GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in Video Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/02/01 at 16:27
Regular
All right it has to be admitted that a lot of video games these days do portray violence.
There’s the Turok series of games that are some of the goriest games I’ve ever played on, the cerebal bore is the grossest weapon I’ve ever seen, but hang on, these are VIDEO GAMES.

Violence in games is becoming more and more popular, and parents are starting to get worried that these games are going to warp our minds so that eventually we’ll end up pulling a real gun and shooting someone. If someone can’t tell the difference between real life and what’s made merely for entertainment, they shouldn’t be playing these games.

But what if the parents stop them playing these games. They’re going to crave them more and more, aren’t they? By protecting the children so much that they eventually end up not allowing them to cross the road by themselves until they’re 12, they are going to screw the child’s head up so badly they aren’t going to know what real violence is. They will be shocked to find that fights occur in the playground, if they switch on the news and hear that a serial killer has struck for the 15th time it’s going to be such a horror to them, that their parents have led them to believe that everything in the world is fine, that Mankind is friends with one another. They won’t know what racism is; if they see some white children taunting a coloured child what are they going to believe? That this is right? They wouldn’t have been taught that racism is wrong. Suppose HE was coloured, what would he think if he got picked on? That this was normal? That this was nice?

By letting the child live a lie, the parents are turning a blind eye to the fact that he is going to some day learn that he HAS been living a lie. By not exposing him to swearing, when he hears the words he is going to think that there is nothing wrong with them.
Admittedly children shouldn’t be exposed to swearing when they’re too young but at the age of twelve (when they will probably know the words anyway) shouldn’t they know what words are right and what words are wrong? Isn’t the child entitled to know what horrors happen in the world? Aren’t they entitled to know that Mankind doesn’t like each other? Aren’t they entitled to know that Mankind has always hated each other? Quite frankly why shouldn’t they know? They’re the future generation; they are the ones that will inherit this planet after we’ve gone.

What will they teach their kids?

I would really like Meka_Dragon to give his thoughts on this.

azz
Sat 14/02/09 at 18:06
Regular
Over the next few days the forum will be updated to a new more secure server. Hopefully the address will remain the same www.panoramabeach.ukgo.com

Many thanks - Moggy4
[LINK=http://www.test.ukhot.com/phpBB3/index.php/]Link to Freeola[/NEW FORUM]
Sat 03/02/01 at 12:23
**Listening to Dido and waiting for MD**
Fri 02/02/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Why does it have to be one thing or the other?

As with most things in Life a balance between the two is whats required...

And this is what people are in the main trying to achieve... Not swearing is just good manners... and its application socially caries from year to year and situation to situation...

Equally parents arnt trying to deny their children violence, there generally trying to keep them as safe as possible, Theres always violence about, in varying degrees depending on your situation... but theres a big difference between a school fight where some kid breaks their leg and someone getting gang raped and murdered...

Theres also questions involving taste and validity of entertaiment...

Besides I've noticed that most middle class kids are brought up in an evironment excluding violence... and their school life, college life, going out and getting drunk life, generally involves a great deal less violence than those who gorw up on a greater diet of violence....

However there are and will always be maladjusted people around, there will be the person who overreacts to watching First Blood Part 2, a person who doesnt relalise the best use for a bread knife is probably for cutting bread...

But should we all be censored because of their mistakes or should we censor violence to protect ourselves from their responces?

Is a nanny state viable, or should people be trusted to make their own choices...

Personally... As an adult, I disagree with any and all cencorship... As long as I'm not hurting anyone else, and everyonces consentual, it shouldnt be a problem...

Although for children I do believe that a degree of cencoship is required, and that things be made apparent as their education continues, so they may understand better the actions of others and why they should or should not follow...

But really I think its your choice... if you think theres should be more cencoship or less, its a personal choice...
Fri 02/02/01 at 19:15
Regular
Without competition in games there isn't point in games! If you are not competing with the cpu you are competing with someone else!

competition leads to fear - fear leads to anger - anger leads to pain - pain leads to suffering - suffering leads to the dark side!

Although this is the Jedi's logic they still fight evil! They can't say they are doing this without using their emotions otherwise Obiwan Kanobe would be classed as evil in Episode 1 when Darth Maul kills Qui Gon Jinn!

Basically you need a certain degree of violence in most games to make them games!
Fri 02/02/01 at 17:29
Regular
"smile, it's free"
This is the classic 'human violence: is it genetic?' debate.

If you keep a kid in a sealed room or whatnot, and he has no experience of violence, and he has never witnessed agression - but then one day, you send someone in to take is food away before he's finished, how will he react?

"There is no right or wrong answer, but some answers are more correct than others"

My opinion is: Computer games do cause violence, but do does almost everything else in the world, and that is that.

Fri 02/02/01 at 16:54
Regular
Look mate, if we are to censor it we'd still be able to buy it, look at Germany they've not even allowed any mature games in it.
If stuff like Conkers BFD come out every so often who is there to stop us from buying them? Your parents or you could buy them, if your old enough but seeing obscene language in a game doesn't mean that the game is rated only for 18. Did you see what Age rating Perfect Dark got? 18 and i still managed to buy that. IF you buy from the internet they won't care what age you are, they all just want your credit card number, but neither way if you are prompted to give your birth details will you want to give your proper birth date or a fake one just to get an 18 rated game?
Fri 02/02/01 at 16:27
All right it has to be admitted that a lot of video games these days do portray violence.
There’s the Turok series of games that are some of the goriest games I’ve ever played on, the cerebal bore is the grossest weapon I’ve ever seen, but hang on, these are VIDEO GAMES.

Violence in games is becoming more and more popular, and parents are starting to get worried that these games are going to warp our minds so that eventually we’ll end up pulling a real gun and shooting someone. If someone can’t tell the difference between real life and what’s made merely for entertainment, they shouldn’t be playing these games.

But what if the parents stop them playing these games. They’re going to crave them more and more, aren’t they? By protecting the children so much that they eventually end up not allowing them to cross the road by themselves until they’re 12, they are going to screw the child’s head up so badly they aren’t going to know what real violence is. They will be shocked to find that fights occur in the playground, if they switch on the news and hear that a serial killer has struck for the 15th time it’s going to be such a horror to them, that their parents have led them to believe that everything in the world is fine, that Mankind is friends with one another. They won’t know what racism is; if they see some white children taunting a coloured child what are they going to believe? That this is right? They wouldn’t have been taught that racism is wrong. Suppose HE was coloured, what would he think if he got picked on? That this was normal? That this was nice?

By letting the child live a lie, the parents are turning a blind eye to the fact that he is going to some day learn that he HAS been living a lie. By not exposing him to swearing, when he hears the words he is going to think that there is nothing wrong with them.
Admittedly children shouldn’t be exposed to swearing when they’re too young but at the age of twelve (when they will probably know the words anyway) shouldn’t they know what words are right and what words are wrong? Isn’t the child entitled to know what horrors happen in the world? Aren’t they entitled to know that Mankind doesn’t like each other? Aren’t they entitled to know that Mankind has always hated each other? Quite frankly why shouldn’t they know? They’re the future generation; they are the ones that will inherit this planet after we’ve gone.

What will they teach their kids?

I would really like Meka_Dragon to give his thoughts on this.

azz

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.