GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Gamecube - Console-ish Enough To Win The War?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/02/01 at 23:12
Regular
The first impression of consoles often stick in your head, the PS2 still reminds me of a 'Hi-Tech Sky-Scraper' when I look at a picture of it on a vertical stand! I am not a big Playstation fan but I do appreciate what it could do for the industry.

Back to the topic, I think that when Nintendo market the Gamecube in England, and for that matter the rest of the world, despite the 'Child's Building Block' look, it will still win the good impression points from most of the public.

I would say that the parents of the children will go for the Gamecube, not because I want them to but because I think that they will see it as a 'nice' console, they are not going to buy their son/daughter an X-Box, because the X-Box IS for mature - grown-up gamers.

It is not like the SNES that a 6 year-old could play. The Gamecube's Simple and 'inviting' design will win the hearts of the children in my opinion and the power and ability will win the hearts of the hardcore gamers....and for those in between I guess they'll take a bit of both!

I also think that if Nintendo can get the gaming fans to get the Gamecube, for the reason that it is a good console with good graphics etc, then the little kids will get them without much persuasion, the expected cheap price may influence this but I would have to say that the parents of the 5-10 year old are so concerned with TV and Computer games that they will persuade their children to get Mario and Yoshi based games that they have deemed suitable for their children to play.

The Game

PS: Do you agree?
Tue 17/02/09 at 19:22
"The Boss Lady"
'You Will Love the Memories' - 2009

Montage Film Reviews freelancer Phil Arnell BA (Hons) has written a review of the film 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' 2004 (dir. Michel Gondry).

To read the review see HERE
Sat 03/02/01 at 12:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Expect that 'the best games to come back from the pub and play with mates' were/are all cartoony...

e.g. Super MArio Kart, SF2 Turbo

If you've got a problem with who your playing and not what your playing... then I'm not too sure what kinda player you are? :)

--
If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone.
Sat 03/02/01 at 11:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Theres nothing wrong with cartoony games. Its just that when this is all your system has your not gonna sell well. A lot of gamers are older now and the casual games in particular feel these Nintendo games are just for kids. Hardcore gamers feel differently becuase we've played them and grown up with them, etc. But its the same attitude with Manga/Anime. Anyone who didn't like the stuff could not accept that there was a cartoon that was aimed at a wider audience beyond kids.

As for the casual gamers, sorry to say but the ones i know -when they come back from clubbing, they don't wanna run Mickey Mouse around, or pit their Pokemon against each other, or save the Princess with the help of Mario - they wanna blow things heads off in doom style games, race cars around and play beat em up games like Tekken.

Overall games like Zelda are great - but not everyone will look at it twice because of certain aspects. And games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are not enough to shift a console - especially when the rivals have a lot more games on the shelf. Lets face it, even today Nintendo hasn't got a lot of choice compared to other consoles.

Sat 03/02/01 at 10:51
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I agree with PB. The only reason the N64 didn't do well was not because of Kiddy games but because of the latter release date compared to the PSX. If Nintendo can Get their console out before the Microsoft X-Box then they stand a good chance of getting quite a number of buyers.

I think that in time peripherals and add-ons will come but for Now Nintendo need to get the console up and running and working with no problems!

The Game
Sat 03/02/01 at 10:19
"possibly impossible"
I think the Gamecube is a novel design which distinguishes it from all the other consoles. If it gets a fan base of kids, then at least it has a following from somewhere!

Personally, I like most of the N64 games that I have, especially the 'cartoony' ones and it's a nice change to all the serious and gritty stuff on other consoles. I don't see a problem with this, there is enough room in the film world for cartoons, Manga and gritty, realistic movies, so why can't this be the same for games?

After all, it's not just children that buy and watch cartoons, manys the time that I've sat down to watch a Disney feature, just as all the times I've sat down and played so called 'kids' games. I think there's room for everything, you just have to have the right mix of games to choose from.
Sat 03/02/01 at 09:42
Regular
That's true but it don't matter if it's less powerful than everything else, we can call it next gen nintendo.
Sat 03/02/01 at 00:29
Regular
u cant really judge it until u see it in real life. i had doubts about the design of the PS2 until i saw it for real. i reckon it will look stylish because of its size
Sat 03/02/01 at 00:25
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
A choice of colours is fair enough but i don't think the fact that its small is gonna make a lot of gamers think "thats the one to have". Afterall its not as though we're all gonna shove some head phones into it and stick it in our pockets right ?
Like i said, a lot of people want a system that looks stylish as well as having the titles. And at the end of the day, the Gamecube still looks like a chunk of lego with 4 holes for controllers no matter what colour it comes in.

Sat 03/02/01 at 00:15
Regular
yeah but i dont think many people apreciate how small the gamecube actually is. its tiny! its only 15cm wide. thats smaller than the psone. it may be a bit taller but i just cant wait to see it for real. personally i think it can appeal to all gamers as u will be able to choose the colour u want. youger gamers might go for the bright colours and more mature gamers may rather go for the silver or black. personally i want a purple one to go with my GB!
Fri 02/02/01 at 23:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The thing is with Nintendo is that their games tend to be very "cartoony" a lot of the time.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of young kids that will love the gamecube - especially with titles such as Mario and Pokemon all bound to make an appearance.

I think it'll have a harder time pulling in the older gamers though. Not just for the titles, but also the look of the console. A lot of older gamers won't want to have a kiddy looking system. They want a system to look advanced and trendy - like the PS2 for example. Sony have done a good job on the PS2's appearance.

Time will tell of course but overall, hardcore gamers excluded, the casual gamers tend to want the likes of Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo 3. Not Mario, Pokemon and Zelda.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.