GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Domain Names - How to get and use them"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/02/09 at 19:17
Regular
Hi all,
it's time for one of my blonde moments. In a previous post I explained how I wanted to develop a site to run alongside my own that is with another server.
I have my own domain name but I don't want to transfer that name to my new site just yet. I saw that Freeola mentioned free domain names so I thought that I could get one of those and use it for a while. I filled in the form and got :theemporiumredruth.uktraders.com which I thought was a domain name but when I contacted the help desk they said it was a sub domain and I couldn't use that as my official site name.
I am not so tight that I won't pay a few quid for a domain name but I was under the impression that whilst building my site I could have a freebie domain name for testing purposes.
I did find a site that offered free domain names but I would have to create a link to their site from my own.
I think I am just having a gripe as I still can't seem to find a way to copy and upload my files on my other site.
Could someone just put a few thoughts together as to how they chose their domain names and the best method of proceeding forward with the aim of a simple easy plan to sart a site from scratch

Thanks

jobel
Fri 20/02/09 at 09:19
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You can use one of out free F500 domains with your own subdomain to create a site on any of our hosting products (Free hosting, VIP hosting and InstantPro Website Builder). Once you have created your site and are happy with it they you can purchase a domain from us or transfer one in and point that to your site using your MyFreeola account. Unless I've totally misunderstood what you are trying to do!

Edit: beaten to it by Hmmm!
Fri 20/02/09 at 09:14
"Are you sure?"
jobel602 wrote:
> I saw that Freeola mentioned free domain names so I thought
> that I could get one of those and use it for a while. I filled in the
> form and got theemporiumredruth.uktraders.com which I
> thought was a domain name but when I contacted the help
> desk they said it was a sub domain and I couldn't use that as
> my official site name... Thanks
> jobel

Hi jobel602,
The free Freeola web space you have signed up for would be fine for your testing purposes - i.e. To see if you can get you site working with Freeola's setup.

Yes the free space is a sub-domain address, but you can also use that as your 'official' address, so I can't understand why you've been told you can't? A browse through the Freeola Customer Sites will show you that many people do.

I make use Freeola's IP3.co.uk domain as it's nice and short. So my free name/space is www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk.

Perhaps I'm missing something and you asked Freeola for some other services to go with you Free space which you can only get when registering a domain name?

NB.
Did you see all the answers in your original post here? Especially the Cold Fusion stuff...

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 19/02/09 at 20:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Excellent reply Tappet, mi old son :-)
Thu 19/02/09 at 20:43
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya,
As a starting point, it's important to remember that even though Internet browsers contain a "favorites" feature which makes it easy for visitors to revisit your site, they have to actually type in your web site address or find you web site via a search engine. The following 3 points should help you choose a suitable address.

Short and simple. Shorter is always better. Short web addresses are easier to remember and reduce the possibility of typing errors that can trip up potential visitors.

Descriptive. Your web address should preview the content visitors will encounter when they visit. Your name or company name in itself, may not provide enough of a clue to your web site's contents to entice visitors to drop in.

Memorable. The very best URL's combine simplicity and description with an unique element—often a play on words—that helps potential visitors remember your web site address hours, days, or even months after they first encounter it.

So when choosing your web address, keep this in mind....
Shorter the better
Use some descriptive key words
While keeping it easy to remember.

Once you have decided on what you would like CLICK HERE to find out if it is available and buy it, they can be as cheap as £2.99

When you have your web address return to this forum to gather more advice on building your website and getting it online.

hope this helps and sets you on your way.
Thu 19/02/09 at 19:17
Regular
Hi all,
it's time for one of my blonde moments. In a previous post I explained how I wanted to develop a site to run alongside my own that is with another server.
I have my own domain name but I don't want to transfer that name to my new site just yet. I saw that Freeola mentioned free domain names so I thought that I could get one of those and use it for a while. I filled in the form and got :theemporiumredruth.uktraders.com which I thought was a domain name but when I contacted the help desk they said it was a sub domain and I couldn't use that as my official site name.
I am not so tight that I won't pay a few quid for a domain name but I was under the impression that whilst building my site I could have a freebie domain name for testing purposes.
I did find a site that offered free domain names but I would have to create a link to their site from my own.
I think I am just having a gripe as I still can't seem to find a way to copy and upload my files on my other site.
Could someone just put a few thoughts together as to how they chose their domain names and the best method of proceeding forward with the aim of a simple easy plan to sart a site from scratch

Thanks

jobel

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.