GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Atmosphere In Football Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/02/01 at 21:41
Regular
Loads of us have been to football matches and love games such as the Fifa series, ISS, etc.
Anyone who has been to a football match will know all about the atmosphere in the stadiums and how great it is :-)

With the systems getting more powerful all the time and more possibilities opening up to games companies, i think its about time someone (maybe EA ?) really looked into recreating, at least to an extent - the atmosphere at these matches. Most football games tend to start off with the two teams walking in line onto the pitch - why not have a build up ?
Instead of going straight to that, you could have an intro to each match showing fans walking to their seats wearing their football shirts and scarves. You could then see the two teams in their lines inside the tunnel waiting to come out. If your at a pitch such as Anfield, you could have the song "you'll never walk alone" playing with the fans singing along.
Throughout the match you could have fans singing and chanting (with some of the more sweary ones being able to be switched off in the options for people that don't wanna hear them). If one of your players commits a nasty foul in an away match (or vice versa with the opponent), the crowd could Boo that players every touch of the ball after.
If its your teams player thats being boo'd - how rewarding would it be to score with that player ;-)

If you reach a cup final or even a semi final, there could be visably more scarves being held up and team flags in the crowd. All these things would add much more atmosphere to a football game. Would certainly go nicely with the commentary ;-)

Bout time a decent free kick system was introduced as well. Been wanting to shoot curling shots into the goal for ages !

Sat 03/02/01 at 18:41
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Maybe in manager games you could make your own excuses for losing and they can be published in the papers the next day. That way we can all blame those damn rugby players making holes in our turf........Right Mr Ferguson ? :-)

As much as i hate that bloke he always adds an extra laugh to a United loss ;-))

Sat 03/02/01 at 13:45
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I was browsing through the Championship Manager 00/01 files the other day and the amount of .WAV files they have is amazing, there are loads, now surely with the 'Awesome Power' of the PS2 they can incorporate these type of files into a good Fifa Game!

There are cheers and Boos, and club specific chants! surely if a old PC game can do it the PS2 and eventually the MXB and the NGC can as well!

Dinosaur planets charachters can actally speak and the VRS that works with the Hey You, Pikachu is great. All we are asking is for these chants to be incorporated into a game!, if we can't go to the footy match we want the atmosphere in our console games!

I don't think that is too much to ask! Do you?

The Game
Sat 03/02/01 at 13:33
Regular
"Whatever!"
Its definately about time producers started to create more of an atmosphere in footy games, especially in this day and age. Getting the crowd more involved in games is what some producers are trying at the moment, such as in UEFA 2001 by Infogrames. They claim that throughout matches you will see the crowd start a mexican wave if your winning, wave their flags, let flares off in the stands and when you are losing some fans will even start to leave the stadium exposing hundreds of empty seats. It all sounds great but will have to wait and see the end results.
This is something I am hoping will be included in the next ISS, Pro Evolution, Sega Worldwide Soccer, FIFA or Premier All Stars (?) games. Could just imagine playing a cup tie at Anfield in front of a packed Kop with everyone holding up banners, flags, scarves and singing to You'll never walk alone, walk on ......!!
Sat 03/02/01 at 12:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
They tried to do this with a few titles a couple of years ago... unfortunatly after a couple of games people either got really annyoed about having to sit through it... of justskipped the whole thing in order to get to the game!?
Fri 02/02/01 at 21:41
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Loads of us have been to football matches and love games such as the Fifa series, ISS, etc.
Anyone who has been to a football match will know all about the atmosphere in the stadiums and how great it is :-)

With the systems getting more powerful all the time and more possibilities opening up to games companies, i think its about time someone (maybe EA ?) really looked into recreating, at least to an extent - the atmosphere at these matches. Most football games tend to start off with the two teams walking in line onto the pitch - why not have a build up ?
Instead of going straight to that, you could have an intro to each match showing fans walking to their seats wearing their football shirts and scarves. You could then see the two teams in their lines inside the tunnel waiting to come out. If your at a pitch such as Anfield, you could have the song "you'll never walk alone" playing with the fans singing along.
Throughout the match you could have fans singing and chanting (with some of the more sweary ones being able to be switched off in the options for people that don't wanna hear them). If one of your players commits a nasty foul in an away match (or vice versa with the opponent), the crowd could Boo that players every touch of the ball after.
If its your teams player thats being boo'd - how rewarding would it be to score with that player ;-)

If you reach a cup final or even a semi final, there could be visably more scarves being held up and team flags in the crowd. All these things would add much more atmosphere to a football game. Would certainly go nicely with the commentary ;-)

Bout time a decent free kick system was introduced as well. Been wanting to shoot curling shots into the goal for ages !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.