing with GTA:SA on my PS2, and when I unlocked the third city/island/area the game started to freeze sometimes, then it became more frequent, and eventually the only thing that it does is to freeze as soon as my saved game file loads up, and the PS2 starts making noises that sound like something being broken inside, when I looked at the game discs it had a lot of circular scratches, so I assumed that the PS2 caused these scratches, and I assumed that there is something wrong with my PS2, but when I tried other games nothing happened to them, and they were working fine, I even tried playing Vice City, and it worked fine, so I am not sure whether to take it to maintenance or not.. because I am not sure whether this was caused by something wrong in my PS2 or my copy of GTA:SA, so ????
Tue 12/07/05 at 01:28
If there are dust particles/debris obstructing the lens, you could just buy an compressed air can and spray onto the lens.
Mon 11/07/05 at 15:33
Regular
Be careful with this, but I got a lens cleaner. It worked very well for two years, prolonging the life of my PS2 considerably, but eventually I did get a slimline PS2 to sort out the problem more decisively.

The reason I mention being careful with the lens cleaner idea is that despite the fact that mine worked fine, some have the reputation of being lens destroyers (they use a brush that could potentially scratch the lens). Try and go for a reputable make, not that I know any because I've never really been able to describe the one I got (bought at a local store with few identifying marks on the box).

Good luck!
Mon 11/07/05 at 14:36
Regular
"..."
Is there a way to clean the PS2 lens without having to take it to Sony ?
Sun 10/07/05 at 20:54
Regular
"Superman-Super"
My PS2 did that and when i tried to open the disc drive, it wouldnt open. I told somebody and they just cleaned it and it worked. So try cleaning it ok?
Sun 10/07/05 at 15:52
Regular
"The definitive tag"
It sounds like your laser is knackered. With San Andreas being the monster of a game that it is, your PS2 may be struggling to read the disc more than it would with smaller games.

I had a similar problem with my old PS2, it wouldn't read my GT4 disc properly and it actually scratched and ruined two copies of it.

Answer? Buy a slimline PS2.
Sat 09/07/05 at 13:47
Regular
"The Red Shift"
It actually sounds the opposite.

The disk is probably damaging the PS2. The reading lens may have to be working harder to read the disk.

It doesn't sound as if the PS2 is damaging the disk, because other disks work fine.

Answer? Get a new GTA:SA disk...
Sat 09/07/05 at 12:09
Regular
"..."
Lately I've been playing with GTA:SA on my PS2, and when I unlocked the third city/island/area the game started to freeze sometimes, then it became more frequent, and eventually the only thing that it does is to freeze as soon as my saved game file loads up, and the PS2 starts making noises that sound like something being broken inside, when I looked at the game discs it had a lot of circular scratches, so I assumed that the PS2 caused these scratches, and I assumed that there is something wrong with my PS2, but when I tried other games nothing happened to them, and they were working fine, I even tried playing Vice City, and it worked fine, so I am not sure whether to take it to maintenance or not.. because I am not sure whether this was caused by something wrong in my PS2 or my copy of GTA:SA, so ????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.