GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Irritating problem."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/05/03 at 23:56
Regular
This computer is running Win98, but then I doubt it could take any newer version without dying entirely. Anyway, in the last few days it's developed an annoying problem. When I try to open a file and am taken to the "open file" menu doodah, everything is sorted by date rather than filename. It's easy to make it sort things by name with a right click, but it's really starting to grate as it won't remember that I want them sorted that way.

Normal folder views are remembering how they should be sorted perfectly fine, I've changed folder settings to no avail and I've run out of checkboxes to change. So, any ideas?
Mon 19/05/03 at 22:52
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
It's a "feature" of windows.

You really need to start realising how great these features are and thank Microsoft for putting them in for you.

;-)
Sun 18/05/03 at 18:10
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
It does it for any folder. Normal folders are remembering how they should be sorted, but when I try to open a file, they all sort by date.
Sun 18/05/03 at 14:58
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
In the folder that these things are stored, are they in alphabetical order there?
If not, try sorting them there, then going to the Open doodah.
I like this word doodah.
Sun 18/05/03 at 14:57
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Aaaah, sorry, I understand now.
Hang on.
Sun 18/05/03 at 12:57
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I don't really mean a folder, that's a confusing term. By an open file doodah, I mean the window/box that opens when you're in a program, go to the file menu and click open file.

It does it for all programs that use the standard windows system of doing this, which is most. When you open any directory it automatically sorts by date, change it to sort by name and switch directories and it sorts by date again.

So, changing the folders themselves has no effect.
Sun 18/05/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Hmmm.
My first line is pointless.

Sorry, is this just one particular folder, or all folders?
And what the hell do you mean by "Open File" doodah?
Elaborate a little.
Sun 18/05/03 at 11:38
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Have you tried it by going to the "View" menu up top?
I'm running XP just now, so it might be diff for the name. Try that or something.
Might remember it when done that way.
Or, try making a new folder, and putting the stuff into there, and change the viewing style in that new folder.
Sat 17/05/03 at 23:56
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
This computer is running Win98, but then I doubt it could take any newer version without dying entirely. Anyway, in the last few days it's developed an annoying problem. When I try to open a file and am taken to the "open file" menu doodah, everything is sorted by date rather than filename. It's easy to make it sort things by name with a right click, but it's really starting to grate as it won't remember that I want them sorted that way.

Normal folder views are remembering how they should be sorted perfectly fine, I've changed folder settings to no avail and I've run out of checkboxes to change. So, any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.