GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Email virus warning"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/05/03 at 13:54
Regular
Ok, I just got this email saying that I had sent another email to another user. This is the supposed email I sent:

To: andyjames**@hotmail.com
Subject: A humour game
MIME-Version: 1.0

(Deleted part of email addy for this guys privacy)

So, the next thing is, I don't know how this got sent to him, but it definately wasn't me. It also contained snoopy.exe, which I guess would be a virus.

So if you get an email from me, it wasn't me.

I'm scared now. Better go do a system check.
Sat 17/05/03 at 13:54
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Ok, I just got this email saying that I had sent another email to another user. This is the supposed email I sent:

To: andyjames**@hotmail.com
Subject: A humour game
MIME-Version: 1.0

(Deleted part of email addy for this guys privacy)

So, the next thing is, I don't know how this got sent to him, but it definately wasn't me. It also contained snoopy.exe, which I guess would be a virus.

So if you get an email from me, it wasn't me.

I'm scared now. Better go do a system check.
Sat 17/05/03 at 13:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yup, it definately wasn't me.

My profile name is "Howard Lloyd" where the email said it is "Chipseh".

Strange.
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Viruses like that can't affect Webmail services, only Outlook Express and so on.

Have you opened anything?
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:05
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Nope, nothing came with it.

The only possible explanation I can think of is this: The address I 'sent' this to is in the Web, PC etc forum in a topic by a guy called Cheeseman. It's the same email.

So, either someone was able to use that email account to send something to me or it was him sending 'snoopy.exe' to me.

Strange.
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:18
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I never accept .exe's via msn messenger transfer or via emails - out of fear, pure fear.
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:20
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
That's the thing, I never accepted/received/downloaded anything. I never even sent an email today, yet at 1:30 I supposedly sent snoopy.exe to this guy.
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:35
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
It was indeed a virus! A scan with Norton Anti Virus found snoopy.exe in the temporary internet files.

Glad that's sorted.
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:38
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Its one of those 'pass-on' viruses that pathetic geeks write so it is forwarded to people in your address book and keeps getting passed on. Geeks.
Sat 17/05/03 at 14:48
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Snoopy.exe was in actual fact the name for the virus: W32.klez.gen@mm

I'm glad you can remove this sort of thing. I have to download a special removal tool for it, and it's getting to work now.
Sat 17/05/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Ahhhhh..

Our old friend Klez.

This is the mother of viruses, millions of peope have had it passed on...

From Apr 20th last year:

The latest variant of the Klez virus started spreading 10 days ago. The virus e-mails itself from infected machines using a bogus "From" address randomly plucked from all e-mail addresses stored on an infected computer's hard drive or network.

Recipients of the virus-laden e-mails, not understanding that the "From" information is virtually always phony -- or even that they have received a virus -- have been clogging networks with angry and confused e-mails that are causing a great deal of cyber-havoc. People signing up for newsletters and mailing lists that they never subscribed to has been a major source of frustration for both users and the list owners.

If Klez happens to send an e-mail "from" a user to an e-mail list's automatic subscribe address, the list software assumes the e-mail is a valid subscription request and begins sending mail to the user.

That gets you the point.

It fakes the 'from' bit and emails the attachment. Loads of people have had problems because they've been accused of sending viruses...

Quote from a certain website:

"I didn't send you a virus.

No, really.

If you've gotten an email recently from a "steakandcheese.com" email address with little or no text, and an attachment with the extension scr/pif/bat/exe, it's the klez virus, and I didn't send it to you. The sender's address in the From header is faked."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.