GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Dwarf"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/02/01 at 12:12
Regular
I think that Red Dwarf, the TV Sci-Fi Comedy series is one of the best programs that I have ever watched. I am an absolutley huge fan of the show. Just quickly for those of you who don't know. The basic plot is that Dave Lister is the last human being alive and is three million years out into deep space. He was the only survivor of a nuclear accident. His only companions are Arnold Rimmer, a hologram of his dead bunk mate, a creature that evolved from his cat, Kryten, a sanitation mechonoid that they found aboard a ship called The Nova 5, and Holly, the ships senile computer.

Now that the final series has been made, the creators, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (collectively known as Grant Naylor) are contracted to make a film. But as Rob Grant has decided not to have anymore involment with Red Dwarf it's up to Doug Naylor.

Red Dwarf has been a barrier breaking, trend setting, truly unbelievable success so far, but as the end looms the show is missing only one thing. A games console makeover.

It would be a cross between a RPG and an adventure. You could choose anyone of the five main characters. Dave Lister, Arnold Rimmer, The Cat, Kryten or the ships computer Holly. Each one would have to complete a certain task, go down a certain path etc to eventually get their hearts desire.

In Listers case, he would be re-united with the now dead Kristine Kochanski and would get back to Earth. In Rimmers case he would get to be an officer, and feel loved by someone else. The Cat would get to meet other ladie cats and Holly would regain his IQ of six thousand.

They would encounter all kinds of strange creatures, like the Polymorph which they met in series three. There would be various sub-games that changed for each character. (For example Kryten would have to iron twenty smocks in five minutes or something like that)

There would be opportunities to take Starbug out to planets and go joyriding through astro belts.

All the little details from the show would be there, Hollys fabulous one liners, Listers general slobbiness, Rimmers impeccable tidiness, The Cats compulsion to stop every five seconds and check how he's looking and Krytens ability to absorb all the incredibly funny jokes that the rest of the crew make about him.

All the familiar areas of the ship would be there (Sleeping quarters, Science Room, Drive Room) and there could be a secret level that is set on Floor Thirteen, The Brig.

I could go one forvever but, as usual, the cost of the internet prevails.

azz
Fri 02/02/01 at 12:12
I think that Red Dwarf, the TV Sci-Fi Comedy series is one of the best programs that I have ever watched. I am an absolutley huge fan of the show. Just quickly for those of you who don't know. The basic plot is that Dave Lister is the last human being alive and is three million years out into deep space. He was the only survivor of a nuclear accident. His only companions are Arnold Rimmer, a hologram of his dead bunk mate, a creature that evolved from his cat, Kryten, a sanitation mechonoid that they found aboard a ship called The Nova 5, and Holly, the ships senile computer.

Now that the final series has been made, the creators, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (collectively known as Grant Naylor) are contracted to make a film. But as Rob Grant has decided not to have anymore involment with Red Dwarf it's up to Doug Naylor.

Red Dwarf has been a barrier breaking, trend setting, truly unbelievable success so far, but as the end looms the show is missing only one thing. A games console makeover.

It would be a cross between a RPG and an adventure. You could choose anyone of the five main characters. Dave Lister, Arnold Rimmer, The Cat, Kryten or the ships computer Holly. Each one would have to complete a certain task, go down a certain path etc to eventually get their hearts desire.

In Listers case, he would be re-united with the now dead Kristine Kochanski and would get back to Earth. In Rimmers case he would get to be an officer, and feel loved by someone else. The Cat would get to meet other ladie cats and Holly would regain his IQ of six thousand.

They would encounter all kinds of strange creatures, like the Polymorph which they met in series three. There would be various sub-games that changed for each character. (For example Kryten would have to iron twenty smocks in five minutes or something like that)

There would be opportunities to take Starbug out to planets and go joyriding through astro belts.

All the little details from the show would be there, Hollys fabulous one liners, Listers general slobbiness, Rimmers impeccable tidiness, The Cats compulsion to stop every five seconds and check how he's looking and Krytens ability to absorb all the incredibly funny jokes that the rest of the crew make about him.

All the familiar areas of the ship would be there (Sleeping quarters, Science Room, Drive Room) and there could be a secret level that is set on Floor Thirteen, The Brig.

I could go one forvever but, as usual, the cost of the internet prevails.

azz
Fri 02/02/01 at 12:28
Regular
"not dead"
He idea has alot of potential, but these days it's unlikely to happen. Games need to be able to sell worldwide, and, unless the film does really well, Red Dwarf wouldn't be a popular enough license for developeers to invest in it.
Fri 02/02/01 at 13:16
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
With the movie comming soon, Its hard to believe there wont be a game in the making?.... Hopefully it wont be the usual tie in game type?
Tue 06/02/01 at 19:57
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Did anyone know that Red Dwarf was a book first? I've read 2 of them
Tue 06/02/01 at 20:11
hate to burst your bubble but I've read all 4 four books got the entire 8 series and am the biggest RD fan you will ever find. :-)
Tue 06/02/01 at 20:15
Nope... *I* am the biggest fan there is. :D

Red Dwarf was converted into books near the fourth series, and are an excellent read. Didn't like Last Human too much mind.

Wed 07/02/01 at 19:50
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I is got Last Human and the first one. The first one is good, Last Human is a bit poor in comparision.
Thu 08/02/01 at 15:52
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> I is got Last Human and the first one. The first one is good, Last
> Human is a bit poor in comparision.

Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers is by far and away the best book, followed closely by Backwards and Last Human, I don't really like BTL much
Fri 13/02/09 at 21:54
Regular
Clearway Driver Training

11 Dart Close

Langley

Berkshire

SL3 8UY

Telephone: 01753 583038

LINK=http://www.clearway-driver-training.com/]Link to Website[/LINK]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.