GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Off-Peak Speeds :("

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/02/09 at 00:33
Regular
Out of interest , how many other people are getting their off peak connection speed throttled to 2mb and below ???.

I am only 644 Mtrs from the exchange
Have a sync speed of 8128 down 448 up
bras profile of 7150
attenuation of 15db
noise margin of 6db

And ive even bought a BT I-plate and installed that to get rid if any interference on the line.

But every night after ten and at w/ends my speed is reduced to 2mb & under.

any answers support ????
Mon 02/03/09 at 12:36
Staff
sparkiuk wrote:
> Out of interest , how many other people are getting their off
> peak connection speed throttled to 2mb and below ???.
>
> I am only 644 Mtrs from the exchange
> Have a sync speed of 8128 down 448 up
> bras profile of 7150
> attenuation of 15db
> noise margin of 6db
>
> And ive even bought a BT I-plate and installed that to get rid
> if any interference on the line.
>
> But every night after ten and at w/ends my speed is reduced to
> 2mb & under.
>
> any answers support ????

Does not look like (assuming that the broadband in your MyFreeola account is the one you are querying) that your problem is related to IPSC, the ALT or any general issues (at least at the moment). Your IP profile has been at 2500 (despite syncing at 8128) since the 25/2/2009 which was caused by a bad sync event. Unfortunately as your equipment is off at the moment I was not able to get any checks done. If you can turn your equipment on (or confirm that it is already turned on), and put a ticket on at http://freeola.com/suport/request then we will be able to request diagnostics on the line.

In the meantime I would recommend (as I would for any underperforming connection) that you check the following things.

1) That you are connected via the master socket in your premises
2) That you disconnect any extension wiring or extra equipment, (eg Sky boxes or Fax machines) for at least a few hours
3) If you have a spare microfilter, try replacing the one connected to your router.

It is possible for bad sync events to be caused externally, however generally when they are the line will usually return to normal fairly quickly as the line card software has some weighting logic in it. (ie if the line has problems for a short period it will usually return speed fairly quickly, whereas if problems are ongoing for significant periods it will react more slowly to increase speed). So for example lightning will sometimes slow down a line, but will generally reset back to normal fairly quickly.
Mon 02/03/09 at 10:07
"Are you sure?"
Your line is on the best IP Profile you can have, so you are lucky there!

I'm guessing your IPSC Node was too busy.

Unfortunately you can no longer switch to a less busy one as you could when 'Central Pipes' were being used :¬(

It will be interesting to see what Freeola say could be the problem.

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 01/03/09 at 20:39
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
check this out for Actual IP throughput compared to IP profile.

Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1878 kbps
Sun 01/03/09 at 19:58
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya,
im not sure on my connection stats but i too have seen a decrease in speed at random times, sometimes to the point where im waiting for pages to load which eventually display as page can't be found,but after refreshing a few times the page displays correctly. Ive not looked into why this is happening and just put it down to busy lines or BT messing with things at the exchange as they have in the past.

i have not clocked my connection speed for a while but it was always about 6-7mb and freeolas estimate is 6.2mb, ive just used Hmmm's connection speed tool (available on his website) and its generally clocking up at 4-5mb's, but sometimes as low as 2mb's.

Conclusion: The recent tests are very inconsistant and disappointing considering i live within 25meters of the exchange.

Im now off to check out the stats you guys talk of, and if you have any other advice or tips on connection speed they will be much appreciated.

Surf fast but most of all surf safe!

Tappet
Tue 24/02/09 at 00:05
Regular
Im on the Sheffield node, & since i noticed the speed issue have kept an eye on it with the bt speedtester & its all over the place.

Last w/end i watched it deteriate from 22:00pm friday and it was on the edge of dropping out all together at 03:00am saturday.

im down under 2mb as i type.

Sparki
Mon 23/02/09 at 10:50
"Are you sure?"
sparkiuk wrote:
> Out of interest , how many other people are getting their off
> peak connection speed throttled to 2mb and below ???.

My line is longer (so slower) than yours at 50db attenuation with a sync of around 56xx and IP Profile of 4500.

A week or two back I did see some periods (not just off-peak) where my throughput didn't match my profile. See my earlier post on the 3rd Feb - unfortunately it didn't get a reply.
But recently things have improved for me.

Slowing down at 10pm is to be expected for a while as off-peak starts and people schedule downloads etc. but it's shouldn't slow down continuously and for all the weekend.

Some of the IPSC nodes are busier than others, Edinburgh and some of the other more 'northern' nodes seem to be worse affected during off-peak.
What node are you on? (Unfortunately you can't switch 'nodes' like you used to be able to do with Central Pipes.)

I've also heard rumours that the ALT (Anti-loss tool) may be working differently than previously so this could also be a factor.

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 23/02/09 at 00:33
Regular
Out of interest , how many other people are getting their off peak connection speed throttled to 2mb and below ???.

I am only 644 Mtrs from the exchange
Have a sync speed of 8128 down 448 up
bras profile of 7150
attenuation of 15db
noise margin of 6db

And ive even bought a BT I-plate and installed that to get rid if any interference on the line.

But every night after ten and at w/ends my speed is reduced to 2mb & under.

any answers support ????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.